The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Larry Young: Mother Ship

Larry Young: Organ
    Lee Morgan: Trumpet
    Herbie Morgan: Tenor
    Eddie Gladden: Drums

Recorded in February of 1969 but shelved until 1980. A travesty, this is a fantastic album, up there with Unity IMO. Sure, the personnel is not as 'loaded' as Unity but the playing is hot and interactive by all involved. Groovy yet exploratory, shades of the coming Lifetime here and there. All tunes by Larry this time. Morgan's a mutha.

Reissue cover, completely conveying what's to be found inside, looks like Larry is cuing a change:

[​IMG]

Original cover, conveying the five-and-dime cutout bin. Is there really smoking, otherworldly Jazz from 1969 inside?:confused:

[​IMG]

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Miles - Newport 1958.

Campbell Saddler, JRM, Marzz and 9 others like this.
  3. Dolphy

Dolphy New Member

Good luck in finding a space. You are absolutely right: most artists coming out from the east coast will be interested in additional gigs up or down the coast. I'll be trying to line up opportunities for Oliver in February; he's definitely interested.

I agree about the Roscoe/Tyshawn CD! I am so pleased to have brought them together! When they played in our home, they'd never previously met, much less played together. Even though Tyshawn had played with Braxton & George Lewis (his professor at Columbia.) They played without rehearsal, and it was magic. Tyshawn also played trombone, and Roscoe alto and baritone sax.

For your search: if you can't find a commercial space, do you know anybody with a home that has a decent sized living room? I have come to learn and appreciate how much musicians love performing in such an environment.

4. AxiomAcoustics

Shows what I know, thought t was a tasty snack!

[​IMG]

:winkgrin:

5. AxiomAcoustics

Larry Young: Contrasts

Larry Young: Organ
    Hank White: Flugelhorn
    Herbert Morgan and Tyrone Washington: Tenor saxophone
    Eddie Wright: Guitar
    Eddie Gladden: Drums
    Stacey Edwards: Congas
    Althea Young: Vocals (track 4)

Working backward, recorded in September of 1967, also at RVG's. A little more 'trad' in the swingin' organ sense but still adventurous and hinting at the avant-garde , with a nice vocal by Larry's wife on one track.

[​IMG]

6. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

7. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks, I do have a few options: a friend who is director of Jazz Studies at the UofO has a nice studio that is often available, nice live room, and the local non-profit Jazz club we volunteer at. The latter would be more costly but it's well setup, but, tends to be rather conservative. I was hoping to do something independently though, at a lower cost. Especially in light of the artists we are talking about; those without the 'draw' of a bigger name, or more mainstream following. For instance, Brotzmann/Parker/Drake were just through, caught them in Portland but they had to go from Santa Cruz to Portland. A real slog for road dogs ya know. Would have loved to present them here, but, we're not NYC or Chicago or LA or SF or Seattle, so costs must be kept to a minimum. A living room? Sure, but mine is full of stereo gear that's a PITA to move. :laugh: The garage has a drumkit! ...and cars.

So that gig was the genesis of the Mitchell/Sorey duo eh? Very cool. Sorey has been getting lots of gigs, which is great to see. Playing Trombone, right out of the Han Bennink school of poly-musicianship. Speaking of Sorey and Bones, his trio with Trombonist Michael Dessen is very good listening.

8. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I need to get that at some point, I have the track Street Scene on the So Blue So Funky vinyl comp and love that track.

9. Dolphy

Dolphy New Member

He's also a brilliant pianist, somewhat in the mold of Cecil Taylor. And a composer of (I detest the phrase) contemporary avant garden classical. He's amazing. And has the most eclectic musical tastes. He wanted to go to Moe's. I dropped him off, he said to pick him up in an hour. He had 2 boxes of LPs! Stockhausen, a Moetown disc, Jewish Cantorial music from the early part of the last century, Morton Feldman, tribal music from Madagascar , much more. He is a musical sponge of so many influences, but has a distinct voice.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Whom are you talking about? You didn't mention a name.

11. Dolphy

Dolphy New Member

Yeah.... meant this to be a response to AxiomAcoustics. Didn't hit the quote button.

I'm referring here toTyshawn Sorey.

12. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

My shopping cart at cdjapan beckons, and so I petition ye esteemed experts: which Gil Evans reissue to grab, Into the Hot or Priestess?

13. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Well, given that Gil does not appear anywhere on Into The Hot, I'd go for Priestess. IIRC David Sanborn is featured heavily on Priestess.

jiffypopinski and SteelyTom like this.
  14. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Brand new cd from nessa records!

15. AxiomAcoustics

If I may cop the title of a Sonny Rollins LP; Now's The Time! Excellent album, don't wait, you're missing out.

16. AxiomAcoustics

Sounds like he would be great to hang with and have an elongated listening session!

17. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

Now playing - Horace Parlan - Happy Frame of Mind - Music Matters 2X45 vinyl

A 1963 session on Blue Note that was not released until 1986 under it's own name. It was released in 1976 under Booker Ervin's name as a twofer called Back From The Gig. As far as I'm concerned this album is worth having for the track "Home is Africa" alone. What a killer tune.

[​IMG]

• Horace Parlan - piano
    • Johnny Coles - trumpet
    • Booker Ervin - tenor saxophone
    • Grant Green - guitar
    • Butch Warren - bass
    • Billy Higgins - drums

Campbell Saddler, JRM, Marzz and 15 others like this.
  18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    THE COMPLETE BLUE NOTE RECORDINGS OF FREDDIE REDD (Mosaic). All of the albums gathered together in this 1989 2 CD Mosaic set - MUSIC FROM "THE CONNECTION," SHADES OF REDD, and REDD'S BLUES - have of course been reissued individually on disc subsequently. But it's still nice to have all the material in one handsome package. Great hard bop playing and distinctive Redd compositions; no wonder a number of adventurous musicians from subsequent generations have covered his tunes (e.g., the Zorn/Frisell/Lewis trio that released NEWS FOR LULU and MORE NEWS FOR LULU on hatArt, which included Redd's "Melanie," "Blues Blues Blues," and "Ole" as well as classic hard bop material from other giants of Redd's era - Hank Mobley, Sonny Clark, Kenny Dorham).

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm in two minds about this set. While it's good to hear Jackie McLean and especially Tina Brooks, I've never been impressed by Redd's playing on these albums - or any other album, for that matter. I had this set, sold it, got it again after several years from someone at Organissimo a while ago and was once again disappointed...

bluemooze and DrJ like this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A pet peeve of mine (not aimed at you, DrJ!): the possessive pronoun is "its", not "it's" as I see here all the time - well, maybe not all the time, but very often. In some context it can be quite confusing, especially for non-native English speakers.
    (I know, not important, but I just had to get this off my chest :hide:)

DrJ likes this.
  21. AxiomAcoustics

Yes, but ITH has the Cecil Taylor Quartet/Septet. Must you really choose?

Campbell Saddler and SteelyTom like this.
  22. AxiomAcoustics

You should see it here in the US, magazines and newspapers have dropped any distinction whatsoever and "it's" all "its".

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I get daily e-mail newsletters from the NY Times and the Washington Post and U.K. newspapers The Independent and The Guardian and their spelling is perfect.

24. AxiomAcoustics

I rarely see it's or its' used anymore, always its.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, the papers I mentioned are using "its" (possessive) and "it's" (contraction of it is) correctly. I've never seen "its' ".

There's much abuse of the apostrophe... :)