Jesus Christ Superstar as an NBC Live Musical for Easter 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Exactly right.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Which you can find on the original brown album from 1970 and the 1973 movie soundtrack.

3. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I only saw the last hour. I didn’t care for Dixon’s performance. He seemed like he was lip syncing some? And a little pitchy here and there near the end.

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I liked it alright. The original album is always my reference and preference. I saw Alice Cooper last week and after he introduced the band, he said, “The role of Alice Cooper was played by King Herod!”

SandAndGlass, Tanx, mmars982 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Judas has the best role in JCSS.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I know this material inside out and thought it was excellent, especially for a live performance. The production was modern with only small but tasteful alterations from the original. I like that they didn't try to reinvent the wheel with this version. Maybe that's because Webber and Rice were involved.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What a SCREAM.

8. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I know the music is actually the star here, but this was an excellent adaptation. Yes, Gillian, and Elliman, and Murray Head nailed their parts 45 years ago, but tonight's performance was (IMNSHO) just as good in its own way.

9. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

And when those guys nailed it decades ago they didn't have to perform it live on network TV while dancing around in front of cameras and a studio audience. Legend et. al had only one shot to get it right!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Aggie87, utopiarun, markshan and 3 others like this.
  10. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Actually, "Could We Start Again, Please" made its first appearance in the Broadway production of 1971. It was not yet written when the original concept album was released.

11. EddieMann

I'm glad it was included tonight. Its a very fine song.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I like the song but it feels out of place to me, probably because I'm so accustomed to the original double LP sequence.

utopiarun likes this.
  13. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Totally forgot this was happening. Look forward to watching it in the coming days. Seems people like it!

O Don Piano likes this.
  14. EddieMann

You're right. But when I burned my original lp to cd, I added the two songs from the film soundtrack (CWSA is one of them) to the mix. I'm kind of used to it now.

SandAndGlass and SteelyNJ like this.
  15. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

We thought it was an excellent production.
    Powerful.

16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I am REALLY enjoying this!
    It's refreshing that they didn't try to make the score's musical vocabulary sound "modern".

Yes, the crowd (who probably has never heard the music before) is annoying though.

It's a testament to the score that even though the original LP has it's own iconic vocal identity and production quality, this is very good and stands on it's own.

EddieMann likes this.
  17. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Yes, it's a great score and I thought it was very well done. I really enjoyed it. I'm glad the crowd calmed down after they were very loud at the start.

No Static and O Don Piano like this.
  18. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Clips of the show are posted on NBC's YouTube page. The full concert is not available yet:

NBC

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  19. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Alice Cooper was great!
    Since he has a special interest in the story, he played Herod to the hilt!

dlokazip likes this.
  20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I caught parts of the show, maybe an hour of it. I was quite enthralled by it. I thought it was well done.

O Don Piano likes this.
  21. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Just finished watching the entire production, and was pleasantly surprised that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very well done! :righton:

dasacco and dlokazip like this.
  22. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I thought Alice was the weak point. Dixon was AMAZING! I've never seen Hamilton, but now I understand why secondary market tickets can reach four figures.

EddieMann likes this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I enjoyed what I saw of it. I love that they’re doing Live theater on network TV once a year. This one seemed the least technically challenging with the essentially static set. Hated the cued audience. Thought most of the performances were strong. John Legend is certainly a talented guy and strong singer but thought he was really out of his depth as an actor, especially when he wasn’t singing.
    It’s a really tough gig though, so hats off to all.

24. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I enjoyed most of it. The vocal mix for the first half sounded awful, but maybe that's due to my old TV and old ears.

Legend was good--out of his depth, but I don't blame NBC for adding a household name. Dixon was amazing. Bareilles left me cold. I don't mind her style, but I didn't find it suited to this music. Alice was a highlight for me--anyone else catch the "we are not worthy" bows from the cast?

I find these NBC productions pretty uneven but will always watch them without fail, because nothing beats a live performance in my book.

chacha likes this.
  25. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I enjoyed it as well. Very well done.

And yes Alice Cooper was fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.