Jazz Beat (Part 28)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

2. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

This is a fantastic duet that, without foreknowledge, you'd never guess was just "from saxophone & trombone". It's a marvel of sympathetic interplay, concentration and ultimately dialogue between two master improvisers, even at this point in time ca 1980.

Recorded 18 May 1980 at the Art Workers Guild, London by Adam Skeaping and produced by Dave Holland. Sonics are incredibly good and lifelike, conveying the wide-ranging tonal colors, multi-phonics and metal/mettle of the players and their horns.

[​IMG]

Art K, Joe071, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Pepper - Knepper Quintet (Metro Jazz) red label, mono pressing.

Pepper Adams - baritone sax
    Jimmy Knepper - trombone
    Wynton Kelly - piano
    Doug Watkins- bass
    Elvin Jones - drums

Second label of MGM. Early 60s recording.

JETman, DrJ, Campbell Saddler and 4 others like this.
  4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Art Blakey Quartet – A Jazz Message (MCA / Impulse!)
    — With Sonny Stitt, McCoy Tyner, Art Davis

[​IMG]

JETman, smilin ed, Art K and 8 others like this.
  5. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Unfortunately no, taking the family to Millennium Park to see the below:

Thursday, July 31, 2014
    [​IMG]The Hal Russell Story

A drummer, saxophonist, trumpeter and bandleader, Russell was one of the most colorful, flexible and fiery jazz musicians to ever work in Chicago. His long-running NRG Ensemble was formed in 1980 and became a major influence on the free jazz and improvised music scene of the 90s. The original lineup—reedist Mars Williams; bassist, guitarist, and trumpeter Brian Sandstrom; bassist Kent Kessler; and drummer Steve Hunt, along with reedist Ken Vandermark (who often subbed in the band) and cellist/trumpeter Fred Lonberg-Holm—reunites to play the last album they made with Russell: The Hal Russell Story (ECM, 1992), an autobiographical exploration of the leader's life in music. Academy Award-Nominated actor Michael Shannon will perform the original texts delivered by Russell on the album for this one-time event.

6. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Now that's what I call a family outing! :righton: I've got some of the NRG Ensemble releases.

Joe071 likes this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Pepper Adams - 10 To 4 at the 5 Spot (Riverside) Japanese stereo pressing, black label.

JETman, Joe071, DrJ and 5 others like this.
  8. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Surprisingly, this great album was not released in its entirety until 1998. The new SHM-CD has two additional tracks with Jackie McClean. This group of musicians was also responsible for one of the sessions from the Jackie McLean album Jackie's Bag recorded a month earlier.
    Recorded September 1 and October 20, 1960

[Blue Note 2014 SHM-CD]

JETman, Art K, Starwanderer and 10 others like this.
  9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Louis Hayes & Company – The Super Quartet (Timeless Records)
    — With Javon Jackson, Kirk Lightsey, Essiet Essiet; tunes by Cedar Walton, Hubbard, Brubeck, Strayhorn, Monk, Shorter, Kern

[​IMG]

JETman, smilin ed, Art K and 4 others like this.
  10. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

JETman, smilin ed, Art K and 7 others like this.
  11. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

12. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

13. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Was listening to Rob Brown 'Root Trunk Crown Funk', with Gerald Cleaver/drums, Craig Taborn/keys, William Parker/bass. Nice disc, music moving 'in' & 'out'

JETman, Joe071, DrJ and 1 other person like this.
  14. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Cactus Bob: "I have been using PB for years and I have my entire vinyl collection archived on it along with my instruments, audio collection etc. I am a paid subscriber. I hate pop ups and all that jazz with the free version. It makes it harder to navigate with all that popping up all over lol."

That's exactly it, pop ups. You hit the nail on the head. It wasn't always so bad, at least for me, until recently. If I'm going to pay, I think I'm just going to "develop" my own website, again (ala Ward's Web... something like that).

DrJ, TimArruda and Cactus Bob like this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Is this one of those Japan only releases? I have a cd of standards by Clark that was Ltd. to Japan but I thought I read somewhere or someone told me it was the only Sonny Clark album exclusive to Japan. I've never seen this album My Conception in any format, any time. :help: I think I'm off to see Mr. Google.

Edit: Holy Van Gelder Batman, there are a couple of Sonny Clark albums that got released in Japan besides the one I have. There goes my wallet, crying in the corner about how thin it is.
    Edit again: one of the albums is part of my standards cd so I just saved a little bit.

Looking over Clark's discography and realized how many albums I own with Sonny Clark on piano! Obviously BN loved him as much as some of us do.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    Cactus Bob, TimArruda and JRM like this.
  16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I think recorded in 59, released in 79 in Japan only, then released in 2000 with a different cover, then 2014 with original cover. But not sure if all the releases have the same tracks...

EDIT - looks like the 2000 CD has some extra tracks with Kenny Burrell...

[​IMG]

JETman, Art K, Starwanderer and 3 others like this.
  17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

All the more tasty according to my cookbook. ;)

NP Somny Clark -Sonny's Crib (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 reissue.

JETman, Joe071, JRM and 5 others like this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

19. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

CHARLES MINGUS / AH UM / COLUMBIA / 1959 / SRCS 9201 MASTERSOUND

John Handy (as, ts, cl), Booker Ervin (ts), Shafi hadi (ts, as), Willie Dennis (tb), Jimmy Knepper (tb), Horace Parlan (p), Charles Mingus (b, p), Dannie Richmond (d)

[​IMG]

I posted this in the "AH UM 50 Anniversary" thread yesterday:

Ok, I have received the japanese SRCS 9201. It is the best digital version of Mingus Ah Um I have heard so far. It sounds a bit brighter in comparison to the old CBS 450463 2 CD (blue border), but since the latter has noise reduction applied, I doubt the additional brightness derives from an unreasonable treble boost. It sounds detailed, but not too analytical. Also there is tape hiss, which has clearly been cut off along with some details from the old CBS.

The SRCS 9201 has the original mix, meaning the edited takes. As I presumed, these are on the bass-heavy side (which I like) like the old CBS CD, whereas the 50th anniversary edition sounds a bit bass-shy in comparison; it doesn't convey that much punch, especially on "Better Get It..." like the older CDs do. I haven't listened to the Sony SACD, but I imagine it sounds similar to the Legacy editions (with additional resolution from the format).

charlesp, JETman, smilin ed and 11 others like this.
  20. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

I was hooked on the album upon hearing Henderson's intro to "Round Midnight": Charlie Haden--The Montreal Tapes (Tribute To Joe Henderson)

[Haden (b), Joe Henderson (ts), Al Foster (d)]

[​IMG]

"Round Midnight": http://grooveshark.com/s/Round+Midnight/53ZCWP?src=5

charlesp, JETman, Art K and 6 others like this.
  21. Campbell Saddler

If I recall correctly, this CD is a needledrop; nevertheless, I am happy to finally have it on this format: Duke Pearson--Sweet Honey Bee

[Pearson (p), Freddie Hubbard (t), James Spaulding (as, fl), Joe Henderson (ts), Ron Carter (b), Mickey Roker (d)]

[​IMG]

"Empathy":

JETman, Art K, Starwanderer and 8 others like this.
  22. Campbell Saddler

The selected material (from Shepp, Carla Bley, Frank Wright, Giuffre, Hemphill, and Cherry) elicits some lovely playing, though it keeps the overall feel of the album title:

The Vandermark 5--Free Jazz Classics Volume 2

[Ken Vandermark (ts, Bb, bass cl), Jeb Bishop (tb), Dave Rempis (as, ts), Kent Kessler (b), Tim Mulvenna (d)]

[​IMG]

Jimmy Giuffre's "Scootin' About": http://grooveshark.com/s/Scootin+About/3gInX9?src=5

JETman, Voltaire, Ras and 11 others like this.
  23. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    John Coltrane - Offering: Live at Temple University (Impulse, Resonance Records)

JETman, Ras, Campbell Saddler and 7 others like this.
  24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Barry Altschul / Paul Bley / Gary PeacockVirtuosi (Improvising Artists Inc) — all compositions by Annette Peacock

[​IMG]

charlesp, JETman, Voltaire and 8 others like this.
  25. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Robert Mazurek Chicago Underground Orchestra – Playground (Delmark Records)
    — With Jeff Parker, Sara P. Smith, Chris Lopes, Chad Taylor, a.o.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.