Jellyfish- 2 CD Deluxe Editions on the way...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noname74, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

It's Omnivore's mistake. Every site where you can purchase music had these listed. Omnivore put them on release sheets prematurely.

SDE just uses release info they get through official sources. They admitted they were speculating about the track list.

2. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Interesting to know. An Omnivore spokesperson posted in this thread telling us not to believe it.

read here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...uxe-editions-on-the-way.344409/#post-10105766

and here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...uxe-editions-on-the-way.344409/#post-10307359

3. Thought I was losing my mind there for a minute...thanks! Here's hoping and further more for plenty of unreleased stuff!

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I saw that when they posted it and was kind of surprised by the little bit of negative attitude in what they wrote. It's especially interesting that they aren't upset with EVERY music retailer on the internet for listing those CDs - Amazon just happens to be the bad guy? So they have a person sitting there making up release information? Omnivore can say what they want to say but they put those releases on a release sheet and then something went wrong.

I also think its crazy for an upstart record company to pee all over a blog like Super Deluxe Edition when that site is one of very few offering free publicity - and doing a very nice job of it as well. Do you have data on SDE's track record? I don't personally use it for my release info but from what I have seen its pretty reliable... because they use release sheets, not rumor. Anything they add about the release they tend to mark as speculation, again at least on the articles I've read over the years.

Just for laughs look into Demolition by Rain Parade. That was supposed to be an Omnivore release too but it never happened and it must be cancelled or delayed. The hoopla didn't exist so there's no being mad at a music blog or being mad at Amazon. But it too is listed all over the internet and it too is another Omnivore mistake.

The interesting thing is that Sundazed seems to have the opposite problem. They tend to post hints about stuff on their Facebook page that never gets released.

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Order now for a great price at Import CDs... listed as a December release date... in the year 2025!

http://www.importcds.com/music/2751966/jellyfish-spilt-milk

http://www.importcds.com/music/2752009/jellyfish-bellybutton-deluxe

And search the UPC codes to see how many retailers have or had this release for sale (a lot of the listings are removed so it does appear these are doomed) - interestingly Amazon actually had the wrong number of discs... so SDE got that right, at least according to most of the other retail listings

Bellybutton - UPC: 816651016006
    Spilt Milk - UPS: 816651016013

6. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It's not uncommon for amazon to list the wrong number of discs...

Well - that's something - Omnivore at least had a bar code for them....

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yes, they have to have a UPC.

I don't think Amazon was the only site to have the number of discs wrong. This info must all be electronic or passed through some sort of service. I remember the Barnes and Noble listing (now removed) was exactly the same as the Amazon listing.

8. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

So what is going on with Jellyfish - do they have product coming out in 2014 or what? Word is they do.... anyone know anything?

9. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

10. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Thanks Jimbino :)
    This is great. I love this band. I've bought everything released so far, so I probably have all this stuff already, but that won't stop me from picking these up. I want to support Omnivore, and let the Jellyfish guys know we still love them. It might be million to one odds that they will ever play together again OR make another LP, but I want t let them know us fans are still out here ready to support whatever they might do. Also, Omnivore did an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G job on those Bellybutton/Spilt Milk LP reissues a while back. I've been listening to those two CDs ever since they came out, and I heard details on the Omnivore LPs that I never noticed before. If you're a Jellyfish fan, you HAVE to have these. To Omnivore: PLEASE consider releasing Jellyfish music in Hi-Res in the future. I PROMISE to buy ALL of it! :)

Gardo likes this.
  11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This is not the Jellyfish release I was looking for, but I guess it's cool for CD people.

Still waiting for the "unreleased tracks compiled to vinyl" release...they've basically taken the live stuff from Fan Club and pressed it to individual LP releases, so the next step would be compiling all the unreleased studio tracks in a nice double-LP set. I'm not as concerned with the demo versions of album tracks, but there's enough unreleased songs on that box set to make a really nice compilation and get more of my money.

13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I already have the the Jfish box set - so what's in the 2CD re-issues for people like me?

14. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Very good question. I have asked a person who should know, and should they respond I'll post relevant info here.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Is there really much chance of anything substantial coming out that wasn't already released in the scrape-the-cupboards Fan Box and/or the ephemeral releases that have come since (instrumentals, live)?

16. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I would think not, but hey... who knows?

17. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

I run the SuperDeluxeEdition blog and I've just noticed this discussion that goes back to April.

Perhaps Omnivore Recordings could tell me what is 'erroneous' about the report posted on 23 Feb.
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...on-and-spilt-milk-deluxe-editions-on-the-way/

• We stated that 2CD deluxe editions of both Jellyfish albums are 'on the way' - true.
    • We stated that the release date of 6 May is "likely to be approximate at this stage" - true. That date came and went.
    • We stated that both sets would "offer an abundance of bonus material, largely made up of demos and live tracks" - true.
    I have no problem with Omnivore being a little peeved that they didn't 'tick the box' that stopped this appearing on Amazon but that is something that is entirely under their control. Posting here telling all and sundry that our report was 'erroneous' when they know full well it wasn't, is really unprofessional and damaging to the SuperDeluxeEdition blog's reputation.

It led to Rhett saying that we propagated false information, when we didn't.

Perhaps an apology is in order? Considering the SuperDeluxeEdition blog celebrates these kind of releases, and has a fairly large and targeted audience, incorrectly accusing the blog of publishing erroneous information is rather strange behaviour for a label that should benefit from our coverage. Perhaps a 'no comment' might be wiser next time, rather than a panicky denial of something they know to be true.

thanks,
    Paul Sinclair (Editor, SDE)

18. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Agree 100 percent. Omnivore should apologize. Their original post was totally out of line. SDE likely plays a huge role in keeping labels like Omnivore in business. Sheesh.

englandmademe likes this.
  19. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Thank you for the clarification Paul! My apologies to your fine website for my remark - though I was led to believe from Omnivore's positioning statement that they weren't working on anything like this since they didn't list this on their site. Thus leading a consumer (like me - who is not privy to label release info) that SDE was posting rumor or worst case scenario 'made up fantasy releases'.

Since your post - I see (according to posters on your blog - Paul) that people reportedly emailied Omnivore about the releases and Omnivore denied it.

Strange!

20. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

No worries Rhett, not really your fault, but I appreciate you taking the time to post, nonetheless. Just to clarify, I was suggesting an apology from Omnivore might be in order - that wasn't directed at yourself :)

I don't have a problem with labels wanting to keep things close to their chest, but when the cat is out of the bag, there is a right way and a wrong way to deal with it.

What *exactly* would have been the downside of Omnivore saying 'Yes, they are in the planning, but we're not ready to announce the details just yet. Watch this space.' ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  21. Stallings

Stallings Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the two Jellyfish albums were all analog? Session tapes and mixdown, that is.

22. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

Bellybutton was all analog according to http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=507923&postcount=5 "The format tho' was definitely 24 track analog.. and the machines were Oceanway Ampex ATR-124's."

Spilt Milk was also all analog according to the CD liner notes..."THE MUSIC ON THIS COMPACT DIGITAL DISC WAS ORIGINALLY RECORDED ON ANALOG EQUIPMENT."

23. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Hell, yeah. But why stop at just hi-res? Give us 5.1 hi-res SACDs!!!!

Please :)

24. Royce

Royce Senior Member

NOW we're talking! :agree:

25. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Spilt Milk in 5.1 might rearrange some synapses...

T'mershi Duween, Gardo and longaway like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.