Jeff Lynne's ELO reveals 2018 Tour dates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larsen, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It's like John Lennon without Elephant's Memory ... :wtf:

2. It's like... Brian Wilson without The Beach Boys?

3. I'd paid DOUBLE to hear Jeff playing this material in stripped-down arrangements, and/or with notably different imagined instrumentation. But I'm NOT into hearing live recreations of elaborate studio material, especially if the tempi, instrumentation, and arrangements are almost direct mirrors of the studio versions.

Not saying there's nothing at all impressive about the talent it takes to recreate things like that on-stage -- lord knows it takes real talent to pull that kind of thing off, and do it well. It's just that if I wanted to hear that material performed like that, I could save myself a mint and just play my original albums (or buy the Wembly thing on DVD).

I go to concerts to hear magic, or at least some magic. Recreating studio magic may be impressive as hell, but it's less than "magical" on stage, at least for me.

I'd really be glad to travel several hours, and pay an overnight hotel, and pay double(!) to hear Jeff "reinvent" his wonderful and incredible material. But I don't know that I'd pay regular ticket prices to go hear him at the hockey arena 2 blocks from where I work (which is one of the most likely venues he might have played, had he come to Washington DC). Point is moot, because I don't think he's ever playing here on this tour -- but to be honest, I never bothered to look all that closely, given the nature of the tour.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    lawrev and Chazzbo13 like this.
  4. A tour with Jeff playing more intimate venues and reinventing his classic ELO hits (along with some deep cuts) in a similar style to that pre-recorded acoustic special from Bungalow Palace a few years ago would be an absolute dream come true...

5. Markjoel

Markjoel Active Member

The Electric Light Orchestra is one of my favorite bands, but ELO was never that exciting to watch on stage even in the 70's. Watching the 1978 Wembley DVD you can see it was all a spectacle with the spaceship and the lasers. The music is timeless and I saw ELO at Radio City in 2016 and thought it was a great show, albeit a short one at under 90 minutes. The Wembley Stadium show from 2017 was incredible...great set list and stage show was well. The Oakland set list was a good one, still missing songs. They can be on stage for almost 3 hours and still miss songs. I'll be at The Garden August 21st with my son and my friends, my 18 year old son loves ELO. Maybe he'll add to the set list as the tour progresses.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  6. "Dream come true" is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. ELO unplugged, or backed only with strings. Or piano and strings. I'd travel across half the country to hear that, probably.

7. I know this is highly unlikely, but now that Bev's taken on more of a percussion-based role with Quill, can you imagine if he continued this approach with Jeff, Richard and Mik for a "stripped down" tour of ELO's hits?

lawrev likes this.
  8. RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68 Forum Resident

So he's shortened the already short show by dropping Last Train to London, Xanadu and Prologue/Twilight without replacing them. That's a bit disappointing.

lawrev and Comet01 like this.
  9. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Yes. Near Ohare.

bhazen likes this.
  10. Markjoel

Markjoel Active Member

I know...if he just kept the Wenbley set list, it would all be OK.

melstapler and JoeRockhead like this.
  11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

It's like Don Henley without... ..... Hang on...

Jeff's 70. Make the most of him and be happy.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  12. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

My wife and I attended the LA show last night and it was fantastic. The sound and polish of the band were extraordinary. The only disappointment was the slightly shorter setlist, but I was tired at 56, so I can only imagine being 70. Highly recommended for any ELO fans.

vivatones likes this.
  13. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

We saw the show in Dallas. One of my favorite concerts over the past 60 years. If you enjoy ELO’s music, and if you have a chance to go, don’t miss this tour.

14. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

15. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Tomorrow

16. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Great shot from the Dallas show by Barry Nothstine!

[​IMG]

17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I took these in Houston last Friday. I've been going to concerts since 1980, and this was one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Saw them in Chicago this week and the arena was packed. They had to play the smaller of the two arenas in town due to Sam Smith booked in the other. Like to know how many tickets he sold.

JoeRockhead, vivatones and benjis like this.
  19. benjis

benjis Well-Known Member

I saw the show in Detroit, last night, and for over 90 minutes I got to witness one of my favorite musicians play part of the soundtrack of my life. In a word, it was badass!

20. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

We were there! My buddy took some nice photos...yours look great!

vivatones and Aggie87 like this.
  21. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

It was nice to see Jeff once in a lifetime. They nailed it yesterday. What a portfolio he has of a tremendous, rich music.

22. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Is there an opening act? and if so, what time is ELO hitting the stage? Going to MSG right from work, hoping not to miss anything! Any info appreciated!

23. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

One of my favorite bands I never saw... I've wanted to go for a long time, but it's too much to go to a concert nowadays, and not just financial, where I got to watch "Wembley or Bust" for free on the internet.

24. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Dawes was the opening act in Houston a week ago, I believe they're on the whole tour. They were actually a really good opener.

Not sure about the times.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  25. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Bummed out to have missed Toronto Saturday night, due to scheduling conflicts. Is Richard Tandy not on this tour? Didn't see him in the video....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.