Jethro Tull 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Sep 3, 2017.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

There must be pro-shot video from this tour...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Yes indeed. Ankara in Turkey for example, but a few more I think as well.

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Never been a fan of those "Best ofs live" or "Greatest Hits live"

They never feel like a real live concert presentation. I haven't heard a single "Best of live" that is worth have. Truly.

And in the case of Tull, their live heyday was from 1970 to mid 70s. I don't have interest to hear Ian Anderson with no voice from the 80s to present days
    I'd rather have FULL archive concerts a la Dylan, Stones, etc

grbl, footlooseman, FVDnz and 3 others like this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Agree with best of live comps. They don’t work for me either (except a chosen few). Give me full gigs, or as full gigs as possible.
    No problem with Ians voice untill he blew it during the Under Wraps tour in 84. And the BBC Hammersmith recording is really good, and Ian is in good shape. Even some gigs up to, and including, the Rock Island tour were fine. After that i can’t really listen to his voice live.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Catfish Rising seemed a fine tour to me. Fond memories of Tull at Massey Hall...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I am really critical and opinionated , however I thought the j-tull.com tour was good

richierichie, Tullman and Runicen like this.
  7. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i saw that show at the concord pavilion and barely remember it

8. Kim Olesen

I saw them on the 25th tour ad Ian was in such “pain” that it was hard to watch. Neck stretched, eyes looking like they were popping out, and singing so much behind the beat that....well can’t really describe it.

Being a vocalist in a huge band is not an enviable position. The voice is a hard instrument to maintain, and as opposed to instrumentallists, vocalists often peak (much) earlier in life.

And no doubt Ian still loves to sing/play, and he should go on as long as he likes it IMO, i am just sad for him that his voice fell from his earlier powers.

Pete Puma likes this.
  9. I'm fairly sure there are no multitracks from the tours for Aqualung,TAAB,Passion Play or War Child.They are obviously the holy grail in live Tull besides what is out already.If this live retrospective box is happening I hope they have found releasable recordings from most or all of those 4 tours.

10. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I only saw Tull proper during this tour and remember it being good, if mixed in such a way that I could barely hear Ian's voice.

Thing is, if I could barely hear him then, he's all-but inaudible at this point. Seems like we should have some means to keep his voice floating in the mix given micing tech, etc.

11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Only time I ever got to see Tull was at the High Voltage Festival back in 2011 in London, where they headlined the Prog Stage on the Sunday evening. I didn't really remember much though it was still a good set - and add Joe Bonamassa joining the band onstage during their Locomotive Breath encore performance too which was exciting in itself. IA also had a solo set at Ramblin' Man over a couple years ago now but I missed that set in favour of seeing Bernie Marsden in the Blues tent performing classic Whitesnake tunes, while to my surprise Neil Murray also joined his former WS bandmate up there which made that performance more memorable to me. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

As "indescribable" as Dylan and his 'guess the song' voice of the 21st century?

john lennonist and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Yes we know there are no multitracks from those periods. But Ian said recently they were analyzing soundboard tapes in different formats for the forthcoming live release.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Whilst I actually fully agree with you that on the whole full live shows work better, I would like to highlight Bob Dylan Live 1961-2000 as an exception to this rule and I think it works quite successfully as a collection. No it doesn't feel like a live concert, nor does it make the pretence to, but there is a bit of thought gone into track selections and the change is sounds/styles/vocal is less jarring than I have heard in other collections.

I actually think Jethro could also pull this off.

15. Kim Olesen

That i wouldn’t be able to answer since i never listen to Dylan.

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Main difference is that Dylan is largely doing material from the past 15 years, which was written for his current voice. Anderson/Tull are still mainly doing early material.

Six Bachelors, GowG and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Honestly, I'm mostly perplexed by this. Why he feels the need to do stuff from mostly the first half of the '70s is beyond me when his voice would probably hold up better doing more recent stuff. And yes, traditionalists be damned, some of those later albums have excellent material on them.

yescool2002 likes this.
  18. JAG

you are seriously perplexed? he barely attracts an audience these days if he doesn't play aqualung and locomotive breath then he would be playing to 10 people

showtaper and Alan57 like this.
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Aqualung wasn't played on the TAB I & II tour, which did pretty well. Martin's band doesn't play it either.

20. JAG

want to bet he does them both as he has for every show Jethro tull has ever done for the last 45 years on this tour? pretty sure you get my point

21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Meanwhile Martin Barre's anniversary tour has confirmed a fall date (Oct 18) at the Narrows Ctr near Boston. No other dates or details as yet.

Matthew Tate and Pete Puma like this.
  22. JAG

Martin should play aqualung, it is one of the greatest guitar solos in rock history...

23. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I caught Martin Barre ‘s show at a club in Rochester, NY 2 years ago. He had a band in which there was a guy whose delivery was a dead ringer for early IA. Martin’s guitar was so incendiary, I felt like I was seeing Tull, alas, without the flute. Great show.

Edit: Dan Crisp was the vocalist. Looked it up.

Runicen and highway like this.
  24. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

maybe low on the importance schedule but I wouldn't mind benefit being reissued in uniform packaging with the rest of the recent reissues. I started getting them a bit after that so have passed on it waiting for it to happen. presuming we get this was would be nice to have it all from the start to heavy horses lined up on the shelf.

seems a easy way to get a bit of extra product out for the 50th with minimal work too which should appeal to them.

JeffreyB, Matthew Tate and bobcat like this.
  25. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

On his recent tour Martin has reintroduced Aqualung playing a shortened form as a medley after Loco Breath.

Just to note Tull fb pages seem to have confirmed the 50th anniversary This Was will be released mid-2018, nothing mentioned on the Tull website tho'