Jeff Jampol: Doors working on Hollywood Bowl 1968 restoration

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

They can't seem to pull off anything without being cagey about it ... or flat out lying.

Still, I don't care if they ended up lifting the vocal from the studio HILY for this ... as long as they come clean about it!

I accepted long ago that the 21st century Botnick is going to slather everything with digital reverb anyway ... I'm ok with it now ... not like there's anything we can do about it ... ha ha!

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'd like to think this was a goof and someone *thought* that shot was from the Hollywood Bowl gig. If that's the case, soneone wasn't paying attention to continuity as Robbie is wearing different pants. If that's not the case...who knows!?

In all honesty, it isn't the first time a concert video used footage in it, different than the concert itself. For example, "The Synchronicity Concert" by The Police. Those pointless closeup shots of the crowd are from a show that was also videotaped in Canada. And even a few shots during the opening song "Synchronicyt I" are from that show. You can see it when they dissolve from Sting wearing his red/blue/yellow Mad-Max style top to a long sleeve white button down shirt. Goofy!

3. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

At least... it's only 10 bucks for the Blu-Ray...

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They did everything from the original negatives and that Kreiger insert has been seen in a past Doors music video for decades.

They are trying to be sneaky and it's annoying. The 1995 REM concert video cut between 3 shows where they wore blatently different outfits.

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly, although I didn't want to put it in those words because I don't want to be too negative about it before the thing is released and/or we hear some sort of explanation about it.

Maybe someone thought they could advertise it as containing "new angles"!

Once again, I completely agree. And with every botched release I become less and less of a fan of this b(r)and. Not that they will ever miss me.

I'm okay with videos like that when that is just the way they are made. But when you're reissuing an old one and re-making it and the correct footage is already on the original, these sort of changes are unnecessary and very annoying.

Like I said above, I'll wait for reviews and possible explanations about the changes before making my mind up, but after so many years it's hard not to be cynical.

6. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Very cool, thanks. Brought back some serious memories of growing up on 60s LA radio. My Dad had KHJ on in the car frequently, and my older brother would play it a home all the time. Truly a golden age of radio.

7. jymy

jymy Senior Member

DVD info:
    16:9, NTSC, Region Free, subtitles (bonus features only): English, French, Spanish
    running time (incl. extras) 135min.)
    DD2.0, DD5.1, DTS
    Bonus features:
    Echoes From The Bowl
    You Had To Be There
    Reworking The Doors
    Bonus tracks: Wild Child (Smother Brothers Show), Light My Fire (Jonathan Winters Show), Gloria (music video)

Picture is at least sometimes cropped and has alternate angles, compared with previous VHS/DVD release (check Moonlight Drive from link in previous post)

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

3 tv appearances making their debut on a DOORS DVD. Gloria was on a VHS in the late 90's and the Smother Brothers appearance was on a season set.

Jampol says all the bonus features are longer than the concert.

I guess the commentary track from the DVD/laserdisc will give the old discs exclusive content.

9. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Wow! What a great, in-depth, knowledgable, intelligent interview. Congrats on doing such a great job and thanks so much for sharing it.

10. pool_of_tears

11. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Looks great! I'm definitely in the market for revisiting this concert. In my early to mid-teens, when I was an absolute Doors freak, I remember being severely disappointed with this gig. Not that they didn't sound great, and the setlist was good, but it lacked the cathartic mayhem of a standard '68 performance. Jim definitely knew they were being recorded, and did a great job focusing on singing, but when Greg Shaw's The Doors on the Road listed all the gigs that was filmed for Feast of Friends (long before I actually had a chance to see that), I was fantasising wildly about what might linger in the archives of more "extreme" caliber, especially after seeing the "Roadhouse Blues" video in Dance on Fire. But as I've grown older, I've learnt to appreciate what we actually have - which is never enough, but still quite a lot. :)

12. rokritr

rokritr Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Hey John,
    Thanks for dredging up my interview with Frank after a few years. ;)
    And, more importantly, thanks for the kind words :righton:

13. jymy

jymy Senior Member

14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i have like 100 blu-rays and i couldn't tell you which have dnr and which don't...

so this won't be a big issue for me.

15. pool_of_tears

I've got the cd and dvd pre-ordered :) I'm anxious to hear the full concert now. Yeah, they did a fix or two but if that means we get Hello, I Love You then so be it :) I'm excited.

I have the old version on DVD so this should be a nice upgrade/alternate viewing experience. DNR doesn't concern me as I don't own a blu-ray. So, I am alright.

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Nice article in today's Wall Street Journal on the creation of Light My Fire, with comments by each surviving Door. I'd give a link but, with Mr. Murdoch, you've got to pay to play.

17. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I'm in for the vinyl.

18. During "Texas Radio" while Jim is reciting the words by himself there's a quick insert shot from behind Ray where it is obvious by his foot and arm movements that he is playing. You can also see Robbie walking towards the drum riser playing as well.

No music is heard during this clip.

:thumbsdn:

19. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I can't find any mention of the audio only?

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think it was more than "a fix or two," but your point is well taken. At least a "complete" audio presentation is being presented. I just hope the vocal and music edits/repairs/overdubs have been done out of necessity and not out of a desire to simply create a "perfect" presentation at the expense of historical accuracy.

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

My Blu-ray shipped notice just arrived from amazon. :D

23. swanlee

swanlee Active Member

I got mine and watched it.Very good, their is dnr but in a concert it can be dealt with, audio is great. Any edits that are done I did not really notice so they were not in your face or offensive. Nice to hear the whole thing and see 99% of it :).

24. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Are there visual fade outs between songs?

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Read the review I posted from Blu ray.com in that thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.