Jerry Fuller and the Amazing True Story of Ricky Nelson's "Travelin' Man"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mpayan, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off Thread Starter

One of the most infectious songs ever. Great story how this song was meant for another famous fellow and almost wasnt heard at all!

Adkchaz, mlew, Greenalishi and 15 others like this.
  2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Wow...great story! Thanks for posting that. I love the Rick Nelson original and would have loved to have heard a Sam Cooke version, but I wonder how -- in this 'what if?' scenario -- it would have been arranged? Cooke would have had the perfect voice for it, but production...If they'd put strings behind or it or something it would have been messed up in my mind. The sparse rockabilly combo sound on the hit Nelson version is just about perfect IMO.

3. mpayan

Oh yeah, the stars were obviously aligned and there should be no other version but Rick Nelsons.

But you can hear the arrangement and Sam singing in your minds ear too, right? I sure can.

Wonder why the guy tossed the demo? Ego? Wrong song for Sam? Hated the song?

4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

What an incredible songwriter. I know that Rick recorded several of Jerry's songs, and 'It's Up To You' also has that trademark style.

5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I wouldn't have till Fuller pointed it out in the vid, but after that I sure can, too.

Very hard to tell...I think has an instantaneous, catchy melody hook -- hit record writ big all over it. Crazy.

6. mpayan

bump for those who havent seen :)

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Jerry Fuller is an overlooked but excellent songwriter/producer.

His solo album on MCA, from 1989, It's My Turn Now, is pretty good (never on CD).

He also wrote what's arguably the best pop song that the reformed Walker Brothers did in the '70s (Lines).

McLover and mpayan like this.
  8. mpayan

Bump for the cool video

9. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

This is one of the best things I've seen here. Ever. Thanks mpayan!!

10. mpayan

11. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

good stuff! I just stumbled on this video on youtube and was gonna post it!
    mpayan got in early! another bump!

12. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Jerry's slower arrangement would have been PERFECT for Sam Cooke! It's got a bit of a "Take A Letter Maria" vibe to it.

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Haven’t watched video yet. Is that the same guy that wrote a lot of those Gary Puckett hits?

14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes.

Being a total music nerd, I like to think I know about pretty much everyone like Jerry, but his story had escaped me.

"Travelin' Man", "It's Up To You", and "Young World" are among my favorite Rick Nelson songs so shame on me for not knowing about Jerry Fuller before seeing this video.

According to Wiki he also discovered the Knickerbockers and produced "Lies."
    Thanks to mpayan for posting the video , which I finally saw tonight .

And yes, now that it has been brought up and Jerry did a little bit of it in Sam Cooke's style, I can totally picture him doing the song.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Adkchaz, Rick Bartlett and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.