Jeff Beck "Truth" SACD Is Coming From Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shepherdfan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This discussion of the benefits of hybrid vs. SACD only or redbook should really have a thread of it's own. Let's get Beck on topic please :D

Myke, supermd, shepherdfan and 2 others like this.
  2. Indeed, until Steve's version's version this was the best version IMHO digitally. Some subtle differences between the two.

So...I was excited to listen to "Truth" this morning. The SACD layer sounds great with some nice subtle differences from previous versions.

moops likes this.
  3. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Is this expected to sell out? How many were made? I was planning on waiting until after the SHF giveaway before ordering it. Maybe I shouldn't wait. :shrug:

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  4. Indeed, I like having both. If my SACD player should die once, I'd like the option to listen to stuff without it (since my 4K player also plays CDs).

I've bought this album four times over the years and this is the sweetest version I've heard but I will be keeping Peter Mew's mastering for the bonus tracks. For my go to versions,the AF has with won the title.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Mango64 likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think you should be fine but Truth could be a big seller and sell out quickly. I jumped on the Amazon deal as it is a good price with two day shipping. Importcds was less but back ordered. There have been a few AF SACDs that sell out quickly. One that comes to mind is The Best of The Doors SACD which is now hard to find and not cheap.

6. I've always had a preference for the Beck-Stewart-Wood version over other versions of the JBG. My imaginary great double bill would have been The Jeff Beck Group with the Hagar version of Montrose.

Steve Litos likes this.
  7. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Audio Fidelity hybrid SACD Truth #1000 arrived today from Amazon.

Steve did yet another spectacular job. So much life and presence compared to what I'm used to hearing on the Mew CD.

The louder I play it, the better it sounds!

Mango64 and James RD like this.
  8. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Nice, but my imaginary incredible triple bill of 1968 would of been The Yardbirds with Jimmy Page, The Jeff Beck Group, and Cream. :)

9. John D.

John D. Senior Member

WOW, just got thru spinning this one #1426. I've always been partial to this LP from it's inception. For me, this is the best SACD reissue so far this year. :edthumbs:

ashlee5 and bruce2 like this.
  10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I just got this today. I was impressed by Ron Wood's bass playing. Surprised he agreed to do it at all....he's a wonderful guitarist

11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

He's an excellent guitarist, but I think he could have had a career as a bassist too, if he wanted to.

Cousin It likes this.
  12. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

For those asking earlier, both the redbook and SACD layers sound great though SACD is the king. VERY glad I picked up this disc.

The Ole' Rocker, ashlee5, dee and 2 others like this.
  13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

That's is no fair comparison!

The Pastmaster CD is the best way to compare the SACD. The SACD is slightly better... better midrange.

My ranking

SACD 7,5/10
    Pastmaster 7/10
    EMI/Capitol 6/10

Lucidae and bluesfan like this.
  14. gohabs66

gohabs66 Member

Agreed

Mango64 likes this.
  15. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Amazon just delivered my Jeff Beck Truth SACD. I had time to play the first track Shapes Of Things on my Denon player. Cranked it up and it sounded glorious. Have to get back to it later as seven hours of Red Zone just started. Go Birds

16. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Is Beck's Bolero the usual fake stereo version without the backwards coda?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  17. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

In addition to decent sound it'll be great to listen to this without having to hawk the remote control to stop Love Is Blue from hitting the speakers, like dropping one's hand to hide an inconveniently-placed ketchup stain when a pretty girl strolls up.

18. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Love is Blue was a bonus track from the 2006 remaster which there are no bonus tracks included on this new release.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  19. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Any word if this is coming out on vinyl?

20. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

foobar2000 1.3.7 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2017-12-11 20:56:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Jeff Beck / Truth (Audio Fidelity)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -1.37 dB -14.84 dB 3:20 ?-01 Shapes Of Things
    DR10 -0.71 dB -15.14 dB 4:44 ?-02 Let Me Love You
    DR10 -2.62 dB -16.27 dB 4:43 ?-03 Morning Dew
    DR10 -2.31 dB -14.41 dB 2:32 ?-04 You Shook Me
    DR11 -1.67 dB -17.25 dB 4:00 ?-05 Ol' Man River
    DR12 -7.19 dB -23.22 dB 1:50 ?-06 Greensleeves
    DR10 0.00 dB -13.38 dB 4:15 ?-07 Rock My Plimsoul
    DR10 -0.34 dB -11.76 dB 2:55 ?-08 Beck's Bolero
    DR12 -0.19 dB -15.14 dB 7:34 ?-09 Blues De Luxe
    DR10 -1.16 dB -13.35 dB 4:53 ?-10 I Ain't Superstitious

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1411 kbps
    Codec: PCM
    ================================================================================

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t know the actual answer, but very few Audio Fidelity discs have sold out the entire limit quickly.

5,000 - which is the usual limit - is actually a decent seller for normal physical releases these days, let alone a moderately pricey SACD of a 50 yr old catalog release which was never a huge seller to begin with (nothing against the album - I personally like it and Jeff Beck quite a bit).

If anything, assuming that AF didn’t press the entire allowable quantity in the first run, I’d speculate the bigger issue might be that it doesn’t generate enough retail re-orders to justify a 2nd press run.

22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yeah, a 6 page thread, which includes the most likely customers, should give an indication that this title won't be hard to get for a while. People were even freaking out in the Yes - Close to the Edge marathon. Nobody who wanted it got shut out. Then many if them migrated to the Steven Wilson mix immediately after.

23. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

This SACD blows away every other version of "Truth" that I've heard. I have two different vinyl pressings and three different previous digital masterings. This leaves them all in the dust.

It takes a lot to stun me but the sound on this disc is staggeringly good. Thank you to Steve and to Audio Fidelity for being true to "Truth."

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What if the initial run sells out and AF decides to not do another run then what? If one is interested in the Truth SACD I'd recommend buying it now. Chances are the SACD could be plentiful but it could also not be so why take the chance. I listened to the SACD again yesterday and it sounds excellent!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Tuco likes this.
  25. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Got copies on back order at ImportCDs. Sure hope they finally come back in stock.