Jazz Beat (Part 29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Satch doesn't affect me that way for some reason, even the later consolidation (rather than innovation) period work, but I do appreciate how that could differ for others. When I play stuff like this my kids will sometimes say they picture skinny black and white cartoon cows dancing (a la 1920s/30s Disney)! Which makes sense given that's the only other context they've heard the music. But, that said, they also enjoy it in small doses, so there you go.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    JETman likes this.
  2. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Not to get all political and stuff, but there's a component of THAT music that can be quite insulting to the audience that it's directed towards. Again, small doses for me. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate his importance to the genre or to the world of music as a whole. So, all you argumentative ones out there -- not looking for a debate or lesson :laugh:

DrJ likes this.
  3. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Agree with all that except not sure about "better player." More technically proficient, yes, but there's so much more to it than that. Speaking personally in the sense that his playing deeply moved me on many occasions, I'd say Miles is for me the better player. He gets a bad rap sometimes about being a technically weak player but when I hear some of the stuff he pulled off on albums like MILES SMILES, I can't buy it for a second. Of course that doesn't preclude some indifferent or even sloppy playing on certain recordings - those do certainly exist for all to hear - but on the whole I find the consistently high level of Miles' playing over so many recordings, live and in the studio, to be quite remarkable.

Campbell Saddler, Lonson and JETman like this.
  4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Guitarist Sasajima gets a chance to lead a strong group on this 1993 release for Enja, HUMPTY DUMPTY, recorded in 1988. One of my pet "obscure Henderson sideman" recordings, Joe plays all out and having Rosnes on piano is always a big plus in my opinion. Sill is the bassist and Spencer the drummer; neither does anything special, but they hold down the fort with competence. Very nice recorded sound. The same recording (with a different track order) was also issued on the BRC label with this (IMHO inferior) cover art:

[​IMG]

5. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

You're preachin' to the choir. Miles is my jazz "demi-god", in more ways than any of the others ever were or could be. Vision is what it's all about if one wants to stand out from the crowd. Miles had THAT in spades. All the other stuff becomes secondary. Fwiw, if I'm picking a Miles solo for the ages, I'm taking the ten minute one from Jack Johnson! And I'm takin' Miles Smiles as THE best example of group telepathy ever recorded.

WorldB3 and DrJ like this.
  6. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Love organ in jazz & any other genre, for that matter.

DrJ likes this.
  7. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD New Jazz OJCCD 099-2)

8. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Storyville STCD8269) - excellent Piano Trio date from 1978, originaly released in 1979 on Jazzcraft Records

9. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Brad Mehldau Trio - The Art of the Trio Recordings : 1996-2001

Discs 1-3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eric Revis - City of Asylum

[​IMG]

Joe071, Cactus Bob, Voltaire and 5 others like this.
  10. Art K

Marc Cary - For the Love of Abbey

[​IMG]

Joe071, Cactus Bob, Voltaire and 3 others like this.
  11. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Count Basie Big Band - Farmers Market Barbecue
    Music for a Sunday afternoon.
    This is warm good natured music... always leaves me smiling.

[​IMG]

Joe071, Cactus Bob, cds23 and 3 others like this.
  12. Art K

Marc Cary Focus Trio - Four Directions

[​IMG]

Joe071, Cactus Bob, Voltaire and 5 others like this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Doesn't affect me at all like that either. Satch and his music seems timeless to me.

14. bluesoul

bluesoul Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Benny Goodman RCA Victor Small Group Recordings: Goodman, Teddy Wilson, Lionel Hampton, & Gene Krupa

15. hkm3

hkm3 Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendations! Out of those i only have When Colors Play.

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Adam Pieronczyk, KOMEDA: THE INNOCENT SORCERER (Jazzwerkstatt), recorded in 2009. As expected, a tribute of sorts to pianist and composer Krzysztof Komeda, all the pieces are his (though soprano and tenor saxophonist Pieronczyk puts his stamp on them). I've always been smitten with the sound of jazz through the Polish prism, imparting an appealing folksiness that grounds the proceedings even when the harmonies start to head out - not just Komeda's work but also saxophonist Zbigniew Namyslowski's (WINOBRANIE for example, a masterpiece).

There's a wonderful supporting cast here: tenor saxophonist Gary Thomas, guitarist Nelson Veras (not familiar with him previously, but REALLY like his razor sharp chording and single note lines, has he stepped out as a leader?), super bassist Anthony Cox, and percussionist Lukasz Zyta (again, never heard him before, but he's worth watching out for on this showing, very sensitive player). Superb sound, recorded in Poland - I did a double take there, admittedly, my biases got the best of me - I had assumed the engineer must be someone like Jim Anderson at one of the usual suspect NYC studios.

Well worth picking up, fantastic in fact.

17. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The leader looks like Komeda! The power of music indeed. According to All Music, this is Veras' only leader date:

http://www.label-bleu.com/artist.php?lng=e&artist_id=128&c=d

Can't figure out if it was a solo outing.

DrJ likes this.
  18. hkm3

hkm3 Forum Resident

Anthony Cox, a great player. I haven´t seen his name on a new record in a while. Then again, maybe i haven´t looked at the right records?

Soulpope, JETman and DrJ like this.
  19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

The cover pic is actually Komeda! Here's a pic I found of Pieronczyk:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the tip on Veras. Reading more about him I found some very high praise about his work coming from Pat Martino.

JETman likes this.
  20. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Beast! With Harry Miller and Louis Moholo-Moholo:

[​IMG]

21. bluesoul

bluesoul Well-Known Member

22. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Hard to believe but just I finished a first time listen to Chick Corea's Return To Forever.

It's one of those iconic records I should have had in my collection but never got around to getting it, found a mint german press vinyl for cheap at the local shop yesterday and decided it's time.

My wife thinks it sounds dated but I have a soft spot for analog 70's keyboards, I was expecting flute and vocals and I am ok with it, besides it's Joe Farrell on flute and Joe Farrell is awesome

While it does have a little prog rock in the jazz fusion (at least on the title track) it's not the later RTF that I have heard that kind of kept me away from this. They latin ryhtyms and great playing by Airto Moreira, Stanley Clarke and Chick made this a very enjoyable listen. Will revisit soon when I can crank it up.

[​IMG]

23. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Thats a great one, Miles plays his ass on the Live At The Blackhawk recordings also, it's always overlooked or dismissed because Hank Mobley was little off but they are still great.

JETman and DrJ like this.
  24. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

You'd be well advised to get the 2nd one also:

[​IMG]

Joe071, DrJ, Cactus Bob and 5 others like this.
  25. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett Nude Ants Live at the Village Vanguard (ECM double LP)

This was calling my name from the shelf, again. Of course, my wife had to pause and ask, "Who's making that... noise?"
    :doh:

[​IMG]

Joe071, DrJ, Cactus Bob and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.