The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

It is very good - I picked it up at a used record shop because I love Jan Garbarek and it was cheap. Need to check out some more of his music, as this album is great. Any suggestions?

2. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

That's the first jazz album I ever got into. Found a copy of it in my dad's collection when I was 10 (he never listened to it afaik) and thought it looked cool. So I played it. Didn't really like it, but there was something there. So I played it again - it was interesting. So I played it a few more times. Then figured I should spend my allowance on some more Coltrane albums. And so it began...

TimArruda likes this.
  3. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Towner or Garbarek?

4. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Thanks! It does make me feel very happy that we found just the right place for him and he's thriving. His grief over losing my Mom was really hard to bear and he's needed to branch out.

Right now
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

HERB ELLIS / NOTHING BUT THE BLUES / VERVE / 1957 / 1994 REISSUE CD

Personnel: Herb Ellis (g), Stan Getz (ts), Roy Eldridge (t), Ray Brown (b), Stan Levey (d)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone else here own this CD? Or heard it? This is definitely the greatest ear bleeder in my collection. The sound is really abominable. As with many mid- to end 50's recordings from Verve, this is a bright sounding recording to begin with. But apparently the mastering engineer in charge for this reissue thought that "bright" wasn't enough, so he boosted the treble to the point where I really fear my ears will take harm when Roy Eldrige starts playing his trumpet. So I decided to rip the CD and equalize it in order to make it listenable, because this is a great album that deserves good sound. I know, EQ'ing from a CD isn't exactly what is considered audiophile in this forum, but I don't care for this CD. I added some more body by adding +1db at around 500hz and some more bass contour with +1,5db at around 60hz. The most important part was some reverse EQ with -4db at around 2,5khz with a wide Q. This definitely helped relaxing the trumpet sound while retaining a natural tone. The cymbals aren't "splishy-splashy" anymore and have a nice shimmer. Now it sounds less thin ("warm"), with nice midrange and yet still detailed. This album definitely deserves a new digital reissue.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    rxcory, bluemooze and Marzz like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have that one (the 1994 CD) too and noticed that it was mastered by Suha Gur, whose work I don't like at all. I haven't listened to it in ages, so I can't really comment on this particular mastering. I am allergic to boosted highs, even though my ears are 68+ years old :). Maybe I should give it a listen. However, it's certainly not a favourite of mine; as far as I can remember it's a typical Norman Granz blowing session and I'm not really into that kind of thing.

8. Lonson

9. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I think it's got a lot more preparation/planning than the typical blowing session. Particularly fond of "Royal Garden Blues." Musically, I think it's great. But definitely you and cds23 are right about the mastering - WAYYY too bright and thin. Suha Gur strikes again.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, like I said I haven't listened to it in years, but if I remember correctly I didn't find it very interesting, it's just not my cup of tea.

[edit]

I'm listening to it now and it confirms my impression from years ago. Just goes to show how much personal tastes and preferences can differ :)

11. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Agreed! What a treat to have Joe Gordon and Harold Land along as well.

jeffsjazz likes this.
  12. Lonson

Re: Herb Ellis: On some of these Verve titles I listen with the "phase button" on my DAC in the "Out" position. Helps! I think many may actually be mastered out of phase somewhere in the chain.

Right now, continuing a batch of discs arrived this morning from CDJapan, new budget reissues from Universal Japan.
    [​IMG]

rxcory, bluemooze, charlesp and 2 others like this.
  13. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Yes, unfortunately i have the same CD (1994). Wonder if it ever had any other CD issue.
    CD Japan have it listed as a September pre-order BUT it is a "non-Japan made disc"! No other information as far as i could tell.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/OTCD-4809

jeffsjazz and autodidact like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It has to feel incredibley disorienting to lose someone that has been right there with you all the way. I hope he finds some level of comfort in his new space. It can't be easy.

NP Roy Ayers - Virgo Vibes (Atlantic) cheap reissue of an undetermined source. There are no markings anywhere I can find to identify it and I've forgotten any details but the pressing isn't real great but it's the only pressing I've ever seen of this album. The album is made up of two sessions with different groups split between the two sides. The only links between the two besides Ayers is Charles Tolliver. Side one features Joe Henderson while Harold Land takes over tenor sax duties on side two. I'd love to find a better copy of this hard to find album.

bluemooze and TimArruda like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Elmo Hope Trio and Quintet - Blue Note (1991; transfers by Ron McMaster). Hope's complete Blue Note sessions from 1953-1954 and 1957. Collective personnel: Freeman Lee (trumpet), Stu Williamson (trumpet), Harold Land (tenor saxophone), Frank Foster (tenor saxophone), Elmo Hope (piano), Percy Heath (bass), Leroy Vinnegar (bass), Philly Joe Jones (drums), Art Blakey (drums) and Frank Butler (drums). The cover photo of the CD has been edited compared to the one below.

[​IMG]

jeffsjazz, rxcory, Soulpope and 8 others like this.
  16. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

A favourite keeping me up well past midnight down here...

Carmell Jones - "The Remarkable Carmell Jones" (1960)
    featuring Harold Land, with Frank Strazzeri (piano), Gary Peacock (bass), Leon Pettis (drums).

(Pacific Jazz/ Japan CD reissue 2010)
    [​IMG]

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A great album, also a favourite of mine. I must admit that I haven't listened to it in ages.

Marzz likes this.
  18. Lonson

That is one of my favorite Ayers. I know you rarely do CD if at all but the latest Warner/Japan cd sounds quite decent to me.

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

For Towner I have some older suggestions. I don't have anything from the last ten or so years although someone posted his Anthem cd recently and I've been meaning to check that one out for years. It got great reviews upon release.

Matchbook - Towner with Gary Burton (ECM)
    Slide Show - Towner with Gary Burton (ECM)
    Batik - w/Eddie Gomez and Jack DeJohnette
    Diary - solo Towner (ECM) guitar, piano, gong
    Towner with Glen Moore - Trios/Solos:features the members of Oregon in different configurations.
    Solo Concert - guitars only

All of these have something to offer. I have not heard any Towner album I didn't like. Matchbook might be my favorite of the bunch if push comes to shove. Have you heard his work with Oregon?

NP Harold Vick -the Caribbean Suite (RCA) mono black label with Nipper.

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I do buy cds, just not as much so thanks for that recommendation. I wouldn't mind trying a cd of the album as an original is probably above my cutoff for $ and a cd would avoid the pressing issues of this so-so lp. I've been wanting to check out some of these new fangled cds the Japanese are coming up with, particularly some Hank Jones discs.

21. Lonson

Cool, I've been using CDJapan and really enjoying the pricing and the packaging and delivery. CDs from Japan have really been pleasing me the last five years or so. I do vinyl too, but not to the extent that I do CD. . . I love vinyl though.

Erik B. likes this.
  22. Lonson

Last post before heading off to run some errands. Man these reissues sound good!

[​IMG]

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now some West Coast hard bop: Curtis Counce Group, Vol.1: Landslide - Original Jazz Classics/Contemporary. Recorded in 1956. Personnel: Jack Sheldon (trumpet), Harold Land (tenor saxophone), Carl Perkins (piano), Curtis Counce (bass) and Frank Butler (drums). Another jazz musician who died way too soon, in 1963 at age 37 from a heart attack.

[​IMG]

24. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

This I would like to hear, not familiar with it at all. Thanks for playing it!

DrJ likes this.
  25. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

So true! Love my Music Matters 33.3 mono copy.