Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Did anyone that ordered the 2 CD set from CDwow actually GET it? I preordered this back in like August, and they show the status as "backordered". I was thinking of just cancelling my order there but can't even figure out how to do it (their website has no way to do that)....

2. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

Probably wishful thinking on my part...

did someone say there is a way to get Amazon to match their price to competitors offering it for less?

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No. Amazon doesn't do that. ONE forum member says he's the sole exception.

4. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

That's what I said as I sold a customer my last Who Live At Leeds deluxe box last year...was unfortunately not the case :(

5. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

Thanks, Myke, for the info you provided.

If many feel that the 40th Anniversary CD is better than the Hoffman-mastered CD, does it follow that the new vinyl is better than the DCC LP?

Does anyone own both the new LP and the DCC LP...and how do they compare?

6. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

The rule is simple - if you are worried it will sell out, and you can afford it, you should buy it now.

If you can't afford it (like me!), it doesn't matter whether it sells out or not...

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It makes a difference when there's a $75.00 difference in price.

8. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

The remix blows the DCC out of the water (and I paid over $200 for the DCC grumble grumble... I just had to hear it). Everything is clearer, cleaner, and there is FINALLY some low end to this album.

It's funny, before I found this forum I thought "remastering" was exactly what Steven Wilson is doing - taking the multitracks and creating a new master tape, not taking an old master tape and "playing it back" on a decent deck and sending it through various processing circuitry. I never understood the taboo against remixing, especially when it's being done like the Wilson remixes, being very faithful to the original mastering.

Aqualung is probably one of the best examples of an album where going back to the original multitracks in order to mix it "properly" is completely warranted and highly desired. I can't imagine anyone arguing that the new remix is an abomination or "rewriting history" or whatever else people might have against the remix approach. And what better way for the "majors" to get us to buy YET ANOTHER version of an old workhorse?

Keep 'em coming, I say!

9. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Received mine yesterday, just finished listening to the high rez blu ray 5.1 mix-absolutely stunning work by Stephen Wilson. I never dreamed Aqualung could sound this good.

10. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

The version on MU is the quad version. Ians voice sounds better and the guitar riffs stand out more and alternate between speakers. Cooler version imo. The quad version of Wind up is taken from the early version on disc 2 of the 40 year Aqualung. This early version is the best version and a lot better than album version imo. I always skipped the song once it got to the 2 minute mark because I didn't like how Martin riffed and Ian sang from that point. But the early version doesn't have all that guitar and Ians voice sounds different.

11. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

well... when i see the results of what SW did on king crimson AND aqualung, i am pretty sure that :
    1. remixing is great when done with taste and god knows SW has some.
    2. musicians like SW have in all evidence the ear to make awesome remixes like that, even if they are not high end professionals using high end stuffs with tubes and so forth.
    it looks like there will be soon a remix of "thick as a brick"
    no use telling you that i'll do my best to get it ... hehe :goodie:

12. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

keep cool ... that annoying music is the last opus of SW :
    Bass Communion Cenotaph

[​IMG]

i can perfectly understand tht u dont like ... but "annoying" is a personal statement

13. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Yeah, you got me, buddy. Congrats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.