The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP: Alone Together - Jim Hall - Ron Carter Duo.
    [​IMG]

I have had this vinyl for at least 15 years and just now noticed it was made and printed in Italy even though it has the distributed by Fantasy Records in Berkeley on the credits on the back and I bought it in San Francisco. Weird.

Anyway sounding great on this hot evening in the Bay Area.

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

John Coltrane - Offering, Live at Temple University. Recorded 11/11/66. Resonance vinyl reissue

Crescent is my favorite track on this live date.

[​IMG]

3. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Larry Young - Contrasts

[​IMG]

4. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

stranger....!

jiffypopinski likes this.
  5. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

:D

I've been on a massive prog rock tear lately so jazz went on the backburner. I get like that sometimes. :)

N/P:

Sonny Rollins - Our Man In Jazz

[​IMG]

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Tonight saw Vijay Iyer Trio @ The Montreal Jazz Fest and it was quite a show.

After Vijay welcomed the audience and introduced the Trio, there was a continuous hour long performance that began with music from Break Stuff, and included Monk and Threadgill along the way. There was another hour of music that mixed intensity with more subtle moments, followed by an encore of Human Nature and then one more encore dedicated to his recent film collaborator, director Prashant Bhargava, who passed away 6 weeks ago at age 42.

Loved it.

[​IMG]

(old pic from 2013)

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I need to get some music by this guy. I know I'd like him.

TimArruda likes this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Cool! My wife's daughter and family were in Montreal yesterday for the Women's U.S.A./Germany soccer game but they are now on their way to Toronto to attend a wedding so no jazz for them. I wish I could have done both. Are you going to any other shows?

NP Tom Harrell - Trip (cd)

9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    William Parker - Wood Flute Songs (AUM Fidelity)

Disc 4.

10. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

What do you think? I think it's nice, but hasn't quite caught me yet. I'm a bit touchy when it comes to violins...

Mathias Eick - Skala (2011)
    ECM 2187 - recorded 2009/10 - A3 KM/B4 JP (lacquer cut by Kati Müller/Julia Pampel at Celebrate Records)

[​IMG]

jeffsjazz, DrJ, ether-bored and 4 others like this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

2010 Verve 96/24 hi-res from HDtracks

Oscar Peterson - piano
    Ray Brown - bass
    Ed Thigpen - drums

Recorded December 16, 1962 in Los Angeles

[​IMG]

13. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

14. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Andrew Hill - "Smokestack" (1963) with Richard Davis and Eddie Khan (bass), Roy Haynes (drums).
    (Blue Note "Connoisseur" CD (1995)
    [​IMG]

15. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

OM - Cerberus (1980)
    JAPO 60032

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Fastnbulbous, DrJ and 2 others like this.
  16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I have the old 30XD Japanese prefix CD (lucked across it in a used store years ago). It's certainly quite listenable, but to my ears they either had a higher generation source, and/or the original recording is just pretty hissy and lacking on the high end. I'd be curious to see if that description matches with your impressions of the new Warner remaster - suspect there may be ongoing problems with the source material sound quality. Anyway I agree with you that it's an excellent album, laid back but in no way snoozy!

Fastnbulbous and rxcory like this.
  17. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I have no idea who this is or what it sounds like, but I would love to hear it based on the cover alone.

TimArruda likes this.
  18. Lonson

This SOB CD fascinates me.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and fingerpoppin like this.
  19. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Moody morning. 1959. Some deeply moving playing by Jackie McLean on the title track. (He's not on the other tracks.) Otherwise, some unexpectedly percussive playing -- like Bud Powell at his rawest, with the showmanship stripped away -- from Mal on a program of songs with no special connection to Lady Day. A brief album (just 34 minutes of music) that concludes with a few minutes of interview with Mal to fill out the running time. He sounds studious, ambitious, and very, very young.

IMO "Minor Pulsation" sounds more like Mal's later, post-breakdown work than anything else he recorded during the '50s.

[​IMG]

20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

There are still interesting shows to follow, but unfortunately I've spent my quota on concerts for a while.

May try to see some of the free outdoor shows.

Six String likes this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Sphere On Tour (Red)

I don't see Sphere LPs very often in the used racks. I acquired 3 titles back in the late 80s/early 90s and none sonce then though I don't think there were that many. Did anyone here ever see them?

22. Lonson

23. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

There are 7 (2 Warner, 2 Red, 3 Verve), though I don't know if the last one with Gary Bartz in Rouse's place ever made it to LP:

[​IMG]

24. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

Sphere released 6 LPs with the original lineup of Charlie Rouse on tenor, Kenny Barron on piano, Buster Williams on bass and Ben Riley on drums: two on Elektra Musician, two on Red Records and two on Verve. All were issued on vinyl.

Four in One - on Elektra Musician, recorded on February 17, 1982 (the day Monk passed)
    Flight Path - on Elektra Musician with a great cover photo of the Chrysler Building - rec January 1983
    On Tour - on Red Records, February 1985
    Live at Umbria Jazz on Red Records, July 1986
    Four for All - on Verve, March 1987
    Bird Songs - on Verve, March 1988

Another Sphere recording from October 1997 with Gary Bartz in place of Rouse (Sphere) was released by Verve, but I have never seen it on LP

25. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Aye you me? :)