Jerry Rivers - Stories and Great Fiddle Music As Played by Jerry Rivers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

This compilation of stuff recorded in the early 1960s for Starday (released by Gusto on CD just recently and you can contact Gusto at www.gustorecords.com, go on Ernest Tubb Record Shop's website and already order the CD, soon to be able to be ordered from Amazon, CD Universe, your indie CD store, etc. on May 17) has lots of great fiddle music and stories behind many of the songs as told to children by Hank Williams' famous fiddler Jerry Rivers. This CD is a reissue of the Starday LP "Fantastic Fiddlin' and Tall Tales" which is exactly what this consists of. "Bill Cheatham" isn't on the CD although the various artists compilation that it was released on in 1964 on LP, Fiddler's Hall of Fame, has been released on CD in the 1990s, and I have just ordered the VA comp off of eBay.

Here is the comp with Bill Cheatham on eBay (as of now): http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiddlers-Hall-o...&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=8366871667531513466

The Story of the Fiddle, which is on the CD was also on the Unforgettable Instrumentals various artists comp LP on Starday and a few of the tracks on the CD have been issued on other Gusto VA comps issued in the past.

The track listing of the album
    THE STORY OF THE FIDDLE
    IRISH WASHWOMAN
    FUNNY SONG TITLES
    FISHER’S HORNPIPE
    OLD SONGS & NEW SONGS
    PADDY ON THE TURNPIKE
    EVENTS REMEMBERED IN SONG
    FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN
    THE SQUARE DANCE
    SKIP TO MY LOU
    THE SQUARE DANCE CALLER
    TENNESSEE WAGGONER
    SOUNDS FROM EVERYDAY LIFE
    LISTEN TO THE MOCKINGBIRD
    DIFFERENT STYLES OF FIDDLE PLAYING
    JOYS OF QUEBEC
    CAJUN STYLE FIDDLE
    JOLE BLON
    THE POLKA
    JESSE POLKA
    BLUEGRASS SOUND
    MOLLY 7 TENBROOKS
    THE COWBOY WAY
    RED RIVER VALLEY
    THE FIDDLE STARTS TO SWING
    WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN
    THE SOUND OF WESTERN SWING
    SWING FIDDLE (known as Western Swing Fiddler on the LP)

(LP catalog number - SLP-281 and the CD catalog number is GT7-2190-2)

2. BradOlson

I will attach the CD and LP covers of "Fiddler's Hall of Fame" comp that has Bill Cheatham in this post.

The larger image is that of the LP, and the smaller image is that of the CD.

3. BradOlson

Hank fans, you do need this Jerry Rivers album in your collection. The Fiddler's Hall of Fame comp is OOP unfortunately but if you come across this album on LP or CD, snatch it up.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have an autographed copy of Jerry's Book with HANK WILLIAMS...a nice treasure of mine.:) Love his fiddle playing...

5. BradOlson

You will need to get Jerry's own CD Michael and get the last copy of the Fiddler's Hall of Fame CD if you don't have it

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My uncle has the original LP, I needledropped this for him. Excellent music. Recommended to all fiddle fans and bluegrass/folk/Americana lovers. Excellent sonics the original Starday LP has, hope the CD is excellent.

7. BradOlson

The CD has equally excellent sonics

8. BradOlson

This would be a perfect candidate for a 180g vinyl reissue

9. BradOlson

The first track on the Jerry Rivers album is "Forked Deer"

10. BradOlson

I have just gotten the Fiddler's Hall of Fame CD and this CD is great. I have heard a few dropouts on some tracks but for the most part, the CD is very well mastered from great tape sources. I give this a B in sound quality of the mastering, and A+ for the music.

11. BradOlson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.