Jeff Lynne's ELO to release new live album 17.11.17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larsen, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

Apologies for being hate spewing

2. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes I hope so as Hyde Park didn't sound that great. Still no matter what I'm in!

3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Hmm I didn't know that. I wonder why they didn't have it on the US. My guess is royalties?

4. The only things I have to say right now are as follows:

1. So not even the most deluxe version of this release will contain the full concert, then?

2. I really hope that Richard Tandy returns for the rumoured upcoming US tour, if not the new ELO studio album Jeff's also known to be working on...

3. Can we have a newly expanded Secret Messages next? At the very least, such a package needs to include the originally intended 2LP running order, alternate takes or mixes and even highlights from The Garden Rehearsals.

lawrev, adriatikfan, longaway and 2 others like this.
  5. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I don't think the Secret Messages reissue will happen sadly. What songs from Wembley aren't on this set?

6. Roll Over Beethoven was also missing from the US edition of The Early Years, and my understanding is that its removal was indeed the result of a local royalties issue.

7. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes that is what I thought as well and posted that a few posts before.

ShardEnder likes this.
  8. Never mind - I forgot that the additional songs from Alone In The Universe apart from When I Was A Boy had already been dropped from the corresponding album's tour setlist by the time of the Wembley show!

Also, while I'm not at liberty to say too much, I'd be very surprised if we don't hear an announcement regarding an expanded reissue of Secret Messages and at least one other classic ELO studio project in the next few months at the latest... (There are plans for something, and Rob Caiger has already teased an elaborate boxed set on this forum.)

Sean Murdock, Jarleboy and c-eling like this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I enjoyed the Zoom Tour DVD Shard, so I'll probably grab this. Shame, no SM tunes on this new one. Bluebird would of been a nice addition :)

ShardEnder likes this.
  10. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Did you get the Hyde Park DVD?

11. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Day 1 for me.

Only one track from Alone in the universe?

12. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

For some reason Amazon US has the 2 CD/DVD set at $39.99 while the 2CD/bluray set is only $24.98. That doesn't make sense at all as usually the bluray set is more expensive then the set with the DVD. I wonder if I should call Amazon and maybe they can look into it as it could be a pricing mistake. Any suggestions? No I don't own a blu-ray player yet so that isn't an option for me.

13. Michaelpeth

Christ man. Enjoy what you get. He could be stiff by now

ShardEnder likes this.
  14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

It like we are still living in the 70's. Is it any wonder there are so few female members on these forums.....

smartiepants and Chazzbo13 like this.
  15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

My take is that when we were young (I'm assuming in the 70s) and big fans of ELO, we went out of our way to get information of who was in the band, who wrote and played what, maybe even the technical stuff, like who produced and/or engineered the albums. In fact, I'd say most of us here on this forum did that with all our favorite bands. That was what we did in those days. (Times have changed dramatically, but that's for another thread.......)

But most people did not bother with minutiae! Most people bought the records, heard the music on the radio -or TV once in a while- enjoyed it and that was that. The same people who just liked the music are the same people who might go see "ELO II" and not even know there's no original members, or just one of them. They don't really care. I think Jeff Lynne and most classic rockers know this. This is their core audience.
    It's up to Jeff Lynne to differentiate from that and assert himself by inserting his name into HIS resurrection of the band. He wrote, arranged, and produced ALL THEIR SONGS and deserves a public pat on the back for doing so. I have a feeling the other band members in the past, as mega-talented as they are, didn't have much creative input, and acknowledge that. It was Jeff's band from "ELO II" on.

Your swipe at him for resigning himself to the fact "he would never be the fifth Beatle" is just mean, absurd, and has nothing to do with the subject. The typical and ridiculous "cash cow" references classic bands get thrown at them is equally ridiculous and mean-spirited. These guys gotta work just like you and me. Their work just happened to sell millions of units. Why is it so derogatory for them to keep doing the job they do best?

I'm all for this live album! Not sure if I'll buy it, but I'm glad he's doing this.

16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

It's my opinion you merely replied to someone who was spewing.

Michaelpeth likes this.
  17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

This doesn't sound very good at all. It has that boxy dry sound that Jeff loves. In fact if you take out the applause it sounds like a studio recording or just a so-so soundboard recording. Compare this to any of the songs on Youtube from Dave Gilmours live release and the difference is night and day.

18. Michaelpeth

You tube ....you spanner

19. c-eling

I never did Scott, But by the comments given maybe that was a good thing.
    That promo clip above sounds compressed to holy hell... crap.

20. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It's compressed but what really bothers me is it's too muffled and has a very boxy closed in sound to it. There's no ambiance to it. It sounds about the same as the Hyde Park show and I was hoping for something better this time around. The 2001 Zoom DVD sounds amazing.

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

I gave up on ELO and SQ after and including Long Wave...
    I have a bad feeling if Secret Messages gets the full tracklist treatment it's going to be treated the same way :sigh:

ShardEnder and Scottb like this.
  22. SpaceshipEarth

SpaceshipEarth Forum Resident

That must have been an amazing concert and what a tracklist!

smartiepants likes this.
  23. [​IMG]

Sammy Banderas, Scottb and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

I knew that was coming Shard :laugh:

Scottb and ShardEnder like this.
  25. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

The CD version will be fine for me. Video looks dizzying with a lot of cuts to probably mask the fact that JL is like watching a cardboard cutout live. Love JL but not the most dynamic performer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.