Jet (Paul McCartney & Wings) - What Is It About?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrMudPuppy, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I never thought much of the meaning of this song (Jet by Paul McCartney & Wings). That was until Jellyfish covered it (live) and noted, "This is, arguably, the sexiest song ever written. Both you and I know what ‘Jet’ really means." (scratches head). No. I have no clue what it means. Do any of you know what this song is about, or is this just one of those musical mysteries?

Jet, jet, jet
    I can almost remember their funny faces
    That time you told 'em
    That you were going to be marrying soon
    And Jet, I thought the only lonely place was on the moon

Jet, jet, jet
    Was your father as bold as a sergeant major?
    Well, how come he told you
    That you were hardly old enough yet
    And Jet, I thought the major was a lady suffragette

Jet, jet
    Ah mater, want Jet to always love me?
    Ah mater, much later

Jet
    And Jet, I thought the major was a lady suffragette

Jet, jet
    Ah mater, much later

Jet
    With the wind in your hair of a thousand laces
    Climb on the back and we'll go for a ride in the sky
    And Jet, I thought the major was a little lady suffragette

Jet, jet
    And Jet, you know I thought you was a little lady suffragette

Jet
    A little lady, my little lady, yes

Fullbug likes this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Novel idea: It doesn't mean anything at all. :D

Odysseus and Ignatius like this.
  3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

A guy marrying/ eloping/ running away with/ having sex (take your pick) with his girlfriend (she's pregnant) and her parents aren't that crazy about the situation.

There are some nonsense phrases to satisfy the metre, rhyme and mood of the song, but this is a tune that really should not be analyzed too much - and yes some of the lyrics do not stand up to a rigorous, strictly logical examination. (e.g. Are we to assume that the "major" really is the girl's mother aka "mater"? Or is the "major" really the father as in "the sergeant major"?)

Crimson jon and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  4. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

Isnt it obvious? she's up the pole, as it were, the dad is not thrilled, but they HAVE to get married. And the father had wanted so much more for his daughter than just being a housewife/mother. That's my take on it anyway.....

5. Jet was also the name of Paul McCartney's black lab. Yet another one of his "dog" songs--along with "Martha My Dear" . . .

6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yeah. But other than immortalizing his beloved pet's name, I'm not sure what Jet (the dog) has to do with the lyrical narrative. :laugh: It's best just to enjoy the song without thinking too much about it.

7. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Yeah I kind of always thought that once I found it out. So I didn't read to much into the lyrics at all except them being a fun rhyme.

8. BeatleJWOL

:help:
    How much time did you people spend even coming up with the slightest clue what the thing's about.

Those are seconds that could save your LIFE later... :laugh:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  9. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

then again, what good is a long life if you don't know The Meaning Of Things? :D

bzfgt, 2141, Gardo and 1 other person like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

Including those things that clearly have no meaning whatsoever? :p

Besides, a better way to phrase the second half of the thread title would have been "What's it all about? (C Moon)" :D

Figure THAT little ditty out, you intellectuals in training :p

Hamhead likes this.
  11. stevenm

stevenm New Member

In another Paul McCartney thread I asked what 'C Moon' was all about, and then realised that McCartney was just bein nonsensical. I love Macca, but I find if I try to look closer at some of his lyrics I get disappointed. Best just to enjoy the melodies and vocal sounds.

That said, he HAS written many wonderful lyrics as well.

andrewskyDE and nowhereman87 like this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Like most of his solo work, it don't mean much. It's a great track tho.

13. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It's another example of one of Paul's narrative songs. Similar to Ob La Di, Ob La Da, Penny Lane, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Mrs. Vandebilt and others where he tells a story, but it means nothing and it's about no one in particular. John was always a little envious Paul could write songs like this so easily, though John did it too (Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill) but typically his songs were more personal. I recall Paul saying he heard or read a story from WWI, the headlines involving a sergeant major, suffragette and marriage...and for whatever reason he injected the name of his dog as the title character. It's actually quite difficult to write this way, but Paul does it quite well. Great tune to boot. Ron

14. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

First time I ever heard this. Where do you get this from?

15. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Many interviews. I wasn't referring to Jet specifically, but the fact that Paul could write narrative songs that weren't about him, or his life... just a little story seemingly written on the spot. I'm at work so I can't find specific quotes, but I've heard and read John say this. Ron

PS It's possible John says this during the Playboy interviews when he discusses every Beatle song. It may be in the Anthology book too... sorry I can't be more definitive.

16. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Believe it or not I think Paul has a fairly detailed explaination of C-Moon - probably someone explained that in the thread better than I'm about to... something to do with the opposite of being square (L7). And I think when he decided that C Moon was the opposite of L7 he got inspired with the words like "how come no one older than me never seems to understand..." I don't remember it all off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure that McCartney wouldn't agree C Moon is about flat out nothing.

MikeVielhaber and theMess like this.
  17. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I can't remember if he said he envied it, or admired it, or just acknowledged it. He certainly commented on it though. He described how Paul could just make up stuff to write about, while he had to have some life experience or feeling. I think its in the Playboy Interview.

Glenn Christense and theMess like this.
  18. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

He descibed this before he played the song at his 2002 shows.

theMess likes this.
  19. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

I don't know what he's singing about, but it doesn't matter to me because the song is just so good.

When he sings "climb on the back and we'll go for a ride in the sky" I don't think it could be any more perfect. Something about that line and the way it's sung is amazing.

I've read the lyrics and I can't figure them out, so I'm no help here...but, oh, what a great song. :righton:

theMess and AlexHeartMother like this.
  20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

And I really think Linda's voice adds a lot to the backing vocals.

21. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I had always heard "Jet" was the name of one of Linda's black horses.

Derek

22. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I'm dense. What lyric suggests she's pregnant or "up the pole"? I never got that.

23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

It's a subjective inference drawn from the narrative of the girl telling her parents that she's getting married soon and they are NOT happy about it, and (IMO) it has something to do with the way that line is vocally delivered. It's a matter of interpretation. (I sometimes get the feeling that we are to infere that she's telling them that she HAS to get married and soon.)

The song works just as well for me if the parents object to the marriage or just the relationship with the boyfriend/ narrator for any reason - pregnant or not.

And maybe some of us just have our minds in the gutter. :agree: LOL.

BTW, this thread is the first time I have ever heard the slang "up the pole" (meaning to be pregnant).

24. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

What's a suffragette???

Lightworker and Keith V like this.
  25. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

A female advocate in the 19th and early 20th Centuries for the right to vote for women.

marklamb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.