Jaws on Home Video

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by svoegtlin, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

Let's see, video versions of JAWS I have had over the years:

VHS full screen
    LD - full screen, compressed to fit on one disc
    LD - first widescreen version, CLV
    LD - Box set, CAV
    DVD - first DVD, short documentary
    DVD - second DVD, full documentary
    Blu-Ray

The Blu-Ray is the best version by far.

Vidiot, Ghostworld and D-rock like this.
  2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Blu-ray has great A/V, great special features, and can easily be found for under $10 with a digital copy thrown in to boot. No reason not to own it.

Heck, you could get it *and* a Blu-ray player for about half the cost of the Laserdisc Signature Collection box set when it was new. :)

audiomixer likes this.
  3. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

The irony being that Quint's legs are devoured first...

But, given the topic, I had to post this clip: a wonderful 'review' of Jaws: The Revenge from the early 90s Australian comedy program The Late Show. Low hanging fruit, to be sure, but very funny nonetheless:

Simon A, Jrr, Sammy Banderas and 2 others like this.
  4. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

:) great point about Quint and his leg :)

5. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

Very funny clip :)

Jrr likes this.
  6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

While I would certainly never defend the film, I think the often-criticized plot point -- Ellen believing the shark is intentionally following her and killing off her family -- isn't as ridiculous as most people usually point out. The idea itself is, of course, utter nonsense... but that's the whole point.... Ellen is so traumatized by the loss of her husband and son that she's become delusional, and she actually starts believing those crazy notions about the shark. (Not just the idea that the shark has a personal vendetta against her family, but also that it's the same shark from the previous movies.... both of which are obviously total B.S.) ;)

7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

'This was not a boating accident'.

I'm sure many of you Hoffmannites know which other film this line was spoken in.

Johnny66 likes this.
  8. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Yes, it wouldn't be completely ridiculous if the film offered up the 'shark has a personal vendetta' concept to illustrate the sheer extent of Ellen Brody's psychological breakdown. Unfortunately, the film pushes the idea quite literally: as in the clip linked above, we see Brody jetting off to the Bahamas - with a cut to the shark following in hot pursuit. Indeed, if you recall, the film even dares to go one step further: it posits a psychic link between Ellen Brody and the shark, allowing Brody to sense its presence and foresee impending attacks.
    :biglaugh:

Apparently, the psychic ability of Mrs. Brody to forecast shark incidents was to be pursued in Jaws 5; whereas the Jaws: The Revenge tagline was 'This time, it's personal', the tagline for Jaws 5 was to be 'This time, it's predictable'. ;)

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Beta, the big CAV, Blu-ray. This film does look slightly soft (very "filmy"?), but damn if it doesn't suck me in every time. The shot of the Orca through the shark jaws putting out to sea, with John Williams' score swelling-masterful.

driverdrummer likes this.
  10. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I was going to say its funny counter part, but I changed my mind, yayyy Jaws rule.....[​IMG]

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Binni and Vidiot like this.
  12. "Stakeout"?

13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Correct.

14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

For anyone interested, here's a featurette on the restoration of the film;

Really, in what way? I'm just interested to know from a professional colorists' point of view...

supermd and Vidiot like this.
  15. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

The special edition DVD from a few years back is no slouch, but the blu-ray is fabulous. Here is a site that compares different home video versions of it.

Jaws Blu-ray Roy Scheider

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I love the blu-ray. Just watched it last weekend. I watch it every summer. It's as good as a vacation on the Cape.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I felt the some of the night scenes were too bright, which is often a problem with day-for-night material. There's things that can be done to darken these shots, but it essentially boils down to VFX techniques. It's very possible Spielberg resisted the idea because it would veer too far away from how the movie looked in 1975.

RK2249 and The Hermit like this.
  18. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Im tired and wanna go to bed
    Had a couple drinks just an hour before
    and it really hit my head

GREAT MOVIE

19. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Ah, you mean you've always thought the night scenes were too bright, correct? I thought you were specifically referring to the new 4k transfer seen on the Blu ray...

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, the 4K is fine except for that. And in truth, I don't think the movie has more than 10-15 minutes of night footage.

21. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Can you tell me what overscrubbed means? I've never heard this term before.

22. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I just mean that it may have been too aggressively cleaned up with noise reduction.

23. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

My favorite movie of all time,agree the Blu is the best it's looked.on a side note recently my disc has been locking up at the part of the first reveal of the shark(of course one of the best parts of the movie)the disc looks clean,maybe my player is acting funny as the different layers of the disc are read?

24. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

I have the Universal 25th Anniversary Collectors Edition DVD. Can't compare to the Blu-ray, I suppose, but the picture is stunning, nonetheless, and the extras are cool.

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Jaws 2 is solid and worthy of the name, but it pales to the original.

D-rock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.