Jason Scheff Leaves Chicago

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Perfect description!!

2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

3 3/4 or 7 1/2?

3. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

As time goes on....
    I realize....
    Just what you meaaaaaaannnnnnnn...

Jeff-REEEEeeeeeEEEEy

4. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I can only gather than you aren't particularly familiar with him and said familiarity likely begins late into his tenure with Chicago. Most of his singing sounds nothing like you've described.

Ed

zebop likes this.
  5. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

No, I am actually very familiar with Champlin's work and own his albums with the Sons, his solo albums (all of them), other albums that he has been on (Jay Graydon, the West Coast All-Stars, and a Doc Kupra solo album) and his work with Chicago. I have also seen him live with the Sons, Chicago, and a solo show at a small club in Santa Rosa, Ca.

His work with Chicago is not pleasant to listen to for my ears.

Keith todaro likes this.
  6. Nostaljack

So is it just his work with Chicago that sounds like "he was constipated and trying to pass a kidney stone"? As you own so much of his work otherwise, he can't be as bad as you previously described, can he?

Of course, even at that, I don't agree with you at all. Late into his tenure with Chicago, he over-ad-libbed and it drove me nuts. The boredom he was feeling came out in his vocals and the results were truly terrible. Through their career on Warner/Reprise, though, I thought he sounded great.

Ed

7. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

If you leave me Jeff.... You'll take away the very heart of Pete....

zebop and Hep Alien like this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It happens; especially a band that's been around for 50 years.

9. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Champlin's heart was never in it with Chicago, just his wallet. I'm a huge Sons fan; Chicago went downhill for me after the first album, which is still a huge favorite, and 3 was the last I bought.

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Blows my mind that guys in a band of that stature can just call out for gigs when they don't feel like showing up.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

They aren't in their 20s or 30s any more. They're 70 plus. They or their family may have health problems. What can you do.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Cut back your gigging schedule? Do something that's within your means in terms of being able to play gigs and do them? I'm sure the guys in Chicago have enough money at this point.

Jupitermadcat and EdgardV like this.
  13. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Agree. But from reading interviews with various band members, I get the impression that they aren't calling the shots, but the band management is — and the management simply doesn't care about much of anything except squeezing as much revenue out of this band as possible, for as long as they can.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

If that is what they are saying, it makes no sense.
    The tail does not wag the dog.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

You retire? You book fewer shows? You at least put out an announcement that you're sitting out a tour for "health reasons." You don't just bail and hope no one notices. I mean, the Chicago horns have been doing this for years, and they get away with it because they're kind of a faceless band, but that doesn't make it any less lame. They don't just wheel out that guy from Mick Jagger's 80's solo tour if Keith Richards doesn't show up to work, y'know?

Comet01 likes this.
  16. Nostaljack

In Lee's case it's all very simple, really: Alimony.

Ed

zebop likes this.
  17. Nostaljack

Good! Now they've got a sax solo with excellent chops. Walt never had that. He can only play what's on the page. Ask him to improv and the results are disastrous. He's never been good at that.

Ed​

zebop likes this.
  18. Funkifized

Funkifized New Member

Scheff's bassplaying was far better than Cetera. Peter was never much of a bassist. Scheff sounded fine on vocals, too. It's not that Cetera can't be replaced, it's that fanboys want to hear exactly his voice, which is never going to happen. Cetera can't even do Cetera any more.

19. Nostaljack

Peter was and still is (when he can be bothered) an excellent bassist. Jason is great too in that department. As a vocalist, Jason was and remains complete and total trash. He, by his own admission, was triple-tracked by Foster for "18" and his blandness has never been fully compensated for regardless of what's done. He's also incredibly pitch-deprived live. If I'm a rabid Chicago fan, I'm quite relieved that his vocals are no longer part of the show.

Ed

20. Funkifized

Funkifized New Member

Cetera owns a bass. He'd never be heard taking an improvised solo, has never shown any propensity for desirable technique, doesn't stand out as a bassplayer at all on any recordings. The closest thing to memorable that I can hear would be the melodic bass on "Saturday In The Park", "Beginnings", and maybe the picked bass part on "I'm A Man", which was particularly sloppy, groove-wise. Maybe it works on a raw, rock-like level, but that original recording, along with subsequent live recordings of the same tune, don't deserve to appear alongside Danny's drumming. No one's learning Pete's unusually well-played bass parts. I don't know any bassists that cite him as an inspiration. If anything, they may cite the band's early material as a whole as inspirational.

21. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

ah that would explain why Jason Scheff was in Chicago for such a short time (1985 to 2016)

....and songs he sang like 'If She Would Have Been Faithful' (no.17 Billboard), 'Will You Still Love' Me' (no.3 Billboard) and 'What Kind of Man Would I Be ?' (no.5 Billboard) did so poorly as singles then....

gitters and Dougd like this.
  22. Nostaljack

He is not a good singer. Foster has said as much. You can go watch YouTube clips of him screwing up left and right live. The first two tunes were "triple-tracked" to make Scheff sound better. Scheff has said that himself. I can hear the edits in "What Kind of Man" quite clearly so he worked hard to get that vocal down.

Remember, this is also the same band that has kept Walt Parazaider the entire time.

Ed

krock2009, lukpac, zebop and 2 others like this.
  23. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Honestly, as a bass player, I rate Cetera very highly, and wish he got more recognition for his playing. He's a good ensemble player and has enough chops to hold his own with Terry and Danny - he's solid on the front half of VII, which is some nice jazz-funk playing.

You can definitely tell when Terry's playing bass because it's quite pedestrian (obviously since it's not his preferred instrument) , whereas Cetera adds little touches of flair to his lines.

24. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I prefer Peter Cetera's melodic bass playing style any day over Jason's generic style.
    [​IMG]

25. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

What is the significance of that date? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.