The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

My library is a little weak in Jarrett's American Quartet area and I've not heard this one. When you say hirez version are we talking disc or files?

WP Jack Wilson plays Brazilian Mancini (Vault) Stereo, aquamarine label.

This is my least favorite album by the artist and he's someone I really admire. Even though there are some Brazilians on the album I don't think the trap drummer is Brazilian because it sounds like an American drummer trying to play "Brazilian". Is there an American drumming? The production is typical of the time in the mid 60s when Bossa Nova was popular and the U.S. labels were doing what they do best, not really getting it and overdoing what ever sticks to the wall. Most American drummers couldn't get a relaxed groove when trying to bossa or samba. They kept time but the accents weren't quite right and it sounded pretty bland if you've heard the real deal. Jack's straight ahead jazz albums are much more to my taste and this could have been much better with different production values and a different drummer. Roy Ayers adds some nice vibraharp to the mix of guitar and piano. Jack's straight ahead jazz albums are more my cup of tea.

NP Larry Young - Mother Ship (Blue Note) LT series. Technically a first press as this was the first release of this material recorded in 1969 and released circa 1980. Lee Morgan and Herbert Morgan on the front line. Great stuff and another one of those "they held this back?"

2. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If sound quality is important, member @Sorcerer can probably advise you. He's done research into Japanese impulse! reissues.

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing

charlesp, 93curr, bluemooze and 7 others like this.
  5. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  6. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

I'm afraid I haven't heard it, but I'd also like to know.

7. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

i'd be curious, too. coincidentally, i gave it a spin two evenings ago, after bi-wiring my speakers with fresh cable, and it (the mofi and a couple japanese pressings) revealed some interesting audiology that a flat transfer might help. i could see if it were one of your all-time desert island can't-live-without sessions...

SteelyTom likes this.
  8. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

9. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Joe Henderson- Inner Urge
    [​IMG]

10. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

SteelyTom likes this.
  11. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

SHM-SACDs are not hybrid, and sadly my research grant was too small for the purchase of a SACD player. ;)

Voltaire and TimArruda like this.
  12. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The office is hereby closed. To quote a famous guitarist: "I have decided to withhold the passage of my opinion". I have reached "nirvana" -- the only person who deserves to hear it is me. What others think of my tastes no longer matters, as it should be. I only wish you the best in reaching the same satisfying conclusion.

macdaddysinfo, charlesp and SteelyTom like this.
  13. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

[​IMG]

I'll always marvel at the addition of Pee Wee Russell to the '63 show. Some friends can't stand his contributions; this version of "Blue Monk" is among my favorites precisely because of Pee Wee's noodlings.

56GoldTop, alankin1, 93curr and 8 others like this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

New York Art Quartet - Old Stuff

[​IMG]

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I think I have the '65 Newport from a flac d/l from Wolfgang's Vault a few years ago. It has a lot of energy from what I remember. :hide: I haven't played it in a while. I have been listening to Denny Zeitlin a lot both from my own collection and Youtube. What a musician. It's hard to believe that he also is a psychiatrist who has been on staff at U.C.S.F. as a teacher as well as a private practice out of his home in Marin. I haven't seen him perform since the late 90s and I'm feeling a need to get some of his releases from this century. He's made some recordings with Buster Williams and Matt Wilson and some solo work in the last ten or so years and I like what I heard.
    Now for something completely different.

Ben Webster Meets Don Byas (MPS) 1973
    W/Tete Montoliu (p) "Tootie" Heath (d) and Peter Trunk(b).

This is a solid date, played with a lot of verve. Maybe Byas challenged Webster for more uptempo programing.

Oops! It's taken so long to type this out the side is over and I'm on to Cal Tjader featuring Clare Fischer on the Fantasy album Guarabe. Nice contemporary Latin Jazz sound with Pancho Sanchez and some nice work from Clare on keyboards and Bob Redfield on guitar.

SteelyTom, fingerpoppin and DrJ like this.
  16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Sonny Stitt - Turn It On! (prestige) 1971
    Leon Spencer - organ
    Virgil Jones - trumpet
    Melvin Sparks - guitar
    Idris Muhammad - drums

This is some funky jazz no doubt. Idris really kicks it with Leon Spencer.

jeffsjazz, Texas T, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

McCoy Tyner - Super Trios (Milestone) tan label.
    Record one w-Ron Carter and Tony Williams. Lots of energy here. I think this was the first Tyner album I ever bought.

jeffsjazz, Maseman66, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Denny Zeitlin Trio Live At The Trident Shining Hour (Columbia) 2 Eye Stereo.
    W/Charlie Haden and Jerry Granelli.

jeffsjazz, charlesp, DrJ and 2 others like this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Randy Weston - With These Hands (Milestone) remaster from 1977 as part of a twofer "Zulu"

Marzz, DrJ, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Probably last one for the night.

Ben Webster - The Warm Moods (Reprise) custom, multi-colored label, mono

Marzz, TimArruda, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  21. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

[​IMG]

Something I hadn't heard before. Very atmospheric - good morning music.

jeffsjazz, no.nine, Voltaire and 7 others like this.
  22. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - The Vibration Continues

[​IMG]

23. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

MILES DAVIS / THE COMPLETE PLUGGED NICKEL SESSIONS / COLUMBIA / 1965 / DISC 2 OF MOSAIC 10LP SET

Personnel: Miles Davis (t), Wayne Shorter (ts), Herbie Hancock (p), Ron Carter (b), Tony Williams (d)

[​IMG]

24. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Japan Universal is releasing a budget CD version of this title September 30. It's possible it may use similar mastering, they've used the mastering of previous SHM-CD Coltrane releases in the last batch of these budget reissues.

Right now
    [​IMG]

cds23, 56GoldTop, Marzz and 4 others like this.