Jethro Tull 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Sep 3, 2017.

1. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

He is playing the day before my birthday locally and my wife saw the ad. She calls my brother to say she is thinking of getting me tickets. He said you better check with him. I told her I would be extremely upset if you wasted money on this nonsense. Jethro Tull hasn't existed in a long time and Ian hasn't sung on stage for awhile.

Keith V likes this.
  2. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

Maybe you have to consider this - it might be your last chance to see this music legend, that's why I'm going to the show (And I love the music)

3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I hope there is a release of something from the vaults from way back when. I still have my 25th box which was a great release back then. Do folk think the deluxe series will carry on after Heavy Horses due out this week?

4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Apparently Wilson plans to remix a deluxe Stormwatch (no word on what the bonus content would be). There is speculation that the series might extend into the early 80s albums, but nothing has been confirmed.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

The Tull is coming to Ottawa this summer. I best go see them at the Blues Festival!

6. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

While SW has not been yet confirmed for Stormwatch, all leads to him doing so. Dun ringill is his all time Tull tune.
    There are strong rumours there will be an expanded (not clear if remixed) This was later this year.

7. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Considering Anderson’s creative renaissance during Giddings’ tenure, it’s still perplexing to me why Anderson cut him to the curb!

Runicen likes this.
  8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Best guess? Ian just said life was too short to bother compromising with another composer in the room. Probably also why he ditched the last Tull lineup for a group of gifted players who don't seem to be paid for anything more than playing what's handed to them.

Reading the book accompanying the re-release of Songs from the Wood, it's amazing how much the other members of the band added to and shaped those songs. By comparison, the "making of" info I've gotten on the last few IA albums basically amounted to him sending the musicians what he wanted them to play and them showing up to play it - no editorializing needed, thank you.

9. SGene

SGene Senior Member

Just returned from the premiere of the tour in Aalborg, Denmark last night. The tour programme states that the SW This Was remix (stereo + 4.0) will be released in November. There is also a 3CD set planned for May called 50 for 50 including best of, live tracks and EP tracks (no tracklist yet)

10. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

That's great news!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    calgary669, Matthew Tate and SGene like this.
  11. This is excellent news. Thanks for sharing

Matthew Tate and SGene like this.
  12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Oooo. I want the 3 CD set. Although I hope it stops at the Christmas Album.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. SGene

SGene Senior Member

If memory serves (I'm at work right now) it said that the set will include tracks from each of the studio albums. Not sure if the CA counts among them?

Matthew Tate and Keith V like this.
  14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Sounds good. I just hope they don’t put on tracks from Ian Anderson’s Jethro Tull (although I like Walk into Light a lot...we will see....and we will buy. Lol)

SGene likes this.
  15. SGene

SGene Senior Member

I hope there will be a few surprises, though - I loved the 20 years set, but I'm not sure how many more previously unreleased recordings they can dig out that haven't already been released.
    I have my hopes ud for some unreleased live material. Please make it be good :)
    I like WiL as well, but a vinyl release of Secret Language of Birds is long overdue...

Matthew Tate and Keith V like this.
  16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Yes. And I hope it skips around like the 20years set. And the book that oughta be good

SGene likes this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'd be all over This Was. A 3-CD compilation? No. Not if it's just album tracks.

Matthew Tate and Carserguev like this.
  18. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm at a bit of a loss at who the audience for the 3 CD comp would be. Maybe I'm off-base, but I'd suspect most fans are already keeping an eye on the newly remixed albums and picking those up as they drop. How many are going, "FINALLY! I get a compilation of all those Jethro Tull tracks I don't own in any way, shape, or form!"

Granted, there may be some collector bait thrown in for good measure. We'll have to see.

19. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Evans will never play onstage again. He's begun a new life, and Tull is but a memory.

20. Grassy Sound

They officially disbanded in 2011.

Matthew Tate and Kim Olesen like this.
  21. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Jethro Tull "This Was" and Mr. Steven Wilson

Saw this post on Quadraphonic Quad before here - so this is the (another) forum where it originated. Full circle-the circle is small...:winkgrin: :laugh:

Jethro Tull - "This Was" Steven Wilson 2.0/4.0 Remix!

:cheers: Thanks for the news.

Matthew Tate and SGene like this.
  22. Grassy Sound

The A show was from LA, and about 90 minutes of it was recorded by, I believe, King Biscuit. It's available in trading circles, as is a St. Louis A show, though that one's just under an hour in length.

Two Hammersmith shows were recorded in full in 1984. They can be found on Wolfgang's Vault.

I'd LOVE to hear a complete recording of the Hamburg 1982 show!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Kim Olesen likes this.
  23. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

That's a given......

24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I should correct myself. I was referring to substantial collector bait rather than the usual one or two tracks unavailable elsewhere... :winkgrin:

25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I’m a big fan but I’ve got a feeling I’d listen more to a 3disc comp than each album. I’m still on the fence about getting the Heavy Horses set as I’ve only listened to the last three or four only once.
    I did make a playlist of the best of the bonus tracks though.