Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - Reunions (May 15th 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DreamIsOver, Feb 10, 2020.

1. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member Thread Starter

Jason Isbell Previews New Album ‘Reunions’ With Urgent Anthem ‘Be Afraid’

“We don’t take requests, we won’t shut up and sing,” sings Isbell in the track

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit have announced their sixth album, Reunions. The Americana singer-songwriter previews the upcoming LP with the new song “Be Afraid.”

A jangly slice of low-fi indie rock, the song is a call to action for artists to use their voices to inspire or enact change — or risk being lost in a crowd of conformists. “We don’t take requests, we won’t shut up and sing,” Isbell barks, “tell the truth enough you’ll find it rhymes with everything.”

To Isbell, writing empty songs or making vacuous art is the worst one can do at this point in American history. “If your words add up to nothing then you’re making a choice, to sing a cover when we need a battle cry,” he sings before returning to the song’s final chorus of “Be afraid, be very afraid/do it anyway, do it anyway.”

“If I don’t do what I consider to be the right thing — which is speak my mind — I’m not gonna be able to sleep when I’m an old man, and I’m not gonna be able to speak to my kids about it,” Isbell told Rolling Stone Country in a wide-ranging interview in 2018. “I’d like to be able to say, ‘I did what I could, I did part of what I could,’ or you know, something that’s not just, ‘Well, I had records to sell, so I kept my mouth shut.’ I’ll never lose sleep over not selling more records, but I’ll definitely lose sleep over keeping my mouth shut and letting things happen to people who are minorities for whatever reason, be it gender or their race or their sexual preference or the fact that they ‘like science.'”

Due May 15th, Reunions once again pairs Isbell with producer Dave Cobb, who began working with the onetime guitarist for Drive-By Truckers on his 2013 breakout, Southeastern. While a track list has yet to be released for Reunions, David Crosby tweeted in December that he’d be singing with Isbell and 400 Unit member Amanda Shires on a track.

Isbell, a hardcore baseball fan, will return to the road on February 29th with a stop at Tempe, Arizona’s spring-training Innings Festival. He and the 400 Unit will also play Bonnaroo this June and join Chris Stapleton and the Highwomen for an Americana music summit at Wrigley Field in Chicago on August 29th.

Jason Isbell Previews New Album ‘Reunions’ With Urgent Anthem ‘Be Afraid’

2. DreamIsOver

3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Can’t wait for this album and really enjoying Be Afraid. There’s parts of the lyrics that make me think it’s referencing Ryan Adams.

DreamIsOver likes this.
  4. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Long after the days of Motley Crue and other L.A. metal worship, Jason Isbell has become 'my guy'. Can't wait.

Hope they get priority placement in line for vinyl. Would hate to have digital delivery the only option for this.

5. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I’ll pass

Erik B. and SavageAir like this.
  6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yeah - that song didn't grab me either - big fan though...

baptistbusman likes this.
  7. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

When I saw Jason at the Ryman in 2018 shortly after his Live at the Ryman album came out, he was incredibly elated that the majority of his sales for that album were physical album sales. I feel like he'll be pushing hard to make sure this gets a vinyl release even in spite of the current issues.

8. DreamIsOver

Only one listen so far but I really like "Be Afraid".

Came across the tracklist for the album ---

1. What’ve I Done To Help
    2. Dreamsicle
    3. Only Children
    4. Overseas
    5. Running With Our Eyes Closed
    6. River
    7. Be Afraid
    8. St. Peter’s Autograph
    9. It Gets Easier
    10. Letting You Go

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

New song sounds like Ryan Adams.

10. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

A great fan. Can’t wait.

DreamIsOver likes this.
  11. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Cautiously optimistic. I'd wager this anthem is not the best song on the album by a long shot. Ready to see a show!

12. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Uh.... No. Peaked with Southeastern.

13. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

the Beatles peaked with Rubber Soul and I still manage to tolerate Abbey Road

Skydog7, SilkHammer, Adam9 and 14 others like this.
  14. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Point taken

Skydog7 likes this.
  15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm a fan, but this song didn't grab me. I look forward to hearing the rest. It does sound awful lo-fi, as the article describes.

16. Kardiaclp

Kardiaclp Well-Known Member

Definitely looking forward to this one. Big Isbell fan.

DreamIsOver likes this.
  17. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I love "Be Afraid" - just heard it for the first time 20 minutes ago and I'm on my 4th spin.

It reminds me of another song - '80s, I'm pretty sure - especially when the chorus kicks in. I can't quite put my finger on it, though, and it's driving me crazy.

18. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Revolver, Pepper, and the aforementioned Abbey Road and I all had a good laugh at this. So did a few non-album singles.

Wait, were we talking about Jason Isbell? Heard the new song yesterday. Love it. Looking forward to the album.

19. Trainwrecker

Trainwrecker Forum Resident

I don't subscribe to Jason's version of the "truth". I can't relate anymore to his need to tell me about his "truth"

20. JerseyPride

JerseyPride Forum Resident

Overseas is a great track that he’s been playing live. Can’t wait to hear the studio version. Pumped to see him with David Crosby in June.

21. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Just visited with the ‘White Album’ and we agree that your sense of humor is adorable.

You know does have a refined sense of humor? Jason Isbell - who’s new album will be another in a string of great records, not unlike the one you felt the need to list

22. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Hmm, interesting. I could see this as a reference to Adams and the accusations in the NYT story (albeit obliquely):

And I don't think you'd even recognize a kid in the wings
    And I don't think you even see her in yourself
    She looks to you for what to do with all her delicate dreams
    But you're too terrified to be of any help

But I’m curious to know which part you think...

23. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Sounds like your version of the truth involves squeezing your eyes shut, jamming your fingers in your ears and shouting “La la la la la.”

You’re not listening anyway so why waste your time in this thread?

Skydog7, Chris DeVoe, jo66hn and 8 others like this.
  24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Definitely interested, but anyone who thinks "low-fi indie" is a selling point for the sound is barking up the wrong tree in my world. I get that it can be a catchphrase to signal non-slick immediacy, or "not Aja," but I'm not worried about that stuff with a Jason Isbell / Dave Cobb project in the first place, as long as they don't go for Raw Power '97 dynamic range. Just a dumb way to pitch a record IMO.

25. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I saw him at one of the Willie Nelson picnics and bought Something More Than Free afterwards, but that album did nothing for me. Would be willing to stream this new one at some point, but only because of other people’s more positive feedback. Maybe I missed something, who knows.

saturdayboy likes this.