Jazz Beat - Part 21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

Stanley Turrentine - Up At Minton's - Vol. 1

[​IMG]

Stanley Turrentine - tenor saxophone
    Grant Green - guitar
    Horace Parlan - piano
    George Tucker - bass
    Al Harewood - drums

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

essential dizzy.jpeg
    I first heard this "It Don't Mean A Thing" on a Dizzy 'Essential' Verve LP many years ago & was totally amazed at such playing at that tempo.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  3. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

I would agree with you. That song is pretty intense. I need more Dizzy in my collection, and Stan as well. These days these old Verve's don't seem to be in demand from collectors as opposed to newer stuff. Beyond the music, I amazed as how clean this pressing is, and how great it sounds considering it's from 1957 I believe.

4. KLeigh88

KLeigh88 Well-Known Member

Diz!! A couple of my favorites that couldn't be more different. One for Friday night and one for Sunday morning.

Diz 2.png

Diz.png

5. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Missed that when you put it up. Bummer as I was hoping they could eek something out of it. It's always been "historical" as far as sound is concerned.

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

That 'Essential Dizzy Gillespie' LP was a great introduction, with Getz on two tracks, a track with Roy Eldridge, one with Sonny Rollins
    & Sonny Stitt, big band tracks & a live "Night In Tunisia" with his 1961 quintet. Very exciting for a teenage listener.

TimArruda likes this.
  7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

no I do not. I actually have this pressing. I think it sounds great to my ears

[​IMG]

8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yes other than Cohen the whole group were UN Reno faculty - Epstein, bassist Hans Halt, pianist Dan Cray, and drummer Andrew Heglund (the four perform as "The Collective"). Really talented folks. Epstein and Cray (the latter just recently joined the faculty) really caught my ear but all four were great.

TimArruda likes this.
  9. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

:righton:

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  10. Art K

Sound still sucks both on vinyl and CD...oh well. I'm in it for the music.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  11. Art K

Lee Morgan - City Lights

http://www.dope****.at/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/lee%20morgan.jpeg

Lee Morgan - The Cooker

[​IMG]

12. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    From 2014, this is a really interesting one. Most of the tunes are by the leader, Hammond B-3 player Charette, and collectively they cover all kinds of stylistic ground, from early Larry Young on Blue Note kind of stuff ("Medium Up") to almost Third Stream kinds of pieces. The instrumentation is well off the beaten path particularly for an organ-based session: Joel Frahm (a favorite) on tenor, John Ellis on bass clarinet, Itai Kriss on flute, Mike DiRubbo on alto sax, and Jochen Rueckert on drums. The odd blend of sonorities in the front line really works. Great on first listen, and the kind that's likely to sound even better with further exposure.

13. Art K

Lee Morgan Quintet - Take Twelve

[​IMG]

14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Love the line up on that album, Lee Morgan and Barry Harris meshed so well, here and of course on the later SIDEWINDER album. And that cover shot, it's like Lee's saying "Now you all better be listening out there, I MEAN it..."

TimArruda likes this.
  15. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Art K posting about TAKE TWELVE with Barry Harris got me to post on this one, which I recently picked up, a recording on the Evidence label from 1996. The background in the cover shot was the view out of Harris' Weehawken, NJ residence - yowza!

Musically this is "just another great Harris recording," with the title referring to this being his first meeting with George Mraz and Leroy Williams. Relaxed but never routine, the program features no less than 6 of Harris' great originals plus "You Go To My Head" and "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes." Engineered, mixed, and mastered by RVG.

hvbias, Cactus Bob, TimArruda and 3 others like this.
  16. Art K

Lee Morgan - Sonic Boom

[​IMG]

DrJ, Solitary1, hvbias and 8 others like this.
  17. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

The Roy Hargrove/ Christian McBride/ Steven Scott Trio
    Parker's Mood

hargrove.jpg

DrJ, Solitary1, Art K and 3 others like this.
  18. Changeling

Changeling Aut disce aut discede

Found Bill Evans Trio - Everybody Digs Bill Evans XRCD new and wrapped yesterday, and the VDJ in mint condition. The XRCD for about $20 and the VDJ for $10.
    When I got back home, our cherry tree was in full bloom. A glass of red and Peace Piece. A good day!

[​IMG]

DrJ, Solitary1, hvbias and 10 others like this.
  19. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Ellery Eskelin & Gerry Hemingway - Inbetween Spaces

inbetween.png

DrJ, Solitary1, Jgmh and 3 others like this.
  20. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

It's live in Vegas, but his extroverted singing style and voice are in fine form (i.e. "Lady Luck" and "Deed I Do"):

Billy Eckstine--No Cover No Minimum

[Eckstine (v, trumpet solos), Bobby Tucker (p, arr), Charlie McLean, Buddy Balboa (saxes), Charlie Walp (t), Bucky Manieri (trom), Buddy Grievey (d), others unknown]

eckstine.jpg

DrJ, Solitary1, Cactus Bob and 5 others like this.
  21. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

22. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I picked up a copy of this on CD after reading a Martin Williams appreciation of it. I can't believe that no one comments about the strangeness of the stereo mix where (is it Blakey or Monk, I can't recall exactly?) one guy is in one channel and everyone else is on the other. Good music, although both of these guys made music just as good with each other and without IMO.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The early cd had the awful stereo mix (unmix is more like it!) I believe the one pictured is mono. I now have the new 24 bit remaster from Japan, best sound I've heard from this session.

TimArruda likes this.
  24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Or, "C'mon, fellas, just one mo' take!"

DrJ likes this.
  25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Can someone confirm ? (Erik B.?)

If the newer CD is indeed mono, I might have to get it, because the stereo mix truly is awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.