Jazz fans: your favorite AND most coveted Mosaic Box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

To all you jazz collector's/fans: name your favorite Mosaic box set that you own, along with the one you missed out on & regret not buying when in print. It can be a big box set, or one of the Mosaic selects. CD or vinyl.

My favorite is the Paul Chambers Mosaic. My favorite bassist, and a great sounding collection of his Blue Note albums.

My most coveted is the long OOP Elvin Jones box set. I heard some tracks from this & wanted to get it but missed out. Now it goes for big money---way out of my reach right now.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

3. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

miles davis quintet 65-68 on vinyl!

I also have the Miles Coltrane vinyl box
    and the Blackhawk sessions

now all oop

4. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I've tracked down most of the OOP sets I was after. It was mostly Miles Davis sets. Managed to fill in the blanks nicely, so I'm good.

I love all the Mosaic LP sets I own, but I have a special fondness for these 10.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

joey36569 and Erik B. like this.
  5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I love my George Shearing vinyl box.

6. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

The Complete Roost Johnny Smith Small Group Sessions. A must-have for any serious jazz guitar fan.

7. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

My favorite Mosaic set that I own is The Complete Blue Note Andrew Hill Sessions (1963-66): consistently inventive playing throughout the 7 CDs.

[​IMG]

The two Mosaic sets I covet at this point are The Complete Recordings Of T-Bone Walker 1940-1954 and The Complete Candid Recordings Of Cecil Taylor And Buell Neidlinger: I just want the Mosaic treatment for each artist :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 926am

926am Senior Member

Nat Cole complete Capitol and Andrew Hill.

RiRiIII likes this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have too many stylistically different Mosaics to pick just one and it also depends on the mood I'm in, so I can't answer the question. A Mosaic I'm very much looking forward to is the upcoming 1922-1947 Coleman Hawkins set.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  10. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Blakey, Braxton, Cherry, Cole, two 30s/40s Ellingtons, Farlow, Farmer/Golson, Giuffre, Green, Herman Columbias, Hill, HRS, Jamal, Elvin Jones, Jackie Mac, Mobley, MJQ, Lee Morgan (Blue Notes), Morgan/Shorter VeeJays, Nichols, Redd, Rivers, Roach, Jimmy Smith, Taylor/Niedlinger, Threadgill, Tristano, Larry Young, Lester Young. Enough?

I'm sure the upcoming Hawk set will turn out to be a favorite. Ones I missed out on are Buddy DeFranco/Sonny Clark, Shorty Rogers and Maynard Ferguson. I don't even bother checking ebay anymore........

11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Ellington small groups

eno789 and SOONERFAN like this.
  12. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Mouth-watering stuff.

I've salivated over the Andrew Hill, Jackie Mac, Miles Plugged Nickel LP boxes the most lately. Have a lot of this stuff on vinyl, except the Plugged Nickel (only the 2 or 3 lps released). Our man in Nigeria has an amazing collection!

13. ubik333

ubik333 Active Member

I was fortunate enough to meet Andrew Hill and Cecil Taylor. They each seemed quite pleased to sign the booklet for their Mosaic set. Needless to say, these are my special favorites.

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have almost every one, or the material within. I think I'd most like to have the Bechet, though I have the material within.

It's very hard to say which is my favorite. Sometimes I feel it's the Art Hodes, a fantastic set. But it may be safe to say it's the Nat Cole. . . one of the first I bought, and one that took a huge chunk out of my then thin wallet.

15. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

Either the Andrew Hill or Larry Young for me. I'd quie like to get the Basie Roulette's but I have all of the ones that I desparately wanted.

16. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Favorite: The ones that I have

Most Coveted: The ones I don't have

17. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I only own one but it is certainly coveted. The Tina Brooks box set. The box itself is not in particularly great shape; fortunately the records play near mint.

The interesting thing about it is that it originally belonged to Robert Palmer, music critic and author who wrote the liner notes for the booklet in the box set, who was a very big Tina Brooks fan and passed away in 1997.

18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I have so many (132 to be exact including both "regular" Mosaics and Selects - been collecting jazz recordings heavily for almost 20 years now) and love them all. Couldn't possibly pick one.

There's only a few I DON'T have and I covet them seriously - most are the blues or R&B oriented sets - Otis Spann/Lightnin' Hopkins, T-Bone Walker, Charles Brown, Amos Milburn - I chose to skip these back in the day when I was a bit burned out on this kind of material, but now really regret it - still looking for reasonable deals on these.

And then I also lack the Bill Evans Final Village Vanguard Sessions vinyl box (I have the CD set released by Warners but seriously jones for the vinyl - it sells for crazy high figures though so I may never get this one).

And the Bud Powell and Clifford Brown sets (though I have all the material in those as well in other formats, and they are lower priority as a result).

Other than that I think I have all of the out of print sets - there are many still in print sets I haven't caught up with yet.

19. #1 - Andrew Hill Select (Blue Note sessions) -- about 70% of which was previously unreleased.

#2 - Andrew Hill big-box (autographed by the man himself in Iowa City, circa 2003)

#3 - Larry Young big-box

#4 - Charles Tolliver Select

If I started to list any others, I'd have to list close to a dozen others I love.

I own a total of 15 Mosaic 'big boxes' and 10 'Selects' (with plans to buy another 2 or 3 'Selects' among those currently available).

20. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

I regret not getting the Complete Blackhawk set as I have the other Miles Davis.

Most played is the Jackie McLean Blue Note 64-66, followed by Plugged Nickel, Phil Woods, Woody Shaw's CBS Studio Recordings and Don Cherry's Blue Note Recordings

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'd love to score the Mingus sets...

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Which versions are you looking for, LP or CD? The Complete Candid Recordings set was released in both formats, but the Complete 1959 CBS Sessions set was released on LP only. Sony later released the CD version.

23. ramokoff

ramokoff Forum Resident

My favorites

1. Miles Davis Mosaic Box Sets (8 large box sets, total 67 LPs)

2. Bill Evans: The Final Village Vanguard Sessions-June 1980 (10 LPs)

3. The Complete Blue Note Andrew Hill Sessions (1963-66) (10 LPs)

4. The Complete Roulette Studio Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra (15 LPs)

5. The Complete Johnny Hodges Recordings 1951-1955 (6 LPs)

6. The Complete 1959 CBS Charles Mingus Sessions (4 LPs)

7. The Complete Blue Note Horace Parlan Sessions (8 LPs)

8. The Complete Roulette Recordings of the Maynard Ferguson Orchestra (14 LPs)

9. The Complete Columbia J.J. Johnson Small Group Sessions (11 LPs)

10. The Complete Solid State Recordings of the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra (7 LPs)

Attached Files:

24. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

The only one I own is the Tina Brooks box set but I'm pretty fond of it.

25. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I've got the Grant Green w/ Sonny Clark and the Larry Young boxes, both cd sets.
    Both acquired around the time of release. Both sets were my first introduction to the music therein, accept for a c90 tape of Grant Green's Airegin and Oleo, which was my first intro to Grant Green.
    Would love to have all the Mosaic sets, especially the Jackie McLean, Andrew Hill, Horace Parlan or Tal Farlow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.