Jason Isbell - how big has he gotten?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

He encored last night in Austin with "Ohio" - great cover of the song - buy why Ohio now? He wasn't as vocal with off the cuff comments last night as he has been in years past. Very tight show btw, even without Amanda.

2. trd

trd Forum Resident

Maybe he’s playing Ohio because he’s trying to be less vocal with the off the cuff comments and speak through his music

Bryan Harris and SBegonias17 like this.
  3. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Maybe he’s a fan of Neil Young

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

isbell is very very good.

nary a bad record in the catalog.

his cover of 'pancho and lefty' is amazing.

Ted Bell and 500Homeruns like this.
  5. Nicholas Bryner

Nicholas Bryner Forum Resident

He first covered it back in late July at the Newport Folk Festival. He had David Crosby sit in as a special guest at the end of his headlining set.

6. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Well, "Pancho and Lefty" is one of the greatest songwriter songs ever writ. Did not know Isbell covered it... someone yelled it out as a request at the Saturday night show which I thought was odd at the time. Still wondering why "Ohio" was covered now since it's such a politically specific song, it holds up as a history lesson certainly and the younger ones were groovin' to it but it's not a song often covered. It does fit it with Isbell's overall worldview from what I know so it was not a complete shock.

7. trd

trd Forum Resident

It's about a specific incident but I think it works on a thematic level now as well. Obviously YMMV and I don't want to run afoul of the Gorts so I'll leave it at that :cheers:

ARK, Atmospheric and Davido like this.
  8. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Isbell recorded a cover of Pancho and Lefty, with Elizabeth Cook, on a 2013 Record Store Day 45. Tecumseh Valley is on the flip side. The referenced 45 is somewhat hard to come by but it's available on most streaming and download sites

9. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan. I'm really looking forward to this one. I hope he uses a different producer, or self-produces. As much as I really love Nashville Sound, there's some really wonky over-production on it. Stuff that's mainly there to let his wife double some keyboard lines on fiddle. But the lines themselves are really lightweight. I find myself wishing I could get a remix of that record with some stuff omitted.

trd likes this.
  11. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

Big DBT fan and I go to see them as much as I can. I have seen Isbel three times over the last ten years or so most recently two weeks ago near Miami. His live shows are tight, and I think a little too slick for my taste, and his material does not resonate with me as much as the DBT does. Yet, he is a much bigger draw than DBT.

painted8 likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't think it is available on CD at all.

13. trd

trd Forum Resident

Dave Cobb has produced all of the big albums coming out of Nashville in recent years. Isbell, Childers, Margo Price and Sturgill being the biggest

14. trd

trd Forum Resident

New album due out 5/15 and a bunch of tour dates just dropped today as well

15. Atmospheric

Yup. Looking forward to both. Although the concert is at the local ginormo dome.

trd likes this.
  16. trd

trd Forum Resident

Luckily the local shows are at a great small-ish theater. And Billy Strings opening!

Going to be a fun week, phish Lake Tahoe Tuesday and Wednesday, Isbell/Billy Strings Friday, Phish SF Saturday and Sunday

JimSmiley likes this.
  17. Atmospheric

Not familiar with Billy Strings.

trd likes this.
  18. trd

trd Forum Resident

Young Nashville picker. He’s a bluegrass musician but he can absolutely shred on guitar and he’ll weave in everything from old school Sabbath to Grateful Dead covers. I’ve been seeing him for 5 years or so and I’m still amazed at how good he is. Could be one of the all time great flatpickers when all is said and done. He’s great on electric too, so I expect we’ll see some jamming with Jason

painted8 and lazydawg58 like this.
  19. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

shouldn't that read,"He's a bluegrass musician so he can absolutely shred on guitar"?

trd likes this.
  20. trd

trd Forum Resident

:agree::thumbsup:

Hillbilly Bebop

lazydawg58 likes this.
  21. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Be Afraid

Pretty good track. Always welcome for new music from him. Though I do think this does fall more on the "rock" side for him which is fine.

Anyone a fan of his wife? I've really grown to love Amanda Shires in the past year, glad she got some mainstream attention with the Highwomen supergroup with Brandi Carlile and Maren Morris.

Ernest T and lazydawg58 like this.
  22. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

His tickets for the upcoming Milwaukee show top out at $120 + fees! He’s gotten so big he priced me out...

23. Atmospheric

I’ll pay that.

Johnny Wong likes this.
  24. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I thought he has gotten smaller since leaving The Drive By Truckers. Lol.

25. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I see what you did there. Cutting the beer out of your diet'll do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.