Jazz Images 180G Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken.e., Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since... Thread Starter

I see on Amazon a bunch of classic Jazz albums coming up for sale for affordable prices. They are on a Jazz label called Jazz Images and all the covers have been changed to photos by Jean-Pierre Leloir. I've never heard of him but some great pictures for sure.

Wondering if anyone has heard the vinyl versions and if they are worth picking up. I must admit I prefer to have original cover art. So unless they are very good vinyl I would likely stay away from them.

Jazz Images – The Jean-Pierre Leloir Collection

bluejimbop likes this.
  2. Nubben

Nubben Well-Known Member

Bump on this one!

3. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Can't speak in general terms, but I acquired a copy of Duke Ellington "Festival Season" on this label just recently. Sonically, not even close to well famed Columbia 6eye. No swinging excitement here. Veiled and dull affair.
    Probably a cd transfer? Not suprising, as most of these European labels use recordings, that are in public domain (according to EU laws). No master tapes here for sure. Packaging and pressing is excellent though. Dead quiet, flat and heavy slab of plastic. Nice cover photo. Probably done to get around the copyright on the original Columbia cover.
    Get only if cheap, or you appreciate the photography.

Regards

4. Nubben

Nubben Well-Known Member

Thanks DrZhivago!

DrZhivago likes this.
  5. Ken.e.

Thanks I was afraid to get them for that very reason. I'm not aware of the EU laws on music becoming public domain. Is that why see so many older jazz records being released in different packaging and multiple records in an inexpensive package?

6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've seen CDs locally on this label and for blues and jazz. I was also wondering if they were issued under public domain. If so what sources might they be using to master these. I can't imagine they would have access to the original tapes. Do I assume these are digital copies or needle drops?

7. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

Looking for a bit of help from jazz experts. I saw an album (vinyl) by Miles Davis called 'New York Conception' (2013) it's £7.99 on Amazon same price in HMV. There is a CD along with the vinyl. The album is on Birdland label. £7.99 seems too good to be true. Any info on this would be appreciated.

My other question is about John Coltrane's album 'A Love Supreme' I saw the vinyl edition (2014) on Amazon for £15 it is on a label called Import Music Service. Any thoughts on this? Andy

8. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I have the same question (essentially) as mwheelerk (i.e. probable sources, but, most importantly, Sound Quality) but I'm specifically curious about the "Chet Baker Quartet in Paris" disc in this series.

The only details on the back of the mini-sleeve cover is that they were released in 2016... and Made in the EU... and are "24 bit mastered."

Chet Baker: Chet in Paris - Jazz Images - Jazz Messengers

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

As a general rule, I never buy ANYTHING on these no-name Euro labels. Most are public domain outfits pressing up CD rips either on LP or CD. The labels often change their names and new ones are popping up all the time. Alternate or edited cover art is a dead giveaway. Lots of garbage hitting the market these days, even through "legit" channels so you can't be too careful. The current vinyl trend only encourages these people.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

24 bit mastered just means the CD rip they stole was 24 bit mastered. Then they sent those files off to GZ or whomever is making all these records.

11. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

How can a no name label issue recordings like "Kind Of Blue" and "Giant Steps" when the masters are owned by Sony/BMG and Warners? Isn't that illegal?

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In the U.S. yes. A label would need to pay a licensing fee. However, in Europe things go into the public domain earlier than they do in the U.S. Of course, these companies knowingly produce this crap for sale all over the world (especially to a large market like America) and no one is really doing much to stop the flow of product. Lax enforcement and uninformed customers (end consumers and sometimes record shops) are why this stuff persists.

Ken.e. likes this.
  13. Christoefur

Christoefur New Member

I wrote to the company asking about the source material and all I got was this response:

The sources of the masters are High Resolution Digital files that gives the optimum sound quality. All the production has been manufactured in Europe.

14. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Just bought Art Blakey's Moanin' and The Atomic Mr. Basie. I haven't listened to the Basie yet, so I'll just chirp in here with the Blakey.
    First, I don't have either of these albums on any other vinyl editions, so I'll be comparing them to the cd's, and on their own.
    The packaging is excellent. The cardboard used seems to be a little lighter than what we're used to for a modern pressing - to me, that's a plus. The gatefold is a plus, but not a must.
    The pressing is what surprised me - flat and quiet without a single ''tick'' anywhere, and visually clean. Granted, I'm only reviewing one, but still, it's a good start.
    There's no mention anywhere on the provenence of the masters, but rather than speculate on what I don't know, I'll just take things as they are:
    My Blue Note cd is in mono and sounds excellent - though I've always felt that it was too ''loud'' for Jazz. The new vinyl is in stereo and cut much lower in volume, with huge dynamics especially during the snare rolls. The highs are also a tad smoother and easier to listen to, but this might be due to my actual cd player, who knows.
    Another curious difference is the warm-up and talking at the beginning of the disc. This is not on the vinyl.
    While I'm sure the very first pressing of this album may (or may not) sound better, this new reissue at $16CAD is an outstanding bargain. If the Basie proves to be just as successful, I'll definitely be getting some of the other titles from this series - even if it's a title I'm not familiar with, just for the sake of discovering something new.

fmfxray373, Record Rotator and Ken.e. like this.
  15. Ken.e.

Let us know you thoughts on Basie, I have held off picking any of these up.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  16. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Just listened to the Atomic Mr. Basie in its entirety. Contrary to the Blakey above, it sounds nearly identical to my Roulette cd. The highs - especially the brass fortissimo - sound a bit smoother on the LP, with more depth, but it's so subtle that I can probably attribute it to the differences between the cd player and turntable - maybe even the interconnects ;)
    They are both in mono. The record has one of the five bonus tracks included on the cd that isn't on the original (The Late Late Show).
    Again, the packaging and the pressing are first rate.
    If you already have the cd, it may not be worth your while to get this, but if you don't, I can only recommend it highly - especially at this price. The Blakey (above) is much better than the cd I have, so it's definitely a great addition. I just picked up an Evans and a Getz that I don't have :p

Record Rotator and Ken.e. like this.
  17. dww147

dww147 New Member

So excited to find this thread. I recently picked up a copy of Thelonius Monk's "Monk's Music" from Jazz Images (reference). I have a very basic setup which means that I don't get the best dynamic ranges, but it also means that bad pressing sound really bad on my dinky turntable. This pressing was very clean and quality with no warps. It's the quietest album in my collection, to the point that first listen I didn't realize the one track has a sudden stop in the music (on purpose), and I thought my turntable stopped or speakers shut off. I mean quiet! Again not the best ranges on my setup, but from what I could hear was really well above 'acceptable'. I have a lot of hip-hop and pop albums from 2000s and some of those are terrible. This is not the case here. All around a very enjoyable listen, and probably my favorite Jazz album ATM.

A lot has been commented about the Jazz Images "label". It's not really a label but a series or collection, specifically the Jean-Pierre Leloir Collection. Unbeknownst to me, Leloir is considered one of the most important jazz photographers of the french scene. He passed away recently and this collection encompasses 100 albums that would have been contemporary to his career. Those 'alternative' album covers? That's HIS photography. Get it? Jazz IMAGES; Leloir Collection; His photography. So in this light, Jazz Images isn't some cheap knock off label, but a collection with serious thought behind it. This is evident in the quality of pressing and frankly the packaging. The photos are great, the graphic design is great, and the quality of gatefold material is great. My only knock is that considering the purpose behind this series (celebrating the music of 50s/60s jazz and the art of Leloir), it'd be cool if each album had a little booklet inside with more of his photos.

As for the masters, I would believe that these are pressed off CD masters. It sounds like it. Also consider that this collection is also available on CD, plus it seems that European pressings tend to lean on whatever master is easiest to get. So for an intense audiophile who wouldn't shrink from paying 80-100 dollars for a vintage Blue Note, maybe they could complain. But for someone putting together a collection to just enjoy, the quality is great and it's part of a larger series so you can put 100 albums together that are MEANT to be together.

Here's the website to learn more. I can tell you I'm looking to add from this series. For 15 bucks a pop, it'll look great put together and will sound really good. LPs – Jazz Images

18. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I'm glad you are enjoying them! Since my first post, I'm up to about seven or eight of them, and I have this to say: this is by far the best ratio of consecutive non-returns of any vinyl I have bought since 2005. All of them are pristinely pressed, like you mentioned. Beatles stereo, 1 in two had to be returned. Pink Floyd reissues, 1 in 4. Led Zeppelin, 1 in 3, etc. To have companies charge $25 for bad pressings while this one is $16 a record, makes you think. Incidentally, I'm not sure these are cd masters. They're not analogue, but I suspect it's a different source than simply a cd master. Regardless, it's a great way to start, or just to add to a collection.

19. Ken.e.

I just bought Brilliant Corners by Monk to tryout what sounds like some good pressings

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  20. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

Just bought the Getz / Byrd Jazz Samba album. Wonderful pressing again, flat and quiet. The sound is clear and warm, much better than my current CD editions. Do not hesitate to let that "elevator music" takes you to heaven.

Record Rotator and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  21. Northa40

Northa40 Well-Known Member

I just purchased the Miles Davis, Kind of Blue in this series. Just waiting for my new Goldring 2200 to arrive, once it is I will give my audio impressions. But just this note, the packaging is very good, while not the original, it is very good with a nice lined paper sleeve. The vinyl looks impressive, in that it is completely flat and free of defects. I have many LP's that you can see bits and dips in the vinyl. I hop the sound quality is there. Will update as soon as I can.

22. Ken.e.

I enjoy mine but don't have a comparative Brilliant Corners sounds great. I have two Kind of Blue, one is from the 50th anniversary box set on blue vinyl and one is an old Columbia one from the early 80's. How was the sound?

23. Northa40

Northa40 Well-Known Member

Last night I put on a new Goldring 2200 so maybe not fair to comment just yet, but, I will give my first impressions. As I said yesterday packaging is great and the record sleeve is good, this version has the gate fold which was a nice touch, now for the sound quality. This is a stereo remix which I am not a huge fan of, they always seem to be over done, meaning there isn't a good balance of sound its either all left or right channel and not mixed well, I find this is the case here. The vinyl is very quiet, I wish all my vinyl sounded like this, there is the odd snap but it is minimal. The sound is good not the best or the most dynamic I have heard but still very enjoyable and I have other vinyl that isn't this good. Considering that is was recorded in the late 50's, this might be as good as you're going to get, microphones and magnetic tape got much better in the 70"s. All in all this $10.00 yes $10.00 CDN, bought at a record show in London Ontario, well spent. Am I a converted Jazz fan yet? Not sure, but for $10.00, I will be adding to the collection. Personally, you should not fear this series of recordings, they will make a nice addition to a collection.

24. opieandy

opieandy MusicIsLife

That was a SUPER helpful post. I'm more of a nostalgic than an audiophile. Love jazz but a novice and really know not much about it technically. Love vinyl, love the tactile and interactive nature of it. Prefer original covers and liner notes. Love colored vinyl. BUT, also love the 180g+ pressings. I'm always on Discogs trying to figure out all of these aspects as many sellers' listings (and Amazon in particular, ugh) don't have the info. Anyway, this info is interesting and helpful. Thanks for posting.

25. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.