Jazz Beat (Part 28)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Some dinner to start (maybe a nice schnitzel?), then out for dancing and...oh, never mind... :D

TimArruda, Cactus Bob and Six String like this.
  2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

http://www.*******.com/uploads/posts/2012-07/1342366578_folder.jpg
    Marvelous solo piano work. This is definitely a case where you need the CD, rather than the LP, since the latter is missing three great tracks that are on the CD, including a crackling version of my fave Tyner composition "Peresina." Beautiful engineering (recorded in 1988 at Merkin Hall) by David Baker.

Joe071, Ras, fingerpoppin and 2 others like this.
  3. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

I just found "Staircase" (U.S. pressing) last week and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Sssh . . . :shh: I can't tell you where I found it.

Joe071, DrJ and Six String like this.
  4. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Oh Deer!!! That's a good one!! :biglaugh:

DrJ likes this.
  5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm off soon to check out the Nebraska Mondays at Luna's Cafe. I think Ross Hammond is playing with Alex Jenkins a local percussionist who plays tabla frequently. There will most likely be others. I like the surprise element. Not only does it permeate the music but sometimes the calendar as well! :laugh:

DrJ and Cactus Bob like this.
  7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Rahsaan Roland Kirk, DOG YEARS IN THE FOURTH RING (32 Jazz). 3 CD set, with the first 2 discs being previously unreleased live recordings spanning 1963-1975. Have listened to disc 1 so far; outstanding, and I'm surprised at how good the sound is, given these were as I understand it NOT professionally made recordings, rather compiled from fan tapes.

I'm looking forward to getting to disc 3 too which is the Atlantic 1971 studio album NATURAL BLACK INVENTIONS, where Kirk just happens to play every single non-percussion instrument on the album (save piano on one track) - without resorting to overdubs! Reading about that album, it sure seems to polarize people - they either love it or hate it, no in between. I've never heard it but will approach with a very open mind; the guy is a musical hero of mine. I mean, I even love THE CASE OF THE 3 SIDED DREAM IN AUDIO COLOR which many seem to have little time for.

As the man himself asked once, "Who has the hippest chops in the world?" That's an easy one!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Joe071, Ras, fingerpoppin and 4 others like this.
  8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Lockjaw and Griff, THE TENOR SCENE (originally on Prestige, this is the OJC CD reissue). Fabulous team, supported by Junior Mance, Larry Gales, and Ben Riley, live from Minton's Playhouse, 1961. Beautifully captured by Rudy Van Gelder.

Joe071, Voltaire, TimArruda and 5 others like this.
  9. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP :

[​IMG]

(CD Bethlehem Solid Japan 2013) - only released as bonus "freebie" CD....

Joe071, DrJ, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I was just playing that RRK box the other day. At the time I bought it I didn't own Blacknus so that was cool but I have since found a copy on vinyl so I'm set. The live stuff is really good and as you said, better sounding than expected.

I just returned from the Monday night show. Eclectic and stimulating as usual. I learned that Oliver Lake is going to do a workshop on Improvisation on September 30th. Price is $15 and sets are limited and will probably go quickly. I don't know the size of the class but the studio isn't big. Any local people interested should not snooze. Info at [email protected] and Golden Lion has a Facebook page too. Thursday Ross Hammond will be playing in a trio with Vinny Golia and Vladimir Tarasov. $10 sliding scale, all ages 8p.m. The woman who played the awesome guitar last week at the Lukas Ligeti gig was Amy Reed. Sorry Amy!

WP Miles In The Sky - Miles (Columbia) 2 eye stereo
    NP Live At Pep's - Yusef Latif (Impulse) black & red stereo pressing

Joe071, DrJ, Ras and 1 other person like this.
  11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

12. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

MILT JACKSON / IN A NEW SETTING / LIMELIGHT / 1964 / VERVE CD REISSUE

Personnel: Jimmy Heath (ts), Milt Jackson (v), McCoy Tyner (p), Bob Cranshaw (b), Connie Kay (d)

[​IMG]

I will definitely order the Speakers Corner LP in the days to come.

Joe071, fingerpoppin, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  13. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

I like to think of this album as an honorary Weather Report title: Joe Zawinul--Zawinul

[Zawinul, Herbie Hancock (kybds), Wayne Shorter (saxes), Earl Turbinton (ss), Woody Shaw, Jimmy Owens (t), Hubert Laws, George Davis (fl), Miroslav Vitous, Walter Booker (b), Billy Hart, David Lee, Joe Chambers, Jack DeJohnette (perc)]

[​IMG]

"Double Image" and "Arrival In New York":

Joe071, fingerpoppin, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  14. cds23

Those DSD remasters from Universal (also available as mini LPs) are excellent but sadly overlooked. I have about 10 of them and they all sound great.

DrJ and Soulpope like this.
  15. cds23

ART BLAKEY AND THE JAZZ MESSENGERS / THE BIG BEAT / BLUE NOTE / 1960 / AUDIO WAVE XRCD

Personnel: Wayne Shorter (ts), Lee Morgan (t), Bobby Timmons (p), Jimie Merritt (b), Art Blakey (d)

[​IMG]

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

17. cds23

A shame that these Impulse twofers don't offer full artwork - the Jazzplus twofers look much less compromised in that regard.

Soulpope likes this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I see your point. That said, for me, artwork shmartwork, I'm not that into it.

19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Bill EvansLive at Art D'Lugoff's Top of The Gate – CD 2, second set (Resonance Records)
    — With Eddie Gomez, Marty Morell

[​IMG]

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Paul Horn - House Of Horn (Dot)
    NP TheBlue Yusef Lateef (Atlantic) WLP stereo pressing

I have not run across many white label promos for the Atlantic label compared to the other majors.

Campbell Saddler and DrJ like this.
  21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Jim Rotondi Sextet – Excursions (Criss Cross Jazz)
    — With Eric Alexander, Steve Davis, David Hazeltine, Peter Washington, Kenny Washington; originals plus tunes by Bobby Hutcherson, Vernon Duke, Benny Golson & Wes Montgomery

[​IMG]

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

23. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field

Oliver Nelson's Berlin Dialogue For Orchestra plays like the perfect cold war film soundtrack.

24. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP :

[​IMG]

(LP Pacific Jazz PJ-10118)

25. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    A Different Time is a solo piano album by John Medeski, featuring performances on a 1924 French Gaveau piano, which was released on the OKeh label in 2013.

Campbell Saddler, DrJ and Mychkine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.