Jennifer Nettles (lead vocalist of Sugarland) is going solo for sure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'll respond to this when you answer the questions I posed to you. As you've chosen to selectively quote my posts and ignore others who have responded to you altogether, it's apparent that you lack the courage of your convictions (if you can call them that) on this issue.

2. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

THANK GOD Sugarland is FINALLY done! I'm so glad Jennifer took off, this is the BEST thing I've heard in a long time!!

I would sooooo love to see a Billy Pilgrim reunion! One of my faves...
    Or at least see him do something similar to BP.

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

The duo is still together but we will also get a solo recording from Kristian Bush as well. iTunes, etc. does sell That Girl as well.

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I just saw Jennifer on "Good Morning America" and with Rick Rubin involved, I'm not very impressed with her new single!

6. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I have to agree.
    Someone is steering her solo career right into the ditch with this......

7. stopbrickwalling

stopbrickwalling Forum Resident

I imagine Kristian Bush will be fine either way....he is the great-grandson of A.J. Bush of Bush Baked Beans fame.

I've never been a big Sugarland fame, but having seen them live a few times, one thing that was VERY apparent was how much they stepped up their live shows after touring with Kenny Chesney for a summer and learning from him.

boboquisp likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

Due out in January 2014 according to this story from the Associated Press.

Jennifer Nettles Talks New Solo Album, Motherhood
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. November 5, 2013 (AP)
    By CHRIS TALBOTT AP Music Writer

Jennifer Nettles has finished the music, chosen a cover photo and now she has a release date for her debut solo album — Jan. 14.

Nettles revealed the date Monday night in an interview at the ASCAP Country Awards, making one of many appearances this week. The Sugarland singer kicked things off with a listening party for her new Rick Rubin-produced album, "That Girl," on Sunday. She will attend the Country Music Association Awards on Wednesday and will serve as host during the taping Friday of the CMA's Christmas show.

Expect to see a different side of the 39-year-old singer as she reveals her new music. They're the first without her Sugarland partner Kristian Bush. The Grammy Award-winning duo is on hiatus.

"I think this album so far for me musically has been the most intimate and personal ... musically and vocally," Nettles said. "I think it's way more intimate to me and way more personal in the sense that when you collaborate, that's the nature of collaboration, you're affecting each other, and playing with and inspiring each other, and yet there are things that one may not get to do or want to do when collaborating."

The week will mark Nettles' first real return to the spotlight since the birth of her son, Magnus, 11 months ago. Motherhood and marriage have changed Nettles, and she says that will be reflected on "That Girl."

"I'm able to show a side that I think's more womanly," Nettles said. "I think it's more mature, and so that's big for me. I think it gives you perspective all around, not just musically but also in my career. I think you get superefficient because you have to be. You don't worry about things that were superimportant before because you have a baby and you just burn that underbrush out. You feel like a huntress."

9. Hillary plumped up because she was pregnant Miranda just plumped up

10. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

$7.99 pre-order of the Jennifer Nettles CD before 1/14/2014

goHastings.com (use EARLYBIRD coupon for free shipping)

11. pghmusiclover

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Looks a lot different these days.

13. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Yeah. Looks like a generic blonde instead of the quirky girl I fell in love with 10 years ago. Music seems pretty ordinary too, not something that moves me which was her stated intention. Well, maybe it will grow on me.

14. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

I always felt that after Kristen Hall left, the songwriting suffered a bit and the music became bland. Hall's contributions brought an earthiness to their music that is sorely lacking in today's country music.

Happy to see Nettles progressing in her burgeoning pop career, though. "That Girl" has a strong "if Loving You Is Wrong I don't Wanna Be Right" vibe too it.
    At least with her unique voice, she will likely never be just another stereotypical blond light-pop (or pop country as its called) singer.

15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Well, I have loved her voice from day one. I'm not 100% sold on this first single, but I'm willing to give Jennifer the benefit of the doubt because I am a fan. Even this song has grown on me a little bit, so there's hope.

Heck, I'm one of the half dozen people who liked Incredible Machine.

16. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

To me she has always been pretty much a solo act. The guy was more or less just part of the band like the rest of the session guys. She's just taking off the training wheels of the Sugarland name.

Scopitone likes this.
  17. BradOlson

Jennifer's opening act for this tour is singer-songwriter Brandy Clark who has written songs for Kacey Musgraves, The Band Perry, Miranda Lambert and others and has a video on CMT Pure Country for the song "Stripes": www.brandyclarkmusic.com

Here's the video for Stripes:

18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

She does have a great voice. I liked the 'Incredible Machine' album a lot better than it's predecessors. She looks like Faith Hill in the video. I hardly recognised her...

Speaking of which, what the hell happened to Faith Hill's 'new' album? It's been on hold forever...

Back to Jennifer, was 'That Girl' a hit on the country charts?

keyXVII likes this.
  19. BradOlson

It scraped the lower end of the Top 40 but disappeared shortly after.

20. Scopitone

That Girl is now available on amazon.

I just started playing it on MOG. The first track "Falling" starts off quite mellow and then eases into a rootsy groove. So far so good. But you're gonna have to like her voice. ;)

21. BradOlson

22. Scopitone

23. pghmusiclover

"Sugar", a new song from Jennifer is a fun summertime song!

24. pghmusiclover

25. pghmusiclover

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.