Jesus Christ Superstar

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doglover, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

On a separate note, the movie OST is in desperate need of a decent remaster; the existing CD version is pretty awful but the blu-ray (and even DVD) of it sound much better.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

3. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I bought THAT particular CD version precisely because quite a few people here in THIS forum recommended it. I didn't look at any graphs or DR values; all I can tell you is that it sounds very good.

pdenny likes this.
  4. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I think this is the original thread where it was discussed at length:
    New Remaster of Jesus Christ Superstar

The reviews get going with posts after the July 16, 2012 release date, somewhere around page 3.

5. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I love the Webber/Rice musicals to death, and although I'm sure I'm alone in this opinion, I really believe that the 1996 studio cast recording is the best recording of this magnificent show. My ultimate JCS mixtape would combine performances from multiple recordings across the decades, but if I'm going to listen to a single recording, the 1996 version is my go-to CD.

6. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I've always hoped for a SACD multichannel version of the 1970 London (brown) album. ALWebber said somewhere the 2012 remaster would be the best it's could get.

7. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

I have a remastered copy with Ian Gillan, & Yvonne Eleman? To me this is the best release available. My copy came in a small box similar to the original vinyl release . I purchased my copy from Russia. Also I have a remastered copy with the original cover that was released overseas and banned in N/A. At work today so I dont have the CDs in front of me to see what label they were released on. But they both sound awesome!

Rhinojack likes this.
  8. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I always wanted a Russian copy. I have two vinyl sets (one Decca and one MCA) and have had 3 CD sets. (the first issue, the white double, and the 2012 remaster). Like others have said here, the 1970 brown original London concept album is the only one that matters.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

These Superstar threads are a nightmare: every one of 'em has a dozen people posting either the same or a different link to the same, or different, mastering, all either doing so "because THAT's the one they were talking about", or, "you mean THIS one[/I]...and no thread would be complete without a knock on the film soundtrack, a confused posting of a new remaster, a reference to "this one, and that one, and the other one over there" being all the same, except where there's yet another one that's closer to a copy of the original...only it was sung by the cast of The Goonies.

And really (aside from the pining of a 5.1 possibility, Ian Gillian secretly re-singing his part on a film master somewhere, the ultimate, sparkly, sub-zero needledrop made on a Russian submarine below the coast of Antarctica is being sneaked into several older versions...and of course, the fever dream that all the other recordings of this would just go away...), evey thread is just trying to get the original recording, as close to the highest fidelity as achieveable, with a brown cover, a stamp on the back saying, "okay, this is really, really, REALLY the only one you will ever need" on HDCD/Blu-Spec/SHM-SACD/DSD/MQA/Ultra 32-bit...or, on a little flash drive shaped like a green apple.

That's it. That's all they really want: the original, right color cover, right singers doing it the first time, from a master that will never be bettered, or a lower-generation dub discovered, or a laser that can scan the air in the vault and re-create the one that was sitting right over there until some dimwit spilled teriyaki sauce all over it, and pronoounced it, "missing".

:idea: Maybe the Gorts could combine all the threads-! :eek::pug::wantsome::crazy::tsk::ignore:

10. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Did you remember to take your meds this morning?? :sigh:

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Actually, I was scheduled for a stress test, but I had to skip a couple for the test..which, as it turns out, could not be taken because it would have driven my blood pressure higher...because they didn't want me to take them!

Oddly enough, this doesn't affect my impressions of every thread on JCS I've ever read through here.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Nothing in my opinion.... I have the first 1970 decca release on cassette and its fabulous! (Im sure the original first record release is good also)

14. The white covered Gold cd is fantastic.

oboogie likes this.
  15. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Just freaking buy the Ian Gillian brown album version and be bloody happy you did the right thing,,, dime a dozen on discogs...love Chardonnay ...wha?

uzn007 likes this.
  16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

IIRC, the original US Decca set was on those thin discs.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There were lots of RCA Record club copies on Dynaflex, and they sounded fine back then.

18. Carl Swanson

I was referring to the retail issue. I was working in a record store when it came out, and bought a copy. It may not have been as "floppy" as the RCA Dynaflex, but it was no heavyweight.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I knew what you meant.

Do you remember the Box Sets? They were the first ones to hit stores.

20. Carl Swanson

Yep. Had me one. It's probably still in my brother's house in Omaha.

21. That 1970 original LP set in the box on Decca sounded fantastic.

The gold CD w the white cover is my favorite CD version.

22. Carl Swanson

Had the LPs, have the white CD.

23. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

uzn007 likes this.
  24. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

25. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I stand corrected, I thought I saw that somewhere that there were two different covers for the original concept album. Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.