Jeff Gutt is Stone Temple Pilots’ new lead singer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Even though I'm somewhat open to another singer, it makes sense why you feel the way you do. We went so long with Scott and only Scott, and he really poured himself into those words, as did Layne, so it is harder to replace those guys and the replacements sing those words and hold the same weight. It's kind of like anybody other than Lennon singing songs like Mother. Yes you can sing it, but it won't hold that weight.

2. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

As a huge STP/Scott Weiland fan, I kind of hate that I don't hate "Meadow" or the STP classics with him on vocals. He's a very similar singer to Scott--not quite the same character to his voice, but as far as the basics go, I definitely understand the selection.

Lyrically though, wow, this guy leaves a lot to be desired.

Hep Alien, WilliamWes and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  3. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

It has some Adam Lambert + Queen feel.

4. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Would of or could of the Stones carried on if Jagger died or left?
    Could the Beatles truly reunite without John?

As for bands with multiple singers.
    The Beatles had 4 singers........The Eagles had about 10.............
    Just throwing a little sh!t gainst the wall..

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  5. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

again, STP fans who listen to the new stuff already know Weiland is gone. They already know it will not be the same. So I am not sure how that makes a difference that requires they stop using the old name. There's a piece missing in your analysis.

6. Hardy Melville

The obvious counter is Pink Floyd when Barrett left. Some other examples with multiple singers were Jefferson Airplane (Marty Balin was originally their main singer albeit in a band with multiple singers who traded places) and Grateful Dead (Pigpen was actually their main lead singer early on, but concededly was not at the time he died). There are other examples of course.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Pink Floyd really took a while to find their footing after Barrett, to me kind of an anomaly.
    That said, your point is correct, but so is mine. Jagger being replaced in the Stones would never work out. John Lennon couldn't be replaced in the Beatles. It will be up to the fans of STP if the new singer is accepted. I'm personally not interested much in the revival of 90s bands as a whole, but I'll take it case by case.

8. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

They shot themselves in the foot when they said it would be a nostalgia act. What singer in their right mind wants to sing Scott's lyrics night after night? Nothing against Scott but nobody wants to be thrown into his headspace.

Had they gone the original music route with an occasional Weiland classic thrown in this might have turned out different. Enjoy your Queen + Adam Lambert grunge style.

9. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Missing Scott.

Hep Alien and George P like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

It's the opposite, actually. From the Rolling Stone article:

Stone Temple Pilots Talk New Singer, Honoring Scott Weiland's Legacy

11. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

...and yet I watched even though it was obvious who was going to be picked from the get-go. I mean, really, did anyone actually believe they were going to pick a female or any of those other guys as their lead singer?

Good luck STP. You're gonna need it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

13. readr

readr Forum Resident

I'm just looking forward to the band making music again. I feel the same way with Velvet Revolver, if they ever did decide to do another record, I'd be interested. I'd petition for Lenny Kravitz, even if he didn't tour....just record.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Hardy Melville

Has anyone mentioned Alice in Chains? After Layne died they did eventually reappear with William Duvall, but of course in their case Jerry was already handling a big part of the vocal load before Layne died. Still, although I prefer their earlier work, stuff like Black was imo very good.

Hep Alien, Vinyl_Blues and johnny 99 like this.
  15. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I am a big fan of Weiland and think of him as one of the last great front men to emerge in the rock scene. However, I don't fault the surviving members for trying to continue with STP. Weiland had his demons which led to his demise and they should try to continue the STP legacy. Good luck to the new STP.

16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Having had most of the thoughts mentioned above. I had very little hope. After hearing the new song and the live stuff, I have to be honest, it is not bad. Certainly has the STP sound and truth be told the guy, gulp, sounds better than Scott did towards the end. You can lie and say it doesn't sound like STP circa Tiny Music, but come on, it does.

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS Live at The Troubadour 14/11/17 (audio)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

I'm digging this new song. I've always been a fan of the STP "sound". I'll give this album a chance. But then again I am a homer.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Can't we let the band stay in the 90's where they belong?

DHamilton likes this.
  19. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

This new track has me rethinking my earlier comments. This is a good song, I gotta admit. But it's still only one song. Let's see if they can make a whole album's worth. The new singer may have enough vocal skills to keep up, but I can't help but think this new incarnation of STP has suffered a huge loss in talent with Weiland gone. But perhaps this new guy has more songwriting ability than I'm giving him credit for.

I'll reserve judgement until this new album comes out. Is there an ETA on that?

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I am not lying when I say I am not a fan of the guy, and I just cannot get behind it musically. I dunno, to me nothing will come close to what we were blessed to get for so long

Vinyl_Blues and George P like this.
  21. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I'm not bringing anything new to the conversation.....but yeah, add me to the following:

- Weiland was a great front man
    - Not a fan of American Idol-type singers
    - New lead singers of bands this far into their careers never work
    - The new song is bland
    - Stop using the STP name (but I get why they are doing it)
    - Guy sounds like Scott but he's basically a cover band lead singer

Never got into Talk Show, loved AoA (and saw them on tour). The members thought AoA was going to be the next Audioslave (or at least their answer to Velvet Revolver), and it tanked, which was a shame.

Oh, and for all the AiC references....amen. Duvall is great, AiC was of course at its best with Layne, but they have not tainted the memory at all.

22. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

You know, if I only heard the audio of this performance and didn’t know when it was recorded, I’d think it was Weiland singing. I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

To me, Scott's singing on this tune has a much more yearning and sincere quality to it. Plus, the new singer seems to back of singing this at the correct (higher pitch.)

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I think I'd be really intimidated to be the lead singer for this band.
    It's pretty simple: They love playing music together, they have fantastic songs, and there's people that want to see them. Sure the new guy is aping Scott's vocal style-that's not such a bad thing. The new song is typical riffy STP. I can get behind that.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Well they can't all be Back in Black, but I guess there's no harm in trying :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.