Jeff Buckley Fans Unite!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by atl1, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

favorite live performances from jeff??

2. crazy.crow

crazy.crow Forum Resident

It's probably gonna seem pretty basic to hardcore Jeff Buckley fans, but I always loved that one.

3. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

anyone else

4. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

i like that acoustic Farewell Angelina he did at some FM concert. I met him once....shared one thing with his dad, sadly. i like the stuff he recorded with Verlaine more than Grace.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What's the value of a JB autograph?

My local record store just acquired a signed cd single from an industry/label guy(came with a stack of backstage passes/tickets etc..) and a couple of us were stumped on pricing.

IMO, it's nicer than the poster that went for $300+ on popsike and that the only legit looking one listed.

6. Ken Viola

Ken Viola Forum Resident

Jeff solo on Electric at Count Basie Theater in Red Bank NJ opening for Richie Sambora 1991. He did an 'Appalachian Love Song'....any idea of the name? I was also Backstage at St. Ann's tribute to Tim. Jeff was a crackling bundle of energy; asking Everyone 'did you know my Father?'

keyXVII and D.B. like this.
  7. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

there is some awful movie about jeff and the st anns gig with the guy from Capt Beefheart who later tried to form god and monsters. best thing jeff did was get loose from that guy.
    i have an item autographed by him but its signed to me so its probably not worth much.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

We saw him once, at Metro in Chicago. A good friend had been after us to see him based on his performances at the Green Mill - which is tiny. (You might recognize the place from the film High Fidelity - it's the quiet bar the lead character visits to drink.)

9. Jeff saw my band play in NYC at Brownies in the late 90's, and told us he liked our Kazoo song and we spent the evening hanging out with him and Lenny Kaye and a lady friend of Jeff's.

During our intial meeting at the bar of the club Jeff was so drunk that he spent a good twenty minutes continuously stepping on my foot!

Before that, I saw him opening for Juliana Hatfield in Toronto in '95..Great show.

DLeet and heatherly like this.
  10. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Jeff's Glastonbury needs to be released, shame it wasn't included on the "Grace Around The World" DVD.

11. heatherly

Yeah, Gary Lucas is the guy. Great guitar player but could not offer Jeff more as the tracks on the "Songs To No One" disc indicate. He does a fantastic job on the song "Grace" fwiw.

12. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

he tried to glom onto him. soon as he was able he got loose. i like the stuff he recorded with Verlaine but picking him to produce was also a big mistake. someone who thinks too much shouldnt get someone who thinks too much to produce. Verlaine started slamming on the drummer which carried on to the live show and everything kinda fell apart.

13. heatherly

I love the Verlaine stuff but if he wanted to break through commercially he needed a team like Lillywhite/Eno or Butch Vig. And as good as some of the songs are no way could they be considered commercial which is why he had no choice but to hook up with Andy Wallace again before his death.

And Eric Eidel (the drummer Verlaine picked on) was a hack and not on the level of the rest of the guys and nowhere near Matt Johnson. It's like if Ringo was replaced by Pete Best.

14. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

he never wanted to break thru commercially. he didnt really know what he wanted. Jeff in a room with Lillywhite and or Eno (what does he do anyways) would have been a clusterfock for the ages.

15. heatherly

He wouldn't have busted his hump doing MTV, radio and record store signings if he didn't want to break thru commercially. He could've signed on to a smaller indie label for less money and been successful that way but he wanted the big budgets and commercial exposure Columbia could provide.

He just wanted to do it on his own terms and that really almost never works, everyone has pander to the lowest common denominator at some point.

16. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

And Gary Lucas doesn an amazing job on Mojo Pin…I don't think that song would be the same without his playing.

DLeet likes this.
  17. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Or indeed his songwriting.

18. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

My fave show is the one at Südbahnhof... flawless. Some special vibe there. Shame though that the last song cuts off way too early.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

She was friends with him and tells a couple stories in her book. Including the NYC show on that tour where she hid in the dressing room while her opening act got a backstage visit from Paul McCartney.

There's a Much music in-studio performance from Toronto that I've never seen surface. CBC Canada also has an interview shot in Vancouver that I only saw at the time. Terry David Mulligan also interviewed him in Vancouver that I haven't seen since. There's a bunch of Much clips in the DVD you mention, so the estate must be aware of those clips.

Personalized signatures are worth just as much as non-inscribed ones when it comes rare sought after public figures. There is some debate on this issue, but some collectors prefer them as hey have greater confidence that it's authentic.

20. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Great thread! I look forward to spending some time watching some of the rare footage put up here!
    Hopefully some of it gets to see an official release soon.

I'm enjoying reading about those here who saw him in concert or have some special memorabilia.

My favourite song of his is Lilac Wine. It gives me chills each time.

21. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

I just ordered his album Grace for myself and another copy to give someone else. I can't wait to see how it sounds on my sound system. I'm twenty years late to the party but I suppose it's never too late if you're alive to enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.