Jeremy Clarkson sacked from BBC/Top Gear

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rhubarb9999, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of Piers Morgan, but I wouldn't go that far and say that he is NEVER right about anything.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

I noticed people are saying that he shouldn't be fired if his actions happened during out of work hours.

Tell me what you guys think about that.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That actually makes sense to me.

goodiesguy and Vahan like this.
  4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Shrugging off antisocial or discriminatory behaviour as 'only joking' is a classic bullying response. This is well documented, e.g.:

http://www.risk-within-reason.com/2013/01/18/just-a-joke-and-things-bullies-say/

Clarkson's behaviour over a period of many years isn't a persona he can switch on and off at will; his offscreen antics prove that. The man is a bully through and through.

Vidiot and Deesky like this.
  5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Catering after a day's shooting is work-related. If they were in a hotel because a shoot took them away from home, that's work-related.

razerx, Vidiot, zobalob and 1 other person like this.
  6. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

That's why I said I'm curious ... will he change it, can he change it. Time will tell and on some level we'll be able to get some idea of or to what extent JC Top Gear and JC the car journalist are the same as JC the person. I've never met the person so I can't judge.

7. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

True, because as they say in the Ol' South : "Even the blindest, stupidest pig roots up the odd kernel of corn."

D.D.

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah he nailed it big time there. I know a few people that stopped watching the show after seeing that.

He has a couple of other bits about Hammond too.

zobalob and eddiel like this.
  9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Anyone who lays hands on anyone, no matter where, but yes....in a work situation deserves to be not only canned, and banned, but to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

aussievinyl, Vahan and Standoffish like this.
  10. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

Stewart Lee is the worst type of 'comedian', getting giggles from his his smug sychophantic audience by attacking easy targets rather than being funny. Makes me cringe.

smilin ed, DLeet and rburly like this.
  11. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Been rewatching some old episodes... man.. where else do you get Nick Mason coming on the show and comparing Enzo Ferrarri and his book? XD

where else and on which show do you get Eric Clapton for several seconds playing to demonstrate that some car has a good battery charge???

Where do you see Mike Rutherford trying his best on the new reasonably priced car?

junk and SMcFarlane like this.
  12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

13. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Still gutted about this. TG was the only show I ever really cared about. Yes the show was wearing thin because it had to fall under the BBC and maintain the popular levels of silliness. Yes JC was always pushing the envelope, but the backlash at times was just beyond ridiculous. But for it to happen this way was very sad, and that the BBC handled it in such a way whilst continuing to milk reruns on other outlets is what gets me seeing red.

Hopefully everyone involved can move on and get some sort of clarity. In a way, it's probably a good thing that Clarkson and Wilman sold the TG rights as they had in a way been imprisoned by the very changes they had introduced to freshen and liven up such a dreary motoring program. I would give anything to see something new with the three (because if you remove any one of them it simply does not work. Thus even the Hammond and May solo shows never could hold my interest.) and cannot see either Hamster or the Captain soldiering on on whatever mindless TG branded replacement the BBC cooks up.

And of course all this had to happen during the first year episodes were simultaneously broadcast and unedited. For years to get my TG fix I had to result to scowering everywhere to find the episodes uncut and without all the music replaced. Even the video releases are usually edited and very half-assed.

Personally I'm done with the BBC. Don't care whatsoever anymore. (The fact that death threats have come though is wholly wrong.)

14. junk

junk Hellion

The show is clearly not for the fainthearted. :buttkick:

15. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

Any updates on what Clarkson is up to now if anything ?

16. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Clarkson, May and Hammond are producing a new show for Amazon set to premier next year. Meanwhile, a plaque commemorating the incident that ended his BBC career has been unveiled:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34910367

17. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

[​IMG]

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The new show on Amazon Prime will be called The Grand Tour and starting Autumn 2016.

fitzysbuna and rburly like this.
  19. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

First episode of new BBC Top Gear with Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc was awful. Just awful. Worse than US Top Gear.

20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

It really wás, wasn't it?
    Chris Evans was SHOUTING all the time, there were just games and matches, and practically no humour.
    Even in the last few seasons with the ''old team'' there was at least one laugh per episode. They even botched up the lap by adding a rally-element and pitching two guests against each other, which only gave us more shouting by Chris Evans. I'll be watching the next few episode, but there's a real possibility the BBC have just messed up a certain crowd-pleaser.

Rufus McDufus and junk like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What happened to his CNN talk show, that was brilliant ?

22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Evans looks like a cartoon version of Adam Savage.

23. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The only positive thing about last night's episode was that they played a bit of Iron Maiden's 'Aces High' during the intro to the Top Gun segment.

Yovra likes this.
  24. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow .. that sucked ... WOW !

mdm08033 and Rufus McDufus like this.
  25. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

No one watched. He was canceled. IIRC, his rating fell to the circa 20,000 total viewers level - which was worse than a medium to small market local news broadcast.

When Morgan left there was a 'face saving' statement that he was working out future projects with CNN that have never (unsurprisingly) materialized.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.