Jeff Buckley Fans Unite!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by atl1, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Man I miss this guy. Beautiful in every way possible. Self taught singer who excelled immensely in his short career. Personally I believe Jeff was one of the greatest singers (my favorite) and his technical ability was unmatched for someone in his position. Everything he touched was gripping and inspiring. Grace is an all time classic and the live videos/recordings (although sparse) we have are a treasure, as he was always better live. Appreciate this legend!

here's one gem

2. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Agreed. I love that version of WWYS, shame it wasn't included on Grace Around The World.

MAYBEIMAMAZED and barnaby like this.
  3. atl1

great song

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  4. atl1

have any fave live performances?

5. George P

George P Notable Member

6. atl1

his best cover? I really like his take on Night Flight and The Way Young Lovers Do as well as the always killer Kick out the Jams

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Well, let's say it's my favorite cover of his. I haven't heard him do many, but that one is really special.

8. heatherly

It'd probably be a tie between his version of Just Like A Woman or the version of Hallelujah on Mystery White Boy. I've got to many live faves!

9. atl1

Know there are more jb fans out there....

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Dream Brother remains a favorite of mine.

11. spiral sea

spiral sea Well-Known Member

I used to trade live recordings untill 2004 and have 8 Jeff Buckley shows in my collection. my favorite would be the Feb-11-1995 Bataclan ,Paris show. good performance and outstanding sound quality.

12. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Jeff Buckley fans might very well be interested in my friend Gary Lucas' recent book about his collaboration with Buckley; Gary is in the midst of a promo tour for the book and has released an album of previously-unreleased live and demo versions of his work with JB.

http://garylucas.com/www/tbg/

heatherly likes this.
  13. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I just got the Sony Legacy of Grace mastered by Kevin Gray yesterday. Wow! It was like hearing the album for the the first time; it absolutely blew me away. Man, I knew he could sing but he really was unreal. Like the OP said, "inspiring."

barnaby and heatherly like this.
  14. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Kevin Gray remastered Grace???

15. George P

George P Notable Member

cuff likes this.
  16. atl1

Bump

17. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I didn't even know this existed. Gotta pick this up soon!

18. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

There is also a SACD expected soon by ORG. I'm hoping it is mastered by Kevin Gray too.

19. heatherly

Another fave, Jewel Box (or Song 21) a few months before his passing....

dee likes this.
  20. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

is this the HQ-180, RTI version? I don't know if it is, but my Sony Legacy reissue is very airy and resolving but I must admit i find it a tad thin and a little sibilant in places. And it's quite noisy in places.

21. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Yes, that's the one. Mmm, I found it to have some very nice bottom end (I was coming from only having an Mp3 version admittedly), but on second listen, yes, there is definitely some distortion in places. Crap. So of the two new lps I've acquired the last week, Buckley and Drake, Five Leaves Left, both have unacceptable pressing distortion. This is getting old.

22. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

I have great respect for Jeff Buckley. He's got a few copycats here and there but he was truly one of a kind.

D.B. and heatherly like this.
  23. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

it's not a complete disaster imo, i've grown to like this pressing over the few years I've had it, and my system is in flux at the moment (loading/cables, etc). It's on the edge in places would be a good description. I think I read somewhere that the original pressing had sibilance issues and that the RTI was the best version to go for, I could be mistaken though.

You're not alone - I've had some disappointing purchases last couple of weeks.

24. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

By the way, do you think people actually usually know that he is the one responsible for that "Hallelujah" fame that has spread worlwide for the past 10 years? It seems like when people cover that particular song, they actually cover (or copy mainly) his version of the song.

25. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Here is one of my heartbreaking very favourites. (That live version is new to me!)

heatherly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.