Jesus Christ Superstar as an NBC Live Musical for Easter 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

True. I've been revisting the original album since watching this and have a new appreciation for it.

Oh, I didn't know that. Makes more sense now. He is absolutely perfect for it. I thought this was new for him, and it sounded like the director of this production had some specific ideas for him and I assumed it was a new thing. If I ever got the chance to see an onstage production with him in it, I'd go.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Tim Rice wanted Cooper. They are friends and Cooper played Herod on one of the recordings from around a decade or so ago. So yes not a New idea.

MikaelaArsenault and mmars982 like this.
  3. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I watched 4 or 5 songs online.

It was pretty good.

The guy playing Simon Zellots really went for the gusto.

The original concept album is unbeatable though. It contains no fat nor dead air.

4. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Finally saw it a couple hours ago. It really was a great production! Hopefully they keep getting better and better.

5. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

I thought they did a wonderful job with the show!

My favorite is that original album. The singers are great and the band cooks

Anyone know which is the next tv musical they’re doing?

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think it is planned to be Bye Bye Birdie in 2019.

Allen Michael likes this.
  7. Still haven't watched the new, live version -- but I've got it on my DVR, and hope to get to it this weekend.

ALSO, wasn't there a 2CD remake of the entire JCS back in the late 90's maybe, with all women musicians? I seem to remember a bunch of Indigo Girls involvement, maybe? Pretty good reimagining (the all-female version, iirc) - but it's been years since I've heard it.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yep, surprised anyone else remembered it.

https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Christ-Superstar-Resurrection-Studio/dp/B0000018CA

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This one? Not all women, but the Indigo Girls are definitely there.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Christ...703&sr=8-9&keywords=jesus+christ+superstar+cd

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Love this review/product description:

Amazon.com
    What a bizarre concept. Let's get together a whole slew of folkies who, for some inexplicable reason, loved the soundtrack for the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar and rerecord all the songs. Why? To satisfy some childhood obsession, it seems. This has to be the least relevant album of all time. Perhaps if those involved reinterpreted the opera, updated it, gave it some kind of new light or understanding. But that doesn't happen--the versions here offer nothing over the original. Remarkably, this is even worse than the soundtrack to the movie version, which featured the annoying vocals of Ted Neely as Jesus. How do you top that? How about enlisting Amy Ray of the Indigo Girls to play Jesus? Sheesh. --Tod Nelson

Mazzy and Scotian like this.
  11. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

This video is....interesting.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm an Indigos fan...and I couldn't take but one pass through it. If I were building a mix of all the different sources I have for JCS as a mix tape, definitely would use about 3, eh, maybe 2 tracks from it.

13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Melanie C's take on Mary Magdelene in the 2012 stage production is one of the most interesting ones ever for me.

Stingfan80 likes this.
  14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

They should have casted someone with a voice like this instead of John Legend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.