Jazz Beat (Part 28)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Time to spin one for the man!

Possibly my favorite Burrell album. Blue Lights would probably have that honor though and Burrell/Trane and . . .

Kenny Burrell/Jimmy Smith ~ Blue Bash!

Verve

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

One of my favorite jazz albums. I have the OJC lp and the XRCD Disc and though I don't think I've ever done a serious comparison, I can say that they both sound really good to my ears.

TimArruda, ibanez_ax and Cactus Bob like this.
  3. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Nice line up, never heard of that one and didn't know Steeple Chase was around back then.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  4. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

5. Cactus Bob

This record exceeded all expectations and the sound quality is excellent. This is part of a small collection that someone dropped off at a used record store. With it I snagged a bunch of OJC & ECM records. Normally this store is overpriced and has a very poor selection. I wish they would have donated to the GW next door, but beggars can't be choosers. :uhhuh:

It pays to pop into these places, although it can be a time wasting effort. Can't win if you don't play as they say.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  6. Cactus Bob

Jack DeJohnnette's Special Edition ~ Tin Can Alley

ECM, 1981

[​IMG]

Baritone Saxophone, Alto Saxophone – John Purcell
    Bass Clarinet, Flute, Tenor Saxophone – Chico Freeman
    Double Bass, Cello – Peter Warren
    Drums, Piano, Vocals – Jack DeJohnette

charlesp, hkm3, JETman and 7 others like this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Oh man, that's sad. He was a monster drummer. I think the last time I saw him was with Ahmad Jamal at Yoshi's in Oakland. I just loved the way he brought the New Orleans funk and second line to whatever he was asked to play. That always gave his jazz that street feel to it and it provided funk even though it was sometimes more implied than played but then that's what made him so great. He could respect a tradition without giving up who he was and where he came from.

8. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Barney Wilen Quartet - Tilt

[​IMG]

aoxomoxoa, charlesp, JETman and 6 others like this.
  9. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

That one I've never heard. I'd love to pick up a copy on King Records. What do you think of it? And how does the SHM-CD sound?

10. TimArruda

I'm surprised they didn't just ask for you when they were dropping them off..... :angel:

11. TimArruda

Great album...

Playing one of my favorites now...

[​IMG]

12. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I have nothing to compare it to, but I like the sound, the packaging and the price! I think the only other place these tracks are available on CD is this 2000 compilation...

[​IMG]

JETman, TimArruda, Joe071 and 5 others like this.
  13. Cactus Bob

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :biglaugh:

That was a disappointment for sure. These folks just need to get with the (my) system. :evil:

TimArruda and Joe071 like this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

JETman, Ras, Joe071 and 7 others like this.
  15. AxiomAcoustics

My copy of that has my college radio station call letters scrawled across the front. :shh:

16. AxiomAcoustics

Could anything really be "With" Art Blakey?:laugh:

JETman, TimArruda, DrJ and 1 other person like this.
  17. AxiomAcoustics

A little more goodfoot for Idris. In keeping with NolA tradition of the Jazz funeral......

[​IMG]

hkm3, JETman, Cactus Bob and 4 others like this.
  18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Don Friedman Trio, WALTZ FOR DEBBY (441 Records, recorded 2002). With Lewis Nash and George Mraz.

[​IMG]
    Phil Woods' Little Big Band, EVOLUTION (Concord Jazz, 1988). Hal Crook, Tom Harrell, Nick Brignola, Nelson Hill, Hal Galper, Steve Gilmore, and Bill Goodwin.

hkm3, JETman, Cactus Bob and 4 others like this.
  19. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Agree, very well said.

20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    In birthday salute now: Kenny Burrell, MOTEN SWING: THE COLUMBIA RECORDS INSTRUMENTAL RECORDINGS, 1961-2 (Euphoria). Excellent material, with the following musicians on various tracks: Hank Jones, Eddie Bert on trombone, Illinois Jacquet, Jack McDuff, Leo Wright, Louis Hayes, Osie Johnson, Joe Dukes, Jimmy Crawford, George Duvivier, Major Holley. Nicely mastered by Bob Irwin.

JETman, TimArruda, Cactus Bob and 7 others like this.
  21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

...which is an excellent 2 disc set, by the way, great music and nice sound. :thumbsup:

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

The man was a big talent. Obviously he killed in funkier settings - for the past few months I've been on a jag listening to his work with Lou Donaldson in the late 1960s/early 1970s - particularly THE SCORPION: LIVE AT THE CADILLAC CLUB (Blue Note) - but this CD is a great example to demonstrate Muhammad's range:

[​IMG]
    Keystone Trio's NEWKLEAR MUSIC: THE SONGS OF SONNY ROLLINS (Milestone, recorded in 1997). The essence of quiet refinement in his playing here. At first listen it almost didn't even sound like Muhammad, so understated is the drumming - there are tracks like "Times Slimes" where the ride cymbal is so straight and simple you wonder how he manages to make it swing - but when you really listen, there's the characteristic Idris Muhammad time feel, if not the full on funkiness. RIP.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Oh yeah man, he lays down some killer grooves on that one. Highly recommended!

NP second half of Bitches Brew the new MoFi reissue. Man oh man does it sound good. Like I noticed on side 1/2, the individual bits reveal themselves while at the same time creating that unilateral rush of sound that envelops your brain when you listen to this music. Like all great discs, this one draw me into the music more and it rewards with all that detail and 3D depth which only allows you to get even more lost in the recording. Excuse me while I melt.

I don't even have to a/b the MoFi lp with my Sony 4 disc set on cd to know this lp kicks serious
    butt. It's the best I've ever heard this album though full disclosure, I haven't heard all the possible versions.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    AxiomAcoustics, Cactus Bob and DrJ like this.
  24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Wow! I didn't know they ever played together before. Thanks for posting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.