The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Larry Young: Of Love and Peace

Larry Young: Organ
    Eddie Gale: trumpet
    James Spaulding: flute on "Of Love And Peace", alto saxophone on remainder
    Herbert Morgan: tenor saxophone
    Wilson Moorman III: drums
    Jerry Thomas: drums

Recorded July 26, 1966, follow up to Unity and predecessor to Contrasts.

[​IMG]

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Wow, you're on quite a Larry Young trip. He's about the only organist whose playing I can stand, probably because his work is generally more adventurous than many other organ players' stuff.

3. AxiomAcoustics

Sorry, I'm trying to say there has been a lot of dropping of the apostrophe so we end up with "its" to cover both. Too many " and ' involved. :sweating:

4. AxiomAcoustics

Agreed, one of the few to break the soul grounding of Jimmy Smith at the time. I get on these benders when something is going down well, plus, less rooting through the shelves, easy on the eyes. :)

TimArruda likes this.
  5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I only have Unity but have heard the Mosaic set. Maybe I should try and get that set some time - if the price is reasonable, that is, which it isn't until now :)

6. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Between this and "kudos" I think we've saved the mother tongue from imminent demise. :righton:

Dr Faustus and macdaddysinfo like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, it's not my mother tongue... :)

Glad I could help, though ;)

8. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Most egregious grammatical issues today:

they're
    their
    there

:)

9. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

TYPO...about 2/3 of my living is made writing scientific papers, so I understand the distinction. I take pride in the fact that when it comes to my published research manuscripts (up to nearly an even 100 now), the journals rarely find usage or grammatical errors or typos during the copy editing process. I'm rather anal about this type of thing in my professional writing!

But here, I am usually in a hurry when posting, and I don't tend to view perfect grammar and spelling as critical in this context - but hey, thanks (I was tempted to write "thank's" just to further stir the pot!) ;) for the proofreading.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    macdaddysinfo likes this.
  10. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Ah well. Lots of other good music out there for you to enjoy.

Myself, I don't consider Redd any kind of virtuoso pianist, but I like what he did, mostly. I put him in the "simple but effective" school of pianists, not so very different in that way than Horace Silver. I agree that the other front line musicians on the Redd Blue Note recordings (including trumpeter Benny Bailey who I also quite like) are generally stronger soloists than Redd. The reason I underscored Redd's compositions in my original post is that I think that composing was clearly his strongest suit.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

How I feel about it too.

12. Lonson

Enjoying this one right now, I like this one the more I spin it.

[​IMG]

13. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]
    1997 Blue Note/Capitol CDP 0777 7 84350 2 0 ("Rare Groove Series") mastered by Ron McMaster

Recorded September 1969

Just received this CD in the mail and this was my first listen. This is a fun one, but it's not my favorite Jimmy McGriff album.

14. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

[​IMG]

A transitional phase for Trane, having just left Monk and returned to Miles. With Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Art Taylor. This is Van Gelder's 2007 remaster of a 1958 overlooked treasure.

15. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I've been hesitant about Gil Evans and especially large bands that I associate with him and Oliver Nelson, but I'm about to order The Individualism Of Gil Evans. It's my first of his, though I like Sketches of Spain, but it took me awhile to appreciate.

[​IMG]

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As I explicitly pointed out I wasn't commenting on any of your posts, it was a general remark.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Don't get me started... An error that I see quite often is ad nauseum, which should be ad nauseam, of course. I could go on and on and on, but I won't ;)

JETman likes this.
  18. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

As a german, I can't stand when Americans use german words to emphasize on whatever they're trying to communicate. Words such as Dreck, Hausfrau, Schmutz, kaputt etc. (not putting these words into context, just so you know). Even worse are these arrogant little business studying pricks from Germany who feed every sentence with an english term. They feel highly intellectual and superior doing that. I could slab them instantly. [/aggressive mode]

19. Lonson

20. Lonson

And all this talk of typos and word usage is appropriate for "Jazz Beat"?*

(People report my posts when I diverge so I just had to say it.) ;)

21. Mono / Recorded 1958

[​IMG]

Rojo - Red Garland Trio
    (Prestige)
    with
    Ray Barretto (conga drum)

Campbell Saddler, JRM, Marzz and 6 others like this.
  22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I agree that it's off-topic, but so are stories about one's personal life and continuous sound system upgrade reports.

Sorcerer and JETman like this.
  23. Live 1966

[​IMG]

Concert In Japan Vol. 1 - The Modern Jazz Quartet (Atlantic)

24. Lonson

My point. One annoys me as much as the other may annoy you. Personally I feel they are all part of a conversation. Others talk of their stereos and personal life too. Including you.

Whatever. This is not the place for that discussion.

Right now
    [​IMG]

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's true that I mentioned my problems with my sound system when it broke down and prevented me from listening to anything, just to explain my absence from threads like this, but I'm not going on and on about it and I don't share stories about my personal life here - OK, I may once have mentioned that my parents had died many years ago, but that was in a certain context. My personal life is a private matter and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and it's certainly not part of a conversation.

Sorcerer and JETman like this.