JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Well then that would apply to any $4o00 pair of speakers. .

Id need to listen first before saying if they are worth the price or not.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

exactly!

Mazzy likes this.
  3. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

No, I know you were posting gibberish.

Orrin Porter Rockwell likes this.
  4. Tauren04

Tauren04 Well-Known Member

I just posted what Greg Timbers said about JBL when Harmon unceremoniously fired him, where their products are being made, and my opinion about them. How is that false/gibberish :biglaugh:?!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Ghostworld likes this.
  5. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Weren't JBL's considered better for rock music?

Anyway, even though he liked Beethoven, they would have looked fantastic in Alex's bedroom.
    [​IMG]

6. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

^Proper flat that.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  7. Irisaurus Rex

Irisaurus Rex Forum Resident

Jbl Syntheis! Best speaker in the world imho :)

8. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

jamesmaya, gillcup, clhboa and 2 others like this.
  9. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Yes, they are owned by Samsung. And yes, Samsung does make refrigerators and washing machines. They also make buildings, insurance, constructions companies, weapons, medical equipment, semiconductors, telecomm equipment, financial services, ships etc etc etc. They make a lot of things.

They also make a LOT of displays. And most displays need sound. It seems pretty obvious why they would invest in a company like JBL/Harman. I think we'll see a lot more of JBL before we see less of it. Not talking about it being better or worse, just talking the idea of JBL being "finished." I think if anything it's life has been ensured based on the Samsung acquisition.

Monty12 likes this.
  10. Tauren04

I will always make an exception when companies that buy certain brands don’t change much or anything at all, while still maintaining their known proud traditions, manufacturing techniques, and innovative designs, as well as being “made in the USA”.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  11. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

According to an earlier post in this thread (post #74) they are 'Designed and Engineered in USA' and 'Made in Indonesia'.

displayname and Mazzy like this.
  12. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

+1

Monty12 likes this.
  13. Tauren04

Lol +1 his comment all you want, but just remember that my quote came from Greg Timbers, a former employee at JBL who, is well known [by the JBL community] for his speaker designs, and was “unceremoniously separated from employment by Harman following a 90 second explanation”.

But what the hell do I know; I’m just a spectator in all this :-popcorn:.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  14. Orrin Porter Rockwell

Orrin Porter Rockwell Well-Known Member

"What the hell do I know?"

How about the definition of "disgruntled"? :biglaugh:

15. Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I might also get pissy at the company who pushed me out like that too. But I don’t know the reality of what’s going on there.

displayname likes this.
  16. Tauren04

I’m not disgruntled, just appalled at some of the comments here. As you were.

17. I think he was referring to the fired jbl employee (not you) possibly being disgruntled It’s not uncommon.

18. Tauren04

Oh, yeah I’m sure Greg Timbers was very upset. I would be too!

Mazzy likes this.
  19. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

...and the facilities that Harman Luxury brands are designed and tested are some of the most advanced in the world...the facilities that JBL and Revel models are designed and tested.

20. Orrin Porter Rockwell

Orrin Porter Rockwell Well-Known Member

Right!

I was referring to Greg Timbers, not you. Perhaps my post was too easily misunderstood:sigh:

I've been employed in a management position at two different companies that were bought out by even larger ones. I was almost immediately promoted by one, and almost immediately fired by the other. The old "we're looking to go in a different direction" reason. No reason for me to be pissed, just move on.

Tauren04 likes this.
  21. Irisaurus Rex

New JBL in the house :laugh::laugh::laugh:

[​IMG]

Monty12, tom1040, bajaed and 4 others like this.
  22. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

That blue on the JBL's would go nicely with the subtle blue of the Prima Luna Amps! Very nice!

23. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I went to big event at my local high end audio store and they happened to have a pair of the JBL L100 playing.

[​IMG]

The good news is that I got to hear them in person. The bad news is that the conditions weren't ideal. I didn't have control of the music being played and I found the volume a bit loud. Because all the music being played was unfamiliar it was hard to judge if the negatives were due to the music selection or not. Also the acoustics in the room weren't ideal. My overall impression was that they sounded OK and warranted a more serious evaluation with music I'm familiar with. Still I can't imagine them replacing my current main speakers, Ariel Acoustics 7T's. I can possibly see them being used for more casual listening in my family room.

The main negative I heard was some harshness in the higher frequencies. But again, this might be due to the way the music was mastered and loudness of the demo.

Bananas&blow and Shawn like this.
  24. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Congrats! I would be delighted to hear from you about how they sound, sooner or later.

Monty12 and Irisaurus Rex like this.
  25. Irisaurus Rex

Here's a brief impression:

Compared to the Harbeth 30.2, the JBL are more natural and sweet, the mids hang in the air with palpable intensity... I feel like I can reach out and touch the singer. The soundstage is supremely wide, and imaged. I actually have never heard a speaker image this well... it's simply divine. I'm completely sold on the JBL waveguide. I think this is the best speaker I've ever owned and it is certainly a big step up from the Harbeth. It can play louder, it can pull out more detail from the recording, the soundstage is MUCH wider, imaging is MUCH better.

I hate to say it but the JBL make the Harbeths sound like toys. Keep in mind I have never heard the SHL5, or the 40.2 in my room, nor would I want to, as I purchased the JBL with the intention to shove them against my front walls. The bigger Harbeths would simply not work like that.