Jennifer Nettles (lead vocalist of Sugarland) is going solo for sure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. BradOlson

Since even the average joe has recognized Jennifer Nettles' talent and is aware of the name, a solo career is perfect for her. She is already a superstar the way it is.

3. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Considering the Indiana stage collapse and the way thier management handled the situation, I think the bands name is tainted because of the tragedy. A solo career would distance herself from it, I think...

zen likes this.
  4. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Fabulous voice. And easy on the eyes.

5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

To me, Jennifer IS Sugarland, so I can definitely see her going solo!

6. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

That guy in Sugarland is officially screwed.

Coricama, ssmith3046 and Jamey K like this.
  7. BradOlson

Me too.

8. BradOlson

His name is Kristian Bush and I agree that he is screwed now that people know that it was Jennifer who is the star of the show, in fact they had known that she was the star all along, but this is just the proof of that.

9. zen

zen Senior Member

Bingo!

10. BradOlson

Indeed, this news came at the right time.

11. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

What about Story of your Bones, isn't that solo?

12. BradOlson

This was billed as the Jennifer Nettles Band, but still, she was the star, just like what happened with Sugarland. Many of the early solo recordings could be found at www.jennifernettles.com (at least as of the mid 2000s). This would be a new solo career.

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I think she'd be great on her own.

Always loved her duet with jon bon jovi.

keyXVII likes this.
  14. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

15. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Fantastic voice and stage presence. I watched a couple of her songs on the show and though I don't remember the guy she was singing with, I remember how she connected emotionally with every song and phrase she sung.

keyXVII likes this.
  16. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Not sure I would call her a Superstar. But since she's the lead singer, and is getting all the spotlight.

Kinda like the Annie Lennox and the Eurythmics. Natalie Merchant & 10,000 Maniacs.

Course, maybe Sugarland wants to declare bankruptcy after getting sued.

17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

She was the reason I stopped watching that show.

18. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

As were all the other former members

funny thing - she was solo before being asked to join

19. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Duh, never saw THAT coming.... you mean she doesn't need the guy in the hat who jumps around and sings and plays inaudibly while she carries the show?

I get that there is love for her here, and I seriously don't mean to threadcrap, but her voice seriously bugs me - so piercingly whiny and her enunciation is so broad that she sounds like a cat screeching in the night to me. I can't survive the duration of her records that have been on the radio.

Does anyone else recognize this in her singing style? I think she is way "out there" in this respect. She DID reign it in on some of her duets on that show, and I was very happy to hear her do that because I do recognize the gift of her voice and her appeal, but her Sugarland material is not for me. She just sounds seriously unschooled to me on the Sugarland records I have heard - I would think that any vocal coach would have reigned that in on first listen.

20. BradOlson

21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Working with Rick Rubin sounds like an interesting direction for Jennifer! I'm anxious to hear it.

22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

That guy in Sugarland is officially screwed.

I don't know that I've ever heard a Sugarland song, so I'm watching this very much from afar and I may be speaking out of turn.

But how could you NOT look with a jaundiced eye at the star-making machinery move of ousting the non-conforming (looks-wise) former female member? I seem to recall they tried to put a good face on it, but from the moment I first saw them as a trio, I knew this was in the cards before long. So this would seem to be the next step.

This is one reason of several why I can't take anything the least bit seriously that happens in "country music" today.

23. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

No one saw this coming...

Next will be the girl leaving The Band Perry.

24. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

She's breaking pop music protocol~! Doesn't she know the way that it always works? First they have to change the name of the band to "Jennifer Nettles AND Sugarland", THEN after a little while she can go solo.
    :D

Malina likes this.
  25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

To me, she's like Neil Young: you wouldn't teach someone to sing that way, but her voice is personal, expressive, and emotional.

keyXVII and P(orF) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.