Jazz Beat (Part 30)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

This one has been on heavy rotation lately.
    To other fans out there, what is your favorite Weather Report album?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  4. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Looks like one of forum member Mazzy's creations.:tiphat:

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This afternoon I'm listening to some pre-bop jazz; now: The Complete Django Reinhardt and Quintet of the Hot Club of France Swing/HMV Sessions 1936-1940 - 6 CDs, Mosaic; disc 1, or at least part of it - depends on how much I like it after all this time; this set has been gathering dust for ages.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  6. Lonson

Perhaps you are asking for our favorite Weather Report album?

I'd have to say mine is "Live in Tokyo" with "Sweetnighter" right behind nipping at its heels.

7. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

8. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP East Wind EW-7009) - Cedar Walton+Sam Jones+Billy Higgins live @ "Pit Inn" Tokyo, 1974

9. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Haven't had this out in years. Original Horo vinyl.

[​IMG]

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not really a fan of this kind of music and I find its "sameness" not very appealing. I know, this music wasn't recorded to be listened to at length, but still... I'm not sure why I got this set from Mosaic at the time, probably to support them.

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's a good reason IMO.

J.A.W. likes this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I agree, but selling the set now won't hurt them I guess :)

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, another set that has been gathering dust: The Complete Lionel Hampton Victor Sessions 1937-1941 - 5 CDs, Mosaic; disc 1

[​IMG]

14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Do you have those on CD? I tried searching the forums for the best sounding discs but couldn't find much.

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I love Heavy Weather though I still have a hard time listening to Birdland. It was very popular in the day Andy then there was the Manhatan Transfer's hit with it. So I love listening to the album but I usually skip that song. My favorite album today is Sweetnighter. Imo it has aged well and it has an energy I really like.. I Sing The Body Electric was my first WR album so it holds a special place in my heart for blowing my mind in 1972/73 when I bought it. The Ralph Towner cut is still one of the best things I've ever heard on a 12 string guitar.

NP Clare Fischer - Alone Together (Discovery). I had to play a side of this gorgeous album one more time before I file it away.

Cactus Bob and Lucidae like this.
  16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Yeah, compared to some of their previous material this album is a bit more accessible I think, and that might explain why it enjoyed greater popularity.
    I haven't heard the two albums you mentioned but I'd like to track down a copy. I saw they are available as part of the red border "Contemporary Masters" series.
    Which ones do you own?

17. Lonson

Yes, now I have both in the Complete Album Collection of Weather Report that Pop Market put out. The European "Live in Tokyo" two cd set sounds pretty good, but the Complete Album Collection version is better by a few hairs imo. The US cd of "Sweetnighter" and the version in the box sound very similar.

I prefer both on lp, but hey, I mostly play cds.

Lucidae likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hm, this is not really my kind of music and stopped listening to this set. Another one for the sale pile I'm afraid.

19. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Sounds like you're getting ready to sell just about.............everything? :)

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Another dust-gathering set: The Classic Columbia and OKeh Joe Venuti and Eddie Lang Sessions - 8 CDs, Mosaic; disc 1

[​IMG]

Campbell Saddler and DrJ like this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Paul Desmond featuring Jim Hall - Glad To Be Unhappy (RCA) black mono label w/ Nipper.
    NP Paul Desmond - Bridge Over Troubled Water (CTI) WLP
    The last one is far from my fav Desmond album as it is typical of CTI at the time with layers of orchestral instruments added on to ahem, enhance the music. Like most breast and booty implants, the additional instrumentation does little to improve the music. It was fine before they added that window dressing. However the music is well played by some of the best in the industry and it can be fun to hear what Paul and Co. do to familiar pop songs.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

:winkgrin:

Not really, but I have thousands of CDs and there's a lot of stuff I never listen to, especially pre-bop jazz - though there's also much run-of-the-mill bop in my collection.

23. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

One of the run of great albums that Shorter produced in the 60s.

[​IMG]

24. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Well, there's much more "run-of-the-mill" stuff in any genre than most fans would be willing to admit. Congratulations on realizing that and making the necessary adjustments. That's a lot easier said than done.

J.A.W. likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Tell me about it...

JETman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.