Jeremy Clarkson sacked from BBC/Top Gear

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rhubarb9999, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They did the right thing firing Clarkson. Celebrity should not be above decency and ethical behavior.

3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Well, from what I could gather, he did it to himself.

There's a fine line between being funny, and crossing the line. And I say this as someone who is not a fan of being politically correct.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Like the show, but hearing what a general dolt this guy is kinda killed it for me.

Dan C likes this.
  5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Good to hear, he always came across as an overbearing jerk to me.

Halloween_Jack and Taurus like this.
  6. junk

junk Hellion

Love that show and love Jeremy! Yes...he is an ass. So what? He's really and sincerely an equal opportunity hater. Anyone that is offended by his idiocy just doesn't get it. :biglaugh:

goodiesguy, Rufus McDufus and rburly like this.
  7. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed after an "unprovoked physical attack" on a Top Gear producer, the BBC's director general has confirmed.

Tony Hall said he had "not taken this decision lightly" and recognised it would "divide opinion".

However, he added "a line has been crossed" and he "cannot condone what has happened on this occasion".

Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, following what was called a "fracas" with Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon.

The row, which took place in a Yorkshire hotel, was said to have occurred because no hot food was provided for him following a day's filming.

There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations
    Lord Hall, BBC director general
    An internal investigation began last week, led by Ken MacQuarrie, the director of BBC Scotland.

It found that Mr Tymon took himself to hospital after he was subject to an "unprovoked physical and verbal attack".

"During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently."

The verbal abuse "contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack" Mr Tymon, who believed he had lost his job, Mr MacQuarrie noted in his report.

The "physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness," he added.

'Extraordinary contribution'
    Mr Tymon did not file a formal complaint and it is understood Clarkson reported himself to BBC bosses following the incident.

After that, the BBC's director of television, Danny Cohen, felt he had no choice but to suspend the presenter pending an investigation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

8. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

I prefer a good dollop of elitism in a car reviewer, and occasional political 'incorrectness' is a nice bonus. Loved the program and hope Clarkson, May, and Hammond will take an equivalent elsewhere.

9. junk

junk Hellion

10. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Twitter is a bizarre place to be today. It's like an endless parade of people who think the producer deserved it, for not having steak ready for the superstar to eat, and then having the audacity to drive himself to hospital when he was punched in the face.

11. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

But physical assault is not.

No surprise the idiots come out on Twitter over this.

John K.

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Basically he got drunk, belligerent and punched a work colleague. Thats a sackable offence in any company for anyone.

Top Gear was a tired format anyway which makes me wonder if Clarkson did this to give him the appearance of not directly canning the show in it's current format himself.

He can then do a new show for say Netflix (a service with no direct corporate advertising sponsorship to kill a bad car review) and carry on.

Halloween_Jack and Dan C like this.
  13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

zobalob likes this.
  14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Racist, Xenophobic, bigot, deserves all he gets, goodbye and good riddance to UKIP's next leader.

15. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

Didn't say it was. Sounds like a really unfortunate and indefensible incident.

16. Not surprised, but disappointed. Hope the show lives on elsewhere. I am definitely politically incorrect and believe that BBC viewed this as the final straw only because of the politically incorrect things JC had done in the past. If they had not "Drawn a line" regarding the previous incidents, who knows? (not excusing a physical assault)

Without knowing the details of this incident (Yes, I've read the stories/rumors), it's tough to come to a sound conclusion. If a bunch of drunken fools (have you seen the number of empties in front of these guys in some of the episodes?:yikes:) behave in a foolish fashion, why is anybody surprised? The "Victim" declined to file charges and wanted to patch things up. Exactly what kind of assault was it? (yes, IMHO it makes a difference - if JC hauled off and nailed this guy w/o provocation, it is different than 2 guys exchanging words, it escalating to shouting, balled fists/pushing/whatever, and then a punch).

Ah well, as stated elsewhere, the show had become somewhat stale.

Wish them all the best of luck in the future.

junk likes this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I don't get all the PC connotations.

He physically assaulted another human being. End of story.

What he's said/written in the past has nothing to do with it.

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Seems like a fair assessment.

I think he's more likely to take it to Sky. I wonder if Hammond and May will go with him?

And I wonder what happens to the Top Gear print magazine?

19. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

He will be grabbed by another network super fast.

goodiesguy likes this.
  20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

So if a talented guy above you at work got drunk and then went on a racist tirade aimed directly at you and then punched you hard enough to requite stitches, would you just shrug it off as being not 'politically incorrect'?

Clarkson pushed the limits already, sounds like he was on the bubble. All he had to do to keep his job was not punch a guy.

dan c

eddiel, somnar and Vahan like this.
  21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Precisely. I guarantee you all of the wannabe bullies rushing to Clarkson's defense would be just as fast running to human resources if they were on the receiving end of this kind of treatment at their place of employment. Such hypocrisy.

dan c

22. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Alan Partridge please!

23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

This incident is just the final straw.

He has been criticized in the UK for his right wing, racist, bigoted and even homophobic rants on TV shows and in his newspaper columns. The behaviour of the whole Top Gear team whilst filming overseas has also been questioned, when Foreign Goverments complain about your behaviour you can't really go on!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Sky? Dunno, I can imagine the fuss if they slagged off the latest BMW 5 series and then BMW's marketing dept tell Sky they will pull their £5 million advert budget for next year unless the section is pulled from that episode. After all this gets a worldwide audience and the damage can be catastrophic. That's why Top Gear worked on the BBC as it was largely immune from commercial interference. It has to move to a network that doesn't rely on advertising to run.

Chances are it will be Sky but it will be a VERY different show if it does go there.

zobalob, Sneaky Pete and jimod99 like this.
  25. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Finally. Always funny to me when people get all worked up about replacing the host of a TV show. Granted there aren't a million people who could do as good (or better) a job, but there are certainly a few hundred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.