Jason Isbell - how big has he gotten?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I’m working on scoring some tix for his Oregon Zoo show on 9/7. Fingers crossed.

500Homeruns likes this.
  2. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Thanks !! This was way cool. (Sorry for the lax expression, but that's what I do when I'm happy and relaxed.)

3. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Whoa ! I live in Eugene. Once saw Richard Thompson at the O Zoo. (He was a little bit mean to a woman who was dancing, compared her to an elephant waving it's trunk, haha.) But I just might do that. It's GA, so if it doesn't sell out, I'm good.

4. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I don't think it's sold out. Oregon Zoo is a great venue for concerts.

I'm working Jason Mraz/Brett Dennen the same night or I'd be there.

5. Atmospheric

The problem with GA seats at the Zoo is that the sound system is somewhat under-powered and people in lawn chairs tend to not STFU when the music is happening. I swore never again a few years back. But now they offer reserved seating up front. I’m working on some tix off Craigslist. Fingers crossed.

6. Atmospheric

Woohoo! Reserved seats to the right of the soundboard. Yes!!!!!!

Subvet likes this.
  7. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

Congrats! You are in for a treat, the 400 unit puts on a great show.

Atmospheric likes this.
  8. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Nice. A couple weeks ago I saw them on back to back nights in co-headline shows with Brandi Carlile. Both artists were beyond fantastic.

Atmospheric likes this.
  9. Atmospheric

I'm on my third or fourth listen of Nashville Sound. That keyboard player is really starting to annoy me. I don't generally care for electric pianos anyway (unless it's Joe Zawinul playing it), but some of those parts are just downright distracting. IMO of course. I think the 400 Unit would be better with more of a Hammond player who added other keys as color, rather than someone who seems to gravitate toward electric piano as his primary instrument. I noticed on the live Whipping Post video that they keyboard player didn't get a solo.

10. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Derry had a B3 at both the July shows. I don't recall how much time he spent on it vs. the other keyboards. In any case I like it all, it's not distracting to me.

[​IMG]

11. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

I saw Jason Isbell at Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison, Colorado in 2016. It was one of the best concerts that I have ever attended, and I've seen a lot of great concerts over the years.

Isbell is one of those artists who writes songs, often story songs, that get to the gut of the matter of whatever it's about, and Jason is spot on in bringing those songs to life. In addition to his stirring vocals and often incendiary guitar playing, his band is just as awesome. The performance of several of the songs that I hadn't paid that much attention to in the past made them new favorites. I wasn't the only one brought to tears multiple times during the concert.

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Saw a tweet today that Isbell is producing a new album from Josh Ritter - sounds like a great match!

13. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

There is a rule in effect that says only two bands are allowed to play Rocky Top. Can anyone name them?

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

No idea, but I hope they've broken up. (Also hope Phish doesn't still play this)

lazydawg58 likes this.
  15. trd

trd Forum Resident

16. lazydawg58

Clearly a major infraction and great example of why only two bands are allowed to play it. I'm surprised no one knows this one, or more likely no one bothers to reply. The only two bands that can play Rocky Top are The Osborne Brothers (of course) and the University of Tennessee Volunteers Marching Band.

seed_drill and snepts like this.
  17. walrus

That's two bands too many. I don't even care about UT, it's just an irritating song.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  18. lazydawg58

What is your feeling about Wagon Wheel?

19. walrus

:laugh: Every time I have to play it, I question my mother's decision to carry me to full term.

misterdecibel and lazydawg58 like this.
  20. lazydawg58

I don't hear it very often so I like it. If I heard it over and over as some do I see what you are saying. It does seem to be a running joke / thorn in the side of Bluegrass bands. I guess it is misidentified as a bluegrass song and / or the song much of the general public relates to a bluegrass lineup when they don't know anything about bluegrass. It is the new Rocky Top.

21. walrus

I've had to play it multiple times in a single gig. If I'd only ever heard it in the context of a whole Old Crow album (a band I respect but don't find myself listening to very often because I'm allergic to non-Fleck banjos), it'd be fine, but it's...a thing. Even before Hootie carbon copied it, it was a Nashville tourist thing, and I have no idea why. But the bars don't pay us much, so we basically have to play anything drunk people tip us to play. Which is at least 50% Wagon Wheel.

seed_drill and lazydawg58 like this.
  22. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I bartend at a Yacht club in a resort town in southern NJ, and it’s with great sadness that I must report that we, too, must hear that song multiple times a day. Every day.

Honestly, it’s the new Sweet Caroline

walrus and lazydawg58 like this.
  23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

He headlined Saturday night at Floydfest, which is the biggest day. Unfortunately, I could only go to one night, and my daughter wanted to see Foster the People (who headlined Friday). Brandi has closed on Sunday and played daylight sets on Saturday in the past, but she wasn't there this year.

Anyway, that would be a hell of a double bill.

24. lazydawg58

Do you ever get tipped NOT to play it again? I'm with you on Old Crow. I like them alright but don't listen to them very often. My beef with banjo is when someone plays by randomly strumming. I think you either play clawhammer, some variation of Scruggs 3 finger, or you are Bela Fleck. That is why I have so much trouble getting into the Avett Brothers. I just want to yank that banjo out of his hands and tell him to get a guitar or just stand there and sing.

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Popper's still big, but not nearly as big. He had gastric bypass years ago, as he started having angina pains while he was masturbating. This is not a joke, but a quote.

ARK, mtvgeneration and Bryan Harris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.