Jeff Beck Group - "Rough & Ready" and the "Orange" S/T CD Reissues By Iconoclassic 5/26 & 7/28

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsayers, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Nice!...just thinking about this album the other day...Mucho El Becko with the live album out plus cd set from Ronnie Scott's soon too!

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I really hope Iconoclassic considers remastering Truth (mono mix) and Beck-Ola.

clhboa likes this.
  3. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

do you not like the expanded sets of those two albums out a few years ago?

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I wasn't aware of those. Are they any good?

5. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Truth is remastered by Peter Mew, as is the European CD of Beck-Ola (the US CD of the latter was done by Vic Anesini).
    It may be Peter Mew, but it's good Peter Mew. He's usually pretty decent when he's making the decisions...it's when the suits/idiots tell him to twist that No-Noise knob clockwise that we get stuff like Aqualung.
    These might have a little noise reduction...but there's not any pumping/wateriness or anything of that sort, so I doubt it. They are pretty low-fi to begin with, so they're never really gonna sound too great... The US version of Beck-Ola is likely from US copy tapes, and as such has a slight haze over everything. The UK CD might have some noise reduction (but again, I doubt it), so do your own research.

Anyway, they have some great bonus tracks, detailed booklets, and don't sound half bad. I enjoy them.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  6. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Hopefully the new essay will tell me why `Raynes Park Blues' was re-titled
    `Max's Tune'.

maxnix and Larry Geller like this.
  7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It's great on CD as well

8. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Audio Fidelity released it on CD?

9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm pumped about Rough and Ready coming out.

I have very few "must haves" missing in my CD collection at this point, but this is definitely one of them.

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The "orange album" was my introduction to Jeff Beck so it will always have a special place in my rock and roll heart as well as Rough And Ready. It was not long afterwards that I would discover Truth and Beck-ola via a twofer which I really like as well but the second Jeff Beck Group is my personal favorite of the two even though it's only by a hair.
    Both bands were good in their own way. The second group had a little more finesse or a little more swing/jazz element
    that I really like.

I thought I still had a cd of Rough And Ready but I must have traded it off. So maybe I do need this reissue. :D

pscreed likes this.
  11. glea

glea Forum Resident

Shame there isnt any bonus material. There is the BBC In Concert, but that isn't a particularly exceptional gig. They play fine, but sound like they are doing a job. They were amazing at Winterland in 71

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'd like to have seen that band. Max Middleton's keyboards was the lightness to balance the heavy of Jeff. Not that he was light on contributions of course.

Speaking of Max, I am reminded of the band Hummingbird he formed with fellow bandmate Bobby Tench. I heard some of the music when it was fresh but I don't know if it has aged well. I know I haven't. :D I'm sure it's on youtube.

13. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I've got two Hummingbird albums, and I liked them back in the day. One of them featured a hot Japanese (?) guitarist whose name I can't recall right now, and that's the one I preferred. I also saw them play at the student union of my college. It was a good show. I've still got the LPs - I should give them a spin soon.

Ah, here they are... The earlier one is called, "We Can't Go On Meeting Like This". It features Bernie Holland on guitar, though Tench plays some, too. The later one is called "Diamond Nights" and features Robert Ahwai on guitar. The drummer on both is Bernard Purdie, so you know it's funkier and lighter and doesn't have the hard rock kick that Cozy Powell provided. A highlight of the later album is their version of "Led Boots", which I liked better than Beck's.

Six String likes this.
  14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting.... Thread Starter

Max also did some great work with Chris Rea.

Comet01 likes this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I recall reading that the original LP credited Beck in error for writing the song and Middleton had it changed, and in the process changed the title too.

Daryl M likes this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

IIRC, it was due to a publishing dispute between Middleton and Beck 's management.

Daryl M likes this.
  17. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

You're right - I just checked my original LP, and "Raynes Park Blues" is, indeed credited to Beck, not Middleton.

I'm a little skeptical that it was an "error". Jeff Beck is not really known as a composer or songwriter, and yet he suddenly claims author credit for this entire album? And Rough and Ready is one of the more song-oriented albums of his career, and those songs are IMO of an unusually high caliber. It all seems suspicious to me.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Comet01 and 911s55 like this.
  18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I don't have links but if you do a search you'll find the entire credit arrangements for RAR to be dodgy at best. The base songs were composed while Beck's band was in transition, and are most likely attributable to then-vocalist Alex Ligertwood (later with Santana). Either the label or management wanted AL out for whatever reason, but the songs remained and were reworked, and attributed to Beck. Exactly who was responsible for that is unclear. Caught up in that mess was Max's Tune written by Middleton, which wasn't dealt with, or maybe just ignored, until years later.

Comet01 likes this.
  19. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

No

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think all publishing for Jeff Beck projects from that period went through Beck's management/Ernest Chapman, and was subsequently supposed to be distributed from Equator. Clearly, it was another controversial scenario in the line of many others from that era where managers controlled publishing revenues, often for the benefit of the star client and manager (or in some instances, mostly for the benefit of the manager). Middleton apparently made an issue out of it and received his credit. I doubt Beck was aware of the specifics and details; it doesn't appear there was any personal animosity between Beck and Middleton over the issue because they continued to work together.

Comet01, Atmospheric and gd0 like this.
  21. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I was just searching around, and I found a claim (with no supporting evidence, though) that much of the writing on R&R was actually done by bassist Clive Chaman. I could believe that, as Chaman was author or co-author of a good chunk of the songs on the two Hummingbird albums I have.

Comet01 likes this.
  22. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The Quad version? Yikes! You're hard core! That's the album I always mention when I talk about those old quad records. Strange placement of instruments, overactive rear channels, and some added music you will never hear on any stereo version. For some reason I never have been able to get rid of mine. :)

23. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Deep Purple's "Machine Head" is another personal favorite. Some added guitar in "Lazy" that is way cool.
    I don't listen on a quad system. I listen on my old Marantz stereo and Denon turntable.

ti-triodes likes this.
  24. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

No brainer. I'm in.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

25. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

My only copy is the one that came with the "Original Album Classics" five cd box. This has always been one of my favorites of his work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.