Jazz Beat (Part 37)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Congratulations, very glad to hear that. Now, don't be a tease - how did it SOUND on the new system?! :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

After THE REAL MCCOY, EXPANSIONS is my favorite of his Blue Notes, just terrific stuff. Have never really understood why it's not raved about more. It may not be a perfect record but it's very strong, and there's a real sense of excitement and positive energy to it. The voicings are such that if feels like a much bigger ensemble, presaging his Big Band stuff.

3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Trane ALS

DrJ likes this.
  4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    1989 reissue, remastered by Kirk Felton. Taken from two sessions: 1/17/51, with Bennie Green (tb), Sonny Rollins (ts), John Lewis (p), Percy Heath (b) & Roy Haynes (d) and 2/19/53, with Sonny Truitt (tb), Al Cohn (ts), Zoot Sims (ts), John Lewis (p), Leonard Gaskin (b) & Kenny Clarke (d). The four tunes from the 1953 session were written & arranged by Cohn & sound very un-Milesish except when Davis is soloing.

5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Larry Willis, BLUE FABLE (High Note, 2006). Willis has some real strong ones for High Note, like this one. Some may remember the intriguing and catchy title track, which was written by Jackie McLean and first recorded for McLean's JACKNIFE album (1965, but not released until 1975) on which Willis appeared as a relative youngster of 25. The rest of the program includes "Nardis," several Willis originals, "Never Let Me Go," Monk's "Rhythm-A-Ning," and trombonist Steve Davis' "Prayer for New Orleans." Joe Ford is a relatively "under the radar" guy despite stints with Jerry Gonazales' Fort Apache Band, McCoy Tyner's Big Band; I like his sound on alto, a very deep, rich, almost tenor-like sound. Excellent engineering by Rudy Van Gelder.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I was told that the system needs about 3 weeks break-in time (or whatever it's called), but I was surprised how good it sounded already.

7. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I dug out Stan Tracey's "Under Milk Wood". I'd not played it for years and I'd forgotten how good it is. I've had it on continuous play in the car for the last few days.

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  8. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

9. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Ken Peplowski - It's A Lonesome Old Town

[​IMG]

Campbell Saddler, DrJ and Six String like this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Milt Jackson and Big Brass: For Someone I Love - Riverside/OJC. A 1963 big-band date.

[​IMG]

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I will admit after my first listen though the playing is excellent the jams tend to be waaaaayy too long and run together.

12. Up until last week the name of Jack Dieval was unknown to me! I found this CD in the bargains last week and am very pleased with it. Tracks 1-12 were recorded live in concert in 1957 by Jack & The J.A.C.E All-Stars. The album was originally released on 10" Polydor. The music swings and grooves along very nicely. Tracks 13-16 were recorded in the studio a year earlier and released by Polydor on EP, with credits going to the Jack Dieval Trio. There is a consistently good sound on both live and studio recordings and it's good to have the otherwise impossible to find EP tracks included.

[​IMG]

Jazz aux Champs Elysees - Jack Dieval (EmArcy/Gitanes)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    DrJ, norman_frappe, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to: Chick Webb - Rhythm Man - HEP; 1931-1934 big-band recordings, transferred and mastered by John R.T. Davies.

[​IMG]

Campbell Saddler, DrJ, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  14. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Last night listened to this. Liberty reissue

[​IMG]

15. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I also listened to the Bitches Brew MFSL sacd. sounded real nice.

[​IMG]

16. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Insane playing :)

[​IMG]

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Woody Shaw - Imagination - Savoy/Muse. A 1987 quintet date with Woody Shaw (trumpet), Steve Turre (trombone), Kirk Lightsey (piano), Ray Drummond (bass) and Carl Allen (drums).

[​IMG]

I'm still not sure if I should get the Woody Shaw Muse Mosaic. To my ears his Muse recordings are a bit of a mixed bag.

18. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Branford Marsalis - In My Solitude: Live at Grace Cathedral HDTracks 24/96

[​IMG]

DrJ, Six String, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  19. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Nothing against Nelson, but I'm into this one for my man Dolphy.

Campbell Saddler, Mik, DrJ and 5 others like this.
  20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Could I get some help with Art Tatum's discography on CD? Looking for box sets or individual CDs with the best mastering quality.

21. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Of course, it depends on what you're looking for. Art Tatum died in 1956. Here's a sad, yet obvious fact: if you are looking for "audiophile" level recordings/remasterings, you need to look at artists who recorded beyond that point in time. I'd suggest the 2 Pablo boxed sets, which were remastered using technology from the late 80s/early 90s. On that basis alone (although the Fantasy team of engineers has consistently done an admirable, if not stellar job), these are unlikely to meet even the average audiophile's standards:

[​IMG]

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-complete-pablo-group-masterpieces-mw0000203887

[​IMG]

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-complete-pablo-solo-masterpieces-mw0000269791

Campbell Saddler, Mik, DrJ and 7 others like this.
  22. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Charles Lloyd & Jason Moran - Hagar's Song HDTracks 24/96

Charles Lloyd, tenor and alto saxophones, bass and alto flutes
    Jason Moran, piano, tambourine

[​IMG]

Campbell Saddler, Mik, DrJ and 6 others like this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There's an XRCD version of the album with Ben Webster in the Group Masterpieces series that was mastered by Alan Yoshida, JVC JVCXR-0034-2

[​IMG]

Campbell Saddler, Mik, DrJ and 5 others like this.
  24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Mastering quality (A/D process) is important to me, but I understand that recordings in the 40s aren't going to sound like the late 50s or into the 60s. Is there a complete solo/group masterpiece set on CD which is recommended?

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Yeah, I'll take one sealed at $30. PM me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.