JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Get the Yamaha AS / CDS 2100 for a complete vintage (re)feel.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Everything looks good except the 9.2 channel AVR. Not a good match with the JBLs.

3. Orrin Porter Rockwell

Orrin Porter Rockwell Well-Known Member

I've never heard these particular Wharfdale's but somehow I suspect that their sound might be diametrically opposed to the sound of an L100 ;)

4. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, the C-7000R is a CD player with a 1 yr warranty. That's not a lot of warranty for $1.5K.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  5. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just hold on, I hear they’re bringing It back in a year or two as a electric vehicle.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The pricing of the speakers reminds me of the curse of the SL 1200 return: Let’s target old guys with lots spare cash who feel nostalgic and desperately want to feel young.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

For 4K I'd much rather go with a pair of these Klipschs RF-7 III :

[​IMG]upload photos

No contest !!

unclefred likes this.
  9. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

For less than 4k you can have these Klipsch KI-396, and they're so much better:
    [​IMG]

10. The Pinhead

Impressive !

11. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I just read your post as Pinhead.

It made me laugh.

That’s all I have to add.

12. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I think the RF-7iii is going to go a few HZ deeper in bass than the KI-396. As far as I know it has the deepest bass of any Klipsch except for the subwoofers.

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Yeah, the 396 goes 3db down at around 50 hz then drops sharply. I've heard they sound great but a robust sub is needed.

14. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

They'll go a few Hz higher too, but that's not really why one would buy a KI-396. I've owned the RF-7II (not the III) as well as about 12 other Klipsch models over the past 22 years.

The quality of the mids coming out of the K-510 horn on the KI-396 is just amazing. There's also something to having a 15" woofer (or even 12" woofer) reproducing the bass. The Cornwall and the Forte III are my other two favorite Klipsch models.

You'll get some room gain (I have solid bass down to 38hz in mine) and remember, the published RF7 measurements are in-room and KI-396 are anechoic because they're in the pro lineup.

unclefred and The Pinhead like this.
  15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Interesting! Looks like Samsung may start to do something big with its Harman International acquisition from last year. As many of us should know, Harman owns JBL, Studer, Levinson and a bunch of stellar names in audio. Perhaps some of the audio technologies will go into its Galaxy smartphones, tablets and speakers that can compete with Echo and HomePod?

displayname likes this.
  16. The Pinhead

Well I had no clue those speakers existed. They do look impressive. Glad I made you laugh, whatever the reason was.

17. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

New JBL L100 for $4000.

One can purchase 5 pairs of mint condition and restored JBL L100 speakers for the same amount of money....

I think the new speakers may sound better than the original version. However, are the new speakers 5x better ?

Only the buyer can answer that question.

18. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Current version is the 4312SE. Regardless. I wonder if someone will compare the 4312SE to the new L100 and report their findings ? Would be interesting.

19. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Good point about the anechoic measurements. Do you corner load yours?

20. coopmv

Strongly :agree:

21. coopmv

Are there other speakers as notorious as the Klipschs (LaScala, Cornwall and Klipschorn) big boxes for demanding to be corner-loaded?

22. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Yes. Audionote

23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Looks good cept the AVR.

24. Then why buy any new $4000 over a used $700 one ?

Until we hear this New version, we don’t know if it’s worth the price ( again like any other set of speakers ).

But the new version it totally different than the original aside from the exterior looks.

25. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

No, I don't really have suitable corners in my listening room. I have them about 18" off the back wall about 8' away from each other and my listening position about about 11 feet back.

unclefred likes this.