Jethro Tull - "A Passion Play" Deluxe Edition Due June 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsayers, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Yes, that opening where the voice moves towards you is very well managed. In his comments in the (very good) booklet Wilson says that the innate theatricality of the album works well in surround, and this is certainly going to become one of my go-to surround discs. Even amongst the (many!) SW discs, this one is special.

Incidentally I had never heard 'The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles' before and ... I rather like it. I haven't been tempted to skip it, certainly.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Just got this, just listened to cd 1. . . wonderful mix and sound.

Chris Haley likes this.
  3. This is how "Deluxe" sets should be put together. Great value here. I think Steve Wilson's decision not to include the 90s flute overdubs on the Chateau material was a good move because we now have a choice; we can pull out Nitecap for the 90's flute which works quite well for 3-4 traks, or listen to this release with the more prominent keys and guitars.

4. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I've only heard the new stereo mix 24/96 so far but I like it. Looking forward to the 5.1 DTS version.

5. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

I listened to both DVDs last night (stereo 24/96 only) and am very, very pleased. I really enjoyed the Chateau tapes, the sound is superb. I purposely avoided listening to A Passion Play, Night Cap or the 20th Anniversary set while waiting for this to arrive so my ears could be "fresh". I'll go back tonight and compare DVD/CD 2 to the previously released versions, but on its own merits the 2014 SW version is a winner!

tootull likes this.
  6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

For starters: In player aspect ratio must be set to 16:9 to avoid this problem.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

How is the mastering of the original stereo mix on the DVD?

8. It was an interesting historical find that "The Hair Who Lost His Spectacles" was also salvaged from the Chateau recordings. It does fit the animal motif very well.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Trust me, it was plenty long in concert. It didn't out stay its welcome but glad it didn't go on longer.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I noticed in the remix Wilson has turned up the voices at the end just enough so there is no doubt they are saying "Steve, Caroline."

11. Say

Say Forum Resident

this dry version of Château is finally listenable without ear fatigue. The Nightcaps version was not only a heavy dub affair but a loud one at that with, as it seemed, reversed polarity (imho - the sound was projected into the room and lacked field of depth). That is all fixed now. Nice added benefit - the 24/96 version sounds sublime!

ParloFax likes this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I've always had mixed feelings about this album in the past, but after reading the rave reviews here and elsewhere, I'm ready to go back now and re-examine with the engrossing surround sound of SW. I have been checking out the Chateau stuff over on Spotify and it's fascinating to hear this new reconstruction. It sounds like Wilson's really cleaned up these original performances. It's nice to see the Tull back catalog get the treatment it deserves with these deluxe editions.

The price at importcd's is now down below $25.

qtrules and pdenny like this.
  13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I miss the flute in "No Rehearsal", but such a great set!

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The DTS 5.1 surround layer of A PASSION PLAY is really well done and sounds very nice.

This is one Tull album I don't play much. I've got the MFSL gold CD, which I probably haven't played since its release.

"The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles" ... why would anyone ever listen to this track twice? WTF, Ian Anderson?

15. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

because ist ****ing great ?

I always liked it (maybe because I was just 13 when I bought A Passion Play) and find it a work of genius to put THAT in the middle of something like APP

therockman, Galeans, tootull and 3 others like this.
  16. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Mine arrived today no time so much quality 5.1 released this month,

dougb222 likes this.
  17. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Mine hasn't even shipped yet, and there is a huge Amazon shipping facility in the state next to mine. I wonder if it's because I picked the free shipping option? (although I'm not sure how I got it, I think it's only good for purchases $35.00 and more). Based on past experience I'll probably get A Passion Play with the CSNY 1974 discs.

18. 'A Passion Play' is intended as a two act play with 'The Hare...' as the interlude. The 'Play' itself is quite heavy thematically so the interlude is a short light hearted break in the proceedings to allow the audience to catch it's breath. If you view it this way it makes perfect sense.

rstamberg, tootull, ParloFax and 2 others like this.
  19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

"Hare" is just a bit of fun. It's hillarious and i love it.

therockman, tootull and fuse999 like this.
  20. And imagine, within the context of a hockey arena filled to the brim with early 70s RnR punters... I thought THAT in itself was pretty hilarious!

tootull, JAG and Kim Olesen like this.
  21. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Actually it's hairillious :)

izgoblin, tootull, JAG and 1 other person like this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I always wondered if the silly accent of the narrator during the Hare interlude is supposed to be a French accent?

23. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
    French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
    King Arthur: What are you then?
    French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Carserguev likes this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sounds more Scottish to me.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Just listening to the stereo 24/96 version, sounds great. SW is getting better and better.

tootull likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.