Jethro Tull 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Sep 3, 2017.

1. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

"There simply was no more space for another plastic tray for the fifth disc inside the Digibook"

there is a Anthony phillips anthology that has 5 discs all on the plastic trays in a digibook. so it is possible but they are overlapped to a annoying degree and honestly held in too snugly so I am always afraid I am gonna snap it getting it out.

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes I have an ELP set with 5 discs snugged in the plastic trays the way you are saying

footlooseman likes this.
  3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

You brought up some good points in your post about a 5th Disc, but the problem is that people from what I have read on here, have received Damaged Disc in New/Sealed Box Sets, so the damage has already been done and will not matter at that point how careful you are with that 5th disc. Seems like people are getting replacement Box Sets, and still are getting scratched 5th discs. Although, not sure how prevalent this problem is and if more people are not getting damaged 5th discs.

4. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

I really need Stormwatch remix please. And A, and Broadsword, and Under Wraps. Not some compilations by 50-50 cent.

Grassy Sound likes this.
  5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Update: I picked up the 3CD 50 For 50 set. I have all the material, but I figured it would be good for the car, and with my discount card it cost me less than $21. In the liner notes, Ian says he fully expects "disappointment, anger and vitriol in various measures on fan forums and social media," but "this album collection is less for the die-hard fan and more for the new and curious listener. Or it might be for the lapsed old fan."

Two quick observations:
    As I had rather pessimistically expected, the Thick as a Brick excerpt (the first two sections, filling the first five minutes of the album) has an abrupt and unsatisfying ending. On the album, the concluding fourteen-note figure is played twice by the full band, and then twice very softly on the Hammond organ, and then there's a big, climactic chord. As the chord decays, there are three taps on a tambourine, and then two bass notes lead into "The Poet and the Painter" section. When they divvied up the tracks for digital downloads, the huge chord became the beginning of "Poet..." even though, to me, it makes more sense as the conclusion of "See There a Son Is Born." On the new compilation, you hear the organ figure - "diddle diddle dee, diddle diddle dee, doot doot deet deet" - and then it just cuts off. A moment of silence, and then "Moths" from 1978.

Also, the CD text that scrolls when I play the disc says that "Sweet Dream" is the 2001 remaster (i.e., the 1972 stereo mix included on the 2001 Stand Up reissue), but that version has the vocals double-tracked in the verses. On the new compilation, the vocals are single-tracked on the verses. I think they (accidentally?) used the 1969 stereo mix, which was unreleased until the 2013 Steven Wilson Benefit. I don't know of any other variant mixes on the set; that one stood out because of the immediately obvious difference in the vocal track.

ParloFax, FritzL and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

No news in the A new yesterday fanzine preview on Amazon. Anyone read it fully?
    It says "many goodies in the pipeline"...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

not sure if this is posted elsewhere but Martin Barres 50th tour is confirmed.

or at least one show so far at Rosfest

Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour
    Performed by original band members:
    Martin Barre
    Clive Bunker
    Jonathan Noyce

ya it says original band members guess original applies to the word band not to the word members?

8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Need info on This Was book set release track listing how many disc pictures of set, so looking forward to it

9. Daniel Falaschi

Nothing has surfaced so far. I am confident that in inspite of the limited the band had in the studio to record This Was, something new will appear. We have been told about lots of goodies.
    On the other hand, I am worried about the book...I mean I have noy seen more than 6-7 pictures of the Mick Abrahams line up.:eek::shake:

tinnox likes this.
  10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Would like to hear something about this set soon :waiting:

DreamTull likes this.
  11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Shouldn't we hear something soon for a release date for This Was book set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

dog im so on this, i cant believe Clive Bunkers coming back to America, this is insane- i never thought id get to see an original member of Jethro Tull (crying emoji)

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  13. Daniel Falaschi

They said October at some point. Maybe it's a bit delayed, but we should hear from it soon.

tinnox likes this.
  14. Daniel Falaschi

I wonder if the planned live tracks that were left out 50x50 are being released as a retrospective live set anytime soon. IA spoke of "live stuff" comming out this year. Well, maybe not this year but why not next year?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Kim Olesen, Matthew Tate and tinnox like this.
  15. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

He did say their would multiple things going on for their 50th, one can only hope a stand alone live release would happen but I am not complaining do to all the excellent live recordings being released in the book sets in which is another reason I am looking forward to This Was release and the upcoming Stormwatch as well, these book sets are treasure troves.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Plan9, tinnox and Jack like this.
  17. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

18. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

For the first time think i am going to pass. I am more than happy with my previous remix edition. There is not enough new material to really get me excited.

20. Daniel Falaschi

The german magazine Eclipsed features a long interview with Ian Anderson, who says he would like the remix series to continue at least up to Crest Of A Knave. Steven Wilson may have to be replaced because hie is too busy and his ever-increasing sucess as a solo musician.

Runicen and Plan9 like this.
  21. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

There are radio concerts from 1982, 1984 and 1987 on Wolfgang's Vault, which would fit nicely on the respective sets. The complete 1980 concert excerpted on Slipstream ought to be a no-brainer as well.

Runicen and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I will trade off the scheduke to one remix per year to keep Steve Wilson on the remixing deck.

23. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

You should order one anyway just in case you change your mind later. At worst, it appears to be an excellent investment. From looking at past sales on eBay, the going price for a sealed out-of-print anniversary edition is at least $150!

Kim Olesen and allbrosca like this.
  24. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

You changed my mind.... I will. I am also too curios about the three unreleased/variations of tracks.

25. Dok

Dok Senior Member