Jethro Tull 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Fingers crossed. And if it's in book form..... wow.

tinnox and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Agree :agree:

Loved Tull in its prime (the "Thick as a Brick" tour show was the best concert I've ever seen), but Ian's voice is completely shot now.

Also agree re Barrie and Evans joining Martin... too bad Glenn Cornick isn't still around to join them :cry:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    geodos and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I'd like to see a good reissue of Living in the Past on CD.

bhazen and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Find a copy of the MFSL Gold CD of "Living in the Past."

I listened to it (again) a couple of weeks ago... stunning material and sound :righton:

Terry, FritzL, bhazen and 3 others like this.
  5. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

I´m a Swede, but knows this one. It´s a blended malt (used to be called Pure malt or vatted malt Before). It´s a mix of Three different Single malts: Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Kininvie. This whisky is extremely smooth if you like that style. If you´re into more demandig whisky, you should pass this one.

dougb222 and Kiss73 like this.
  6. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I picked up an original copy on vinyl excellent shape

Terry likes this.
  7. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

I cannot find any post related to This Was on the official JT facebook. Can you be more specific or post the link?

makedatmusic and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I have a really hard time imagining there's that high a demand for the old "hits." Tull was never that kind of band. Also, the need to play "Aqualung" and "Locomotive Breath" still doesn't explain or excuse why the set proper is heavily weighted towards the first half of the '70s. They can play those two songs for easily skippable encores to their hearts' content, but I never will understand the need to "play it safe" for the rest of the set.

ParloFax likes this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I had the occasion to ask Martin Barre about this and he said those albums were "the good stuff" and that "nobody wants to hear songs from Dot Com." (I don't necessarily agree). But even he was frustrated with Tull's setlists, and his own band is mostly doing songs Tull weren't playing. I'm fine with him not doing Aqualung as long as he keeps doing "To Cry You a Song."

Runicen likes this.
  10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's gotta be easier for Ian to not have to rehearse different tunes with his current band. Seems like a trivial reason, but if the fans are responding, it's an easier life.

And yes, personally, I like to pretend DOT COM never happened. Even looking at the cover makes me feel a little ill.

11. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

you are confusing concert goers with real tull fans....especially in the states. the reason these classic rock bands are still touring is because the public are stupid and dont care about what is actually happening....how many people going to the 50th anniversary tull tour even knows who martin barre is or that he isnt there? he played a freakin bar in connecticut and I think there might have been 15 people there. i would argue i would rather see him than Ian at this point. I went to see robert plant and the audience got pissed because he didnt play all zeppelin tunes. can you imagine journey not playing dont stop believing, they dont even know steve perry isnt there....its business is why they have to play what the majority wants to hear or else they cant tour.....and after the show the walk out thinking they actually saw jethro tull perform

12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yup. If LITP is reissued, this is the tracklist and sound to emulate. Hoping for a Steve Wilson, when the 50th anniversary rolls around ...

Schmeig likes this.
  13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I saw Robert Plant at a festival in Australia in 2013. The people in front of me were looking decidedly unimpressed and one eventually turned to the rest and said, “let’s get out of here, there’s no Zeppelin ‘ere”! Plant was playing Goin’ To California at the time, which had been preceded by Black Dog! Not sure how those people would’ve coped when I first saw Plant in 1984 and he didn’t play a single Zeppelin track!

Siegmund and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Are you sure about that? That there are still that many actual "casual concert goers", who pay those high-priced tickets to hear merely Locomotive Breath? I for one have stopped going about 20 years ago, partly because the set list was too predictable. I realize we old fans are a dwindling race. But who knows who/what Jethro Tull is anymore outside of us, the ones who are familiar with the catalogue? I know it used to be different, but I hardly see any media exposure any longer for the "man on the street"...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I still wish Barre would mix it up with some more material. It's not like the good songs and guitar showcases ended in '75. Granted, I'd hardly think he puts the cut-off there in that he even put a semi-instrumental version of "Papparazi" from Under Wraps on one of his solo albums (spoiler alert: it's fricken' great!).

Dot Com wasn't that bad, was it? Yeah the title was kind of stupid and dated the minute it came out, but there are some great tracks on that album. "Hunt by Numbers" is a good laugh with a great riff. "Wicked Windows," "Bends Like a Willow," and "A Gift of Roses" are all top notch tracks. Is it as good as even Roots to Branches? No way! It's still better than what most bands churn out on average. Just trying to get some credit where due here. :winkgrin:

To your point about not having to rehearse additional songs... Eh, I want to disagree with you, but when I read about the logistics Ian had to deal with throughout the '70s at least in the booklets accompanying these latest reissues, I can understand why a guy in his twilight years would prefer an easier ride.

You have a point. It's a point I don't like, but yeah, I suspect you're pretty on the ball here. :(

This was my original point. I'm trying to figure out what casual audience is seeking out Ian Anderson tickets just to go see a show. At the same time, I do see what, for a lack of a better word, seems to be an "ignorant" audience at most any show I attend these days. These are people who seem to think nothing has happened musically since 1974 and who seem to wonder at the old guys on stage... :shrug:

Matthew Tate, ParloFax and Bonddm like this.
  16. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I will say I saw Martin Barre last year and when I went to buy the tickets a few weeks before I asked for two martin barre tickets and I said the date and the ticket seller looked at me blankly and looked up the date and said we don't have that we have Jethro tull.

then I went to buy tickets for ian Anderson(at a different venue) and the same exact thing happened.

so they may not officially tour as them but they are definitely understood to be Jethro tull on some level.

Matthew Tate, geodos and Runicen like this.
  17. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

I saw Martin twice recently. I was on the way home and was stopped for speeding by a NY State Trooper. I handed him my PBA card and the conversation went like this:
    Trooper- Where you coming from tonight?
    Me- Bayshore.
    Trooper- What was in Bayshore?
    Me-I went to a concert.
    Trooper-Who did you see?
    Me-Martin Barre.
    At this point he gave me a funny look, and I said, The guitarist from Jethro Tull.
    He said, Oh......I know Jethro Tull. Have a nice evening sir.
    And he gave me back my license.

ScramMan2, dougb222, Siegmund and 5 others like this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Seems he's lately doing "Steel Monkey" as well. But I was knocked out on his last tour to hear a mix of good new stuff (his own, not Tull) with favorite Tull songs that I'd never heard live. And I suspect he'll mix things up more on the coming tour.

Runicen, Matthew Tate and ParloFax like this.
  19. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I'd love a copy. I let it go by when it was released. :rolleyes::(

20. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

It's from a Tull fan FB page that I can't link, presumably because it's a closed group. The admin who posted seems to have close ties with some group members and Warners, so take it with as many pinches of salt as you wish. I believe it myself although I really don't think This Was needs doing again.

TCYAS want dropped on the last tour, added a great version of Sealion tho'.

Surely you can compile this yourself from the other remix sets and the Carnegie show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Another anniversary release. Just what we need. So, just to affirm, there's no real JT reunion, correct? IA isn't going to do anything with Barre or the other ex band members (which would be splendid).

22. Daniel Falaschi

Maybe you can post a screenshot of thr fb page?

23. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It’s funny how Ian Anderson solo seems to be slowly morphing back into being Jethro Tull.

I have a couple of fb friends who actually think they’ve seen the band Jethro Tull in the last couple of years.

Bonddm likes this.
  24. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

I understand he'll have virtual guests a la Anna Phoebe in the Jethro Tull rock opera. I don't think any names have been announced.

Tbh I wouldn't be comfortable doing that, the fb group is "The Jethro Tull Group"

Yes the "by Ian Anderson" is very small or omitted. The poster for the 50th anniversary on the official Tull website has "Ian Anderson presents" at the top as if he is the promoter not performer. Very muddy indeed

Bonddm and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Daniel Falaschi

This one?

The Jethro Tull Group's Boy Scout Manual

No mention of This Was...