The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Towner's music gets played in the morning here at Che Six String quite a bit relative to other parts of the day/night.
    It really does work well for such times. I have several albums by him but he's one I'd like to hear more of, particularly newer material, say the last ten or fifteen years. All of my albums are from the 70s/early 80s.

WP Miles - Relaxin (Prestige) black and yellow mono NJ pressing.

NP Miles and Marcus Miller - Siesta (WB)

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Pacific Jazz Piano Trios – CD 1

Russ FreemanRuss Freeman Trio [(BC) from Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select] (Pacific Jazz—Mosaic)
    — With Joe Mondragon, Shelly Manne

Russ FreemanTrio Russ Freeman / Richard Twardzik [(A) from Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select] (Pacific Jazz (Japan)—Mosaic)
    — With Red Mitchell, (probl.) Bobby White; issued on CD version in Japan

Russ Freeman Trio – [(D) from Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select] (Pacific Jazz—Mosaic)
    — With Monty Budwig, Shelly Manne; originally issued on two PJ, WP anthologies: Have Blues, Will Travel and Jazz Swings Broadway

Richard TwardzikTrio Russ Freeman / Richard Twardzik [(E) from Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select] (Pacific Jazz—Mosaic)
    — With Carson Smith, Peter Littman

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    jeffsjazz, DrJ, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  4. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

FRED JACKSON / HOOTIN' 'N TOOTIN' / BLUE NOTE / 1962 / ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS SACD

Personnel: Fred Jackson (ts), Earl Van Dyke (org), Willie Jones (g), Sam Jones (b), WIlbert Hogan (d)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Lonson

[​IMG]
    Just what this afternoon needs.

alankin1, cds23, 56GoldTop and 2 others like this.
  6. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

[​IMG]

OP Trio + One - Clark Terry

I'm liking this more than I ever did -- had not listened to it in a few years. The only caveat is that there are better versions of Mumbles out there. I believe the liner notes said this is the first version put on LP. Is the original Verve release better sonically than this remaster, which is what I played today? Maybe it is my equipment, but it seems there is a bit of HF distortion on a few of the high trumpet notes when Terry is playing with a mute.

7. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

I have a copy of this on vinyl from Japan. I can't comment on a better version of Mumbles, but I do really enjoy this album. I think they worked well together.

DrJ and Marzz like this.
  8. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Jean-Luc Ponty: Live
    [​IMG]
    Getting a jump on fusion Friday. Pretty hot band documented on this release.

DrJ, Cactus Bob, cds23 and 4 others like this.
  9. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Diana Krall - Glad Rag Doll (Deluxe Edition)

Is this jazz? Kinda sorta. This material would have worked better if she had approached it from her usual jazz quartet angle. The guitars on this sound like tinny klunky pawn shop models, which annoys me a bit, or at least it is a distraction, not in the least bit helpful. I figure she wanted to take some of the "sheen" off her usual work, but this is a little too far in the barrellhouse direction. Some of the quieter bonus tracks at the end work better for me, because they are "deluxe." ;)

Six String and bluemooze like this.
  10. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

it says diana on the label, but it's a t bone burnett record by another name. his touch suits some - and others not so much.

autodidact likes this.
  11. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Jim Hall- Concierto
    [​IMG]

12. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Ralph Towner- Anthem (ECM)
    [​IMG]

13. Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

Seeing this inspired me to pull out my Mosaic, "Complete Roulette Jack Teagarden Sessions" and that's what I've been listening to ever since. Awhile back I went through a major Teagarden phase that got pretty serious. Just love his easy sense of swing and those slow as molasses vocals. Even here, close to the end, Teagarden was recording with his strong working band and making delightful music. My only quibble with these recordings is the decision to let Don Goldie share some vocals. While I love Teagarden's voice, Goldie's I find irritating, particularly the Louis Armstrong imitation.

By the way congratulations on surviving the move. The older I get, the harder they seem. Also my sympathies concerning your father and his move to assisted living. Having faced a similar situation with both my parents over the past few years I can identify with what you have been dealing with. The one thing I am convinced about is that my parents' move extended their lives and gave us more time together. Best wishes.

Cactus Bob, Six String and Lonson like this.
  14. moosebass

moosebass Forum reader and 'like'er.

Finished listening to Charles 'Baron' Mingus yesterday
    [​IMG]

and promptly went on a Barney Kessel kick.

Kessel Plays Standards
    [​IMG]

Music to Listen To Barney Kessel By
    [​IMG]

and To Swing Or Not To Swing
    [​IMG]

15. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Thelonious Monk Quartet (plus Two) - "At The Blackhawk" (1960)
    with Charlie Rouse (tenor sax), John Ore (bass), Billy Higgins (drums) plus Two - Joe Gordon (trumpet) and Harold Land (tenor sax).
    Great line-up :cool:

(OJC CD 1987)
    [​IMG]

jeffsjazz, Jackie P, rxcory and 16 others like this.
  16. Lonson

I've remained a big Teagarden fan . . . just love his stuff. The more I listen and learn about him over the years, the more I enjoy his music.

Thanks for the kind words. I think this will extend my Dad's life, he's very happy where he's moved to and is coming out of his shell more. I will see him less, and that has its disadvantages, but I'm enjoying a happy life in the woods with my fiancee and have really needed to have my own life back!

Right now
    [​IMG]

jeffsjazz, alankin1 and Texas T like this.
  17. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

[​IMG]

New 2-LP reissue of Uri Caine's Mahler rearrangement recorded in 1996.

Starwanderer, alankin1 and bluemooze like this.
  18. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Very much agree. "Roundelay" is a classic - swinging, elegant, wicked catchy. I first heard it on the Peterson COMPACT JAZZ compilation on Verve years ago and loved it right away, prompting me to eventually get the PLUS ONE album. The rest of the album is excellent, but I keep coming back to that particular track especially.

By the way it just occurred to me I'd never looked up the meaning of the word "roundelay" - just did, and found this definition: "a short simple song with a refrain." Well suited to Peterson's piece!

To address autodidact's question about sound and PLUS ONE - I prefer the original U.S. Verve CD to the Master Edition. Both have a little "grain" but to me the earlier disc sounds more natural, a little softer (in a good way) on top, and as I recall the stereo field was folded in some on the Master Edition disc.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Cactus Bob, autodidact, cds23 and 2 others like this.
  20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded in 1956. This is one of my favorite Baker recordings, and one to play for folks who think he could only do mellow and moody. Yes, he was very much at home in that type of bag, but he could also do uptempo bop, as he does on many of the tracks here. Russ Freeman was a great musical companion, too. This is the U.S. CD issue from the 1990s. Mastering (Ron McMaster) is good overall, though a little bright on top.

rxcory, bluemooze, vanhooserd and 9 others like this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

For the record, I think that Diana Krall album is jazz, as much jazz as any of her early albums. Hell, just having Marc Ribot on it is jazz enough for me.

NP Horace Silver - Cape Verdean Blues (Blue Note) NY stereo pressing

I rhink this might be the first Silver album I ever bought. Back when you could find these kinds of lps in the wild.

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Music Inc - Live at Slug's Vol. II (Strata East) black & white label
    Charles Tolliver
    Stanley Cowell
    Cecil McBee
    Jimmy Hopps

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

You'll still see your Dad more often than when you lived in Austin so relax and enjoy yourself after a lot of hard work.
    It's god to hear he's doing so well. That must make you feel a little better.

Lonson and TimArruda like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Coltrane - Blue Train (Blue Note) Music Matters 33.3 mono.

I haven't played it in a while and decided to revisit tonight, Like Kind Of Blue, it is a joy to hear no matter how many times I play it. I've never decided whether I like the stereo or the mono more.

25. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

This may very well be my favourite Monk live album. Just wonderful from start to finish.

Starwanderer and Marzz like this.