Jeff Jampol: Doors working on Hollywood Bowl 1968 restoration

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It could be worse...a 2012 lead vocal from Jim, dubbed into a 1968 live recording...along the same lines as what Peter Gabriel did for the live "Lamb" on the Genesis Archive box. Not that Jim being alive would be bad a thing :)

A 1968 studio vocal put into the 1968 live recording...if they can match it up, that's as good as it can get...if the live vocal is not usable :)

Come on October :)

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I don't have a problem with it....if they indicate in the booklet or in bonus material somewhere, what is actually from the Hollywood Bowl and what is not. I don't care for this "we're gonna sneak it in here and there and see who we can fool..." mentality.

3. pool_of_tears

Well, I don't know if they will include that info in the booklet. But from what I have read, I think there is a documentary as a bonus feature on the DVD...which should entail the restoration process. This could be potentially quite informative.

I'm so excited that I've ripped the core 6 studio albums (DCC's, AF's) to my iPod...plus needledrops of Full Circle and Other Voices. I can hardly wait to hear this one.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You're saying it's possible to get a new 2012 live lead vocal from Jim Morrison? That's what I call a special effect.

I assume they'd have to call that one in long distance... :angel:

5. pool_of_tears

LOL.

I tried to word things wisely but I knew someone would call me out. if Jim were alive, having him sing over it would be bad.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

He is the lizard king, he can do anything

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Maybe they shoudl have Cliff Morrison overdub the vocal parts. They had the son of one of the Santana's percussionists overdub a part on the Woodstock DVD that wasn't on the multitrack.

The Band did some overdubs in the mid 80's and on the boxset in the mid 90's.

They also had John Sebastian overdub his harmonica on the Felt Forum boxset just 2-3 years ago.

8. pool_of_tears

:sigh:

9. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I knew that his original in-the-flesh contributions weren't well-recorded - didn't he redo his part on Little Red Rooster in the early 80's, around the time that Alive She Cried was, erm, "compiled"?

I hadn't realised he then went back AGAIN to those tapes for the Felt Forum box...

10. Five Star Edge

Five Star Edge Forum Resident

In fairness, the official doors website offered the 'untouched' versions of the John Sebastian tracks as a free download at the time of the FF release (they still may be available-I'm not sure).

11. Porsche

Porsche New Member

Not quite. In some cases, the vocals were so severely damaged that there was no option but to fly in vocals from other live performances or, in the case of "Hello I Love You," not include the song at all. I suspect the bluray release will still feature some AL vocals in places. Rothchild's reason for changing "Light My Fire" was a commercial one. As you can hear in the YouTube clip, and collectors heard on the audience recording, Jim totally changed the melody when he sang the ending. Rothchild wanted to release the song as a live single and that's why he dubbed that portion with a more typical live performance. It was a creative decision and there may have been other such creative decisions made -- like editing out the first half of "Spanish Caravan" -- but that doesn't mean that there weren't changes made for technical reasons as well.

Nice. But I'd recommend getting Other Voices and Full Circle on iTunes. They're sourced from the LP masters and sound great.

Soundslave likes this.
  12. SoundAdvice

Has the unedited soundboard ever circulated?

Define "damaged". It's not the mastertape itself as the instruments sound fine. I find the mic hum or disconnected mic excuse weird as it's only on some songs and it can be heard on the audience tape. Plus Jim had 3 years to sing parts again if they really needed it for his film projects.

I'm well aware of why Ray, Bruce and maybe Rothchild said at the time, but some of what they did in the mid 80's and the boxset have fans raising legitimate questions.

13. pool_of_tears

I'm not one to purchase lossy stuff from I-tunes. Just the way I roll. :cool:
    My needledrops are from dead-quiet vinyl copies, so I'll stick with those. Recommendation appreciated though :)

Back to Hollywood Bowl...It's my belief there were some technical issues, causing the exclusion of some stuff. I also believe they used that as an excuse to *fly in * some other stuff for artistic reasons.

14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thank you for your informative post. :thumbsup:

15. SoundAdvice

What is the tangible evidence that there is technical issues with Jim on the multitrack? Is everyone going on Bruce/Ray quotes from a couple decades ago?

16. pool_of_tears

The Doors Hollywood Bowl 68 - The Real Don Steele Show, KHJ Boss Radio L.A Concert Promos...very cool to hear a vintage aircheck...and you can win a pain of tickets...the show is stone cold sold out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzXQ67cbKKo

17. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Interesting read guys.

18. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Moonlight Drive excerpt from the new release. Note the insert shot of Krieger at the 55 second mark taken from a different performance where he is wearing different clothes and breathing frost: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjGeKaxo3qc

19. pool_of_tears

Thanks for that. The only thing that looks different are Robbie's pants...so, there ya go :)

But the audio...Robbie's guitar parts are different, comparing this to the audio on the 1987 video. I'm not surprised that there were 1980's era overdubs.

20. Five Star Edge

Five Star Edge Forum Resident

I hope they list all 'edits/fixes' in the liner notes

21. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Don't forget the steam he is breathing in the insert shot filmed at a different show. Looks odd to see that breath steam inserted into a July summer concert at the Bowl.

22. pool_of_tears

That too :) Unless it was a cold July night in Los Angeles...doubtful. That insert probably comes from the footage shot for Feast Of Friends...perhaps unused?

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Why would they put in shots from a different show in there? Jeez.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Because that is the kind of crap The Doors do. Frustrating band. I'm still pissed that the 3 discs of additional LA Woman outtakes got shelved because of incompetence.

25. I have to agree with you, unfortunately.

It's a bloody disgrace the way this company treats the catalogue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.