Jeff Gutt is Stone Temple Pilots’ new lead singer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS NEW SELF-TITLED ALBUM WILL BE RELEASED MARCH 16

[​IMG]

LOS ANGELES (January 31, 2018) – Stone Temple Pilots has announced a March 16 release date for its highly anticipated new self-titled album, Stone Temple Pilots. This marks the band’s first album with the new lead singer, Jeff Gutt.

Despite being one of the best-selling bands of the 1990s with platinum records and a Grammy to its credit, guitarist Dean DeLeo says, “ We are thrilled about what lies ahead. The best way for us to honor our past is to keep making new music.”

The band does just that on Stone Temple Pilots. The first single “Meadow” and “Never Enough” channels the gritty guitars and swaggering rhythms that STP perfected on Core (1992), Purple (1994), and No. 4 (1999). “Roll Me Under” glides along a nimble bass line before slamming into the chorus, where Gutt’s baritone digs in.

Pre-order the album today @ www.stonetemplepilots.com and receive instant downloads of “Meadow” and “Roll Me Under.” Exclusive bundles are also available on the site, including vinyl, t-shirt, and a limited edition, hand signed lithographs by the band. The album will also be released on vinyl on May 25.

When asked what to expect on the upcoming tour, Robert DeLeo says,” With so much time and experience gone by in life we feel compelled to dig back into a 30-year catalog and really try to reflect and choose what songs haven’t been performed live. We want to give people who have come to see us in the past a chance to hear something they haven’t heard before at previous STP shows. We want to celebrate this time in our lives with our performances.”

Stone Temple Pilots track list:

1. Middle Of Nowhere

2. Guilty

3. Meadow

4. Just A Little Lie

5. Six Eight

6. Thought She’d Be Mine

7. Roll Me Under

8. Never Enough

9. The Art Of Letting Go

10. Finest Hour

11. Good Shoes

12. Reds & Blues

For more info and tour updates visit: www.stonetemplepilots.com

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I hate when bands release more than one self-titled album. In this case, it’ll be two consecutive albums with the same title.

pexie, anthontherun and George P like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree::agree:

4. readr

readr Forum Resident

Really like the new songs. Gutt was a great get. Can’t wait to have more new STP in my ear. Glad they carried on.....huge fan.

GoodKitty, Stormrider77 and Hep Alien like this.
  5. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

6. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

I was late getting around to this album ..... but now that I've put in the time .... I give it big thumbs-up :righton:
    Still haven't checked out any video though, so I have no sense of Jeff Gutt's performance style, and how he's singing the Weiland songs .... I wouldn't hesitate to go see 'em though, if I had the chance.

7. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

The major difference being that the only good Crüe album was with Corabi so that one's more deserving of the name than any. Best drumming and best songwriting of any Crüe album. Oh well....

8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I too was late to get around to this STP album. I typically have a hard time warming up to bands that replace iconic singers with a "sound-alike" or singing competition contestant. However, this flat out works, it's a valid STP album worthy of the name and the style of music - I enjoyed it very much.

9. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Well, good because according to Gutt they have already completed recording of a follow-up album which is supposedly more "beautiful and instrumental" but are delaying the release to make room for sales of the Purple re-release.

Stone Temple Pilots Complete 'Beautiful' New Album

Honestly, Gutt and Dave Coutts (Talk Show) are by and large the only singers with the members of STP so far that have been able to contend with Weiland on any level plane. I prefer Coutts over Gutt but we never got to really see him go the distance due to poor album sales and a lack of interest or awareness in fandom. I blame this more on lack of promotion from the label plus the tale end of the nineties burning out on its release created a disinterest with an overly saturated market. The Talk Show album is on par with No 4 and Tiny Music just edges it out by a few degrees.

The main issue I found with their self titled (2018) STP album with Gutt is not his songwriting or singing but the resulting production which is brick-walled and too beefy without detail. The songs are quite good though.

Hopefully this new release they will lean more to their previous efforts. The other self titled release (2010) and last one with Weiland really got it right in terms of production and tones. I wish they would go back to Don Was again.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Feel sorry for the brothers. In 2019 there is almost ZERO interest in a band formed by the guys without the STP name attached therefore they have no choice but to try to carry on.

Hiring Chester was a HUGE mistake for MANY reasons.

Hiring the dude they have now doesnt sound so great either but we shall see

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ain't that the truth. The songs are strong, and Gutt is a very good live performer, handling the Weiland material well. I'd definitely go see them live again.

I'm not sure they don't want to carry on as STP. It's still 3/4 of the original band, and the brothers were always very involved in the song-writing. It's not like they were just the guitar and bass player performing Weiland's vision. They are still doing the same type of music, so they're perfectly valid in being STP. Have they said they only use the name because they have to? It was their baby too, not just Scott's.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Not really an issue of WANT as much as a lack of choice. WANT doesnt matter..

Cantrell faced the same issue with AIC..

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. I agree. It wasn't just fulfilling Scott's vision, and the DeLeo brothers wrote so much of the great STP songs. They are super talented, even though they look more like Joan Rivers every day. They are still writing cool sounding music to this day.

BUT! - Above that bed of well-composed music was Scott's vocal melodies that sent the songs into the stratosphere. That is very, very difficult thing to replace, almost to the point of it being impossible.

It's what Scott did with Velvet Revolver, too. The bandsmen made great music, but it was Scott's sense of melody that took them over the top. I'm not talking about the quality of Scott's voice, his pitch, his range, his delivery, nor the ability to change up his style (all of which made him wonderful); I'm talking about how he could craft a vocal melody to sit atop the music, that made it memorable. Totally memorable.

That's something that we'll probably never see again with STP. Yes, it's still STP, and the band has every right to be. But it was chemistry and it's exactly why the Doors were never the same without Jim. Some things you just can't replace.

14. agentalbert

True. But I don't expect or need them to recapture the magic of Purple/Tiny Music. Most fans who go to an STP concert now couldn't care less about the new music, unfortunately. They just want to hear the popular songs performed well. And Jeff does that. I DO want to hear new music from them, so if they can continue to make solid albums (on par with the 2018 one) and play a few of those songs in the live shows, then I'll continue to support them.

Stormrider77, Hep Alien and Rocketdog like this.
  15. agentalbert

I think it does matter. They aren't "trapped" if they are still doing what they want.

Stormrider77, Hep Alien and Rocketdog like this.
  16. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Not always. Look at AC/DC or Van Halen for just a couple of examples. Many times it depends more on if the audience is willing to accept the change. True though, that if they're not, there's unfortunately not a lot the band can do about it. Even if the material they are putting out is still quality, as is the case with the current STP, or any of the previous side projects the DeLeo brothers (Talk Show, Army Of Anyone) were involved with, or even Scott's solo work. Outside of the first Velvet Revolver album, pretty much all that other stuff bombed commercially, including the second VR album.

Hep Alien and mattdm11 like this.
  17. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I gotta agree with this. I though the 2018 album was as good as anything else in their catalog, and I do hope they continue to make new music.

pexie likes this.
  18. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Well, in case you missed my previous post - they are. They have already recorded a new album in the studio but are holding back on release due to the re-elease of Purple.
    Stone Temple Pilots Complete 'Beautiful' New Album
    Interview: Stone Temple Pilots - singer Jeff Gutt (July 2019 interview) - Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon - Omny.fm

Rocketdog and Hep Alien like this.
  19. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Saw the Gutt fronted STP last year with The Cult & Bush. I thought he did an outstanding job and IMO they stole the show. I would definitely go see them again, hopefully in a nice small venue.

20. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

I agree with the earlier comments.
    Pulling a lead singer this way is not only cheesy, its lazy. Send a team out to canvas the clubs, in the mean time accept demo tapes and audition singers. Find a unknown, long haired dude with great vox and stage presence.

STP was always a classic rock band with a 90s grunge/alternative spin anyway.
    Shed the 90s trappings and just go out and be authentic, which they always were anyway. Anything remotely smelling American Idol is the worst. I don't care if the guy can cut it or not. It's bogus.

21. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

In many ways I agree with you but look at it from Gutt's point of view. In this day and age you have to take any opportunity afforded to you to make a name for yourself. It's no less work than playing clubs and bars hoping someone discovers you on one special night. It's just a new medium and like it or not reflects where we are today with music. No, I don't think it's great for a 90s band nor do I think it's very Rock n' Roll. That doesn't change how well his singing and songwriting fits with the band's style though. It really doesn't matter where he "came from....."

D.B., Rocketdog and Hep Alien like this.
  22. agentalbert

This thread popping up has inspired me to go check out Army Of Anyone and Talk Show, which I've never done.

23. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Army of Anyone was really something too. Very different. While Talk Show still sounds a lot like STP circa Tiny Music...

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Freezerburn

I'll disagree. It turns the whole band into some sort of marketing formula. These guys are done like dinner anyway. There is no STP without Scott IMO. The guy just is too iconic to be replaced. They need to just form a new band without the name, and maybe add another guitar player

25. Freezerburn

Talk Show is better than the last 2 STP Scott records. Army is a bit less satisfying.

JorgeGvb, Hep Alien and pexie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.