Jesus and Mary Chain enter studio for the first time in 17 years

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HiFi Guy 008, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Yep, I should play "Psychocandy" today. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

2. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Finish my first listen to the new album. Frankly there wasn't anything very memorable. It doesn't help that the record is a little too long, so songs tend to blend into each other. Will insist later.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Ugh. $17 DHL shipping to Tokyo for a signed album that costs $32, but I did it. I'm a sucker for signed albums, and I figure I'm still ahead. I ordered their Vinyl collection box a couple of years ago from Amazon UK because it was under 100 GBP, and it just never came. I gave up and forgot about it - even bought a couple of reissued vinyl pressings. But, I forgot to cancel the order and one day, well over a year later and long after it had gone out of print, it just showed up in a box from Amazon Germany I think. I never opened it; but have been waiting for a good day - I think I'll do it when I receive the new vinyl. I'll have a J&MC weekend and I'll drive my wife out of the house.

SammyJoe, jamesc and Neonbeam like this.
  4. So are the album versions of the songs released in advance the same as the pre-release versions? I'd imagine so but the first one at least kind of sounded like a demo or rough mix to me.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha, I almost ordered the signed vinyl. Then I thought: "Hey why pay 42€ for a signed album when I can pay 61€ for a signed album, a signed print, two signed lyric sheets, a CD and - very important - a cassette!"

From time to time I'm contemplating cancelling because I don't have high expectations but then again the Metacritic score is somewhat encouraging. And it would be the first JMC album I don't have.

SammyJoe and jamesc like this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The bundle is a much better deal, but I need to self-impose some limits. I would buy the vinyl regardless, so it was just the extra £15 or so to get a signed copy from the web store.

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident

Any news on where the new album was cut and pressed?

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'd be interested as well, although I'll know for sure in a couple of days.

9. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

i'll just get the regular LP in a couple weeks for like $20 hopefully

10. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

This will easily go down as the weakest record in their catalog,but I wasn't expecting much. It's pleasant,but absolutely nothing stands out or compares to past efforts and Youth's influence is non existent...and half the record is basically a showcase for four different female singers that all sound very similar to each other,but never hit the groove like Hope Sandoval did.

11. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Get ready for the Retirement Tour...

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great news.

13. Neonbeam

Played "The Sound Of Speed" last night and once again noticed that the JMC possibly might be the only band where I like the sound enough to ignore everything else. Just those vocals, that guitar, the way certain words/ topics keep coming up again and again. Dead cool!

iainoco, Turntable and pablorkcz like this.
  14. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Counterpoint: Love it. A worthy addition to their catalog. Picks up where Munki left off. The melodies and hooks are there. The sleaze ball lyrics about sex, drugs, pop culture (Kurt Cobain, Christopher Walken, the Kennedy's) are there. Jim sounds great and unmistakably like Jim in voice and delivery, and William's guitar anti-heroism is present - though not quite the squall of Psychocandy or Honey's Dead, but I wasn't expecting that anyway.

This is latter day Mary Chain sounding like latter day Mary Chain (Stoned and Dethroned/Munki), and I'm glad to have them back.

iainoco, jimhb, Turntable and 3 others like this.
  15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@Neonbeam do you have the album on preorder?
    If you have, then what configuration you got?
    I think the couple songs and comments just sound really promising, so Im on the fence of getting some signed edition.
    I might get the regular vinyl from usual stores anyways but this time it might be worthy to support the bands official store.

16. Neonbeam

After considering it, I chose the vinyl, photo, two lyric sheets (all signed), cd and cassette option just because it was only 20€ more than the signed vinyl alone. I figure I could sell cassette and cd and maybe reclaim 10, 15€.

The reviews Metacritic has so far, are surprisingly good. Plus the fact that this is the Jesus And Mary Chain. If I had trusted critics I never would have made it past "Psychocandy".

But.... yeah.... friends ridicule me because I spend 60€ on a new JMC album. One going even as far as claiming that these were 100% fake signatures because William "couldn't be bothered signing his name 5000 times".

I. Don't. Know.

SammyJoe likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

Love these two albums so I won't cancel my preorder:righton:

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I ordered the album today, I had to...
    Really looking forward to this new album and by the way, after thinking a bit of different configurations, I decided to go and get the same bundle as yours since it was the best of the bunch.
    No really need for Super Deluxe-bundle with it's test-pressing (that bundle seems to have soldout now already) and I don't also need badges or shirt, so the decision was easy.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Neonbeam likes this.
  19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@Neonbeam I forgot to mention earlier: thanks for mentioning your bundle choice and it made me serious think of getting anything else but the usual vinyl from local store.
    It's good to give support straight to the bands/artists and buy stuff from their webstores. I see that they already dispatched my bundle (which seems to also soldout by now on the pages).

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

..... yes, the stuff has already been dispatched. And finally certain bundles are starting to sell out.

21. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I see from the posted soundcheck video Phil King from Lush is back with JAMC on bass.

BadJack likes this.
  22. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

24. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Sounds pretty good! Listening on Spotify Premium and waiting for my signed album to arrive...

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Just taken delivery of the signed vinyl. Am now about half way through and really enjoying it so far. Great to have them back..

Mr Olsen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.